Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 90239

ph Offline Semajmarx007

• Deus Ex Machina
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #540 on: August 30, 2017, 05:12:32 AM
I have been in love with the Explorer for the longest time but has only acquired one just recently (i keep buying other models and delaying the inevitable).

It actually complements my other hobby of collecting fountain pens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vi veri veniversum vivus vici

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #541 on: August 30, 2017, 06:07:18 AM
I found a new love for the Explorer. Decided to put some camp scales on as well as a dangler and make it my carry for a while.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #542 on: August 30, 2017, 12:03:44 PM
The nearest I have to the Explorer are these two.

Both get occasional carry, but my Explorer got sold on.
IMG_20170830_110059_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20170830_110059_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 94 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

at Offline Peter1960

Reply #543 on: August 30, 2017, 03:36:55 PM
For my taste an Explorer is too bulky for EDC, but from time to time I  can't resist ...

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #544 on: August 30, 2017, 06:05:46 PM

Those are both awesome!  Lmk if you ever want to trade the Wenger...  I'll give you an Explorer and another SAK  :D

Since I put white plus scales on one of my Explorers... I think it's the only one I need.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:06:57 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #545 on: August 30, 2017, 06:10:45 PM

Those are both awesome!  Lmk if you ever want to trade the Wenger...  I'll give you an Explorer and another SAK  :D

Since I put white plus scales on one of my Explorers... I think it's the only one I need.

Thanks Corky, but Brian (that's the Wenger) is going nowhere  :D It wasn't easy coming by the parts to make it, and I wouldn't like to start hunting afresh  :ahhh (particularly not having the ebay access that you do)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #546 on: August 30, 2017, 06:12:18 PM

Thanks Corky, but Brian (that's the Wenger) is going nowhere  :D It wasn't easy coming by the parts to make it, and I wouldn't like to start hunting afresh  :ahhh (particularly not having the ebay access that you do)

Oh! I didn't even know it was Mod.  There are simply not enough cool multi-layer Wengers in the used markets.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #547 on: August 30, 2017, 06:16:00 PM

Oh! I didn't even know it was Mod.  There are simply not enough cool multi-layer Wengers in the used markets.

Yeah, finding the right Wenger can be hard work alright. I'm not sure if that's because there weren't enough produced, or that folks really don't want to let them go

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #548 on: August 30, 2017, 06:18:44 PM

Yeah, finding the right Wenger can be hard work alright. I'm not sure if that's because there weren't enough produced, or that folks really don't want to let them go

Probably a little of both,  but overall, Wenger has made a small fraction of what Vic has made as far as numbers go.    I think Vic has made like 10x as many.  I should at least get a Handyman, they're pretty common... but I want one with that clip on it.  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #549 on: August 30, 2017, 06:30:30 PM
Yeah, I built this as I wanted an inline Phillips but have no love for that aligator wrench thing that's normally opposite :-\ I got this one off an in-line skater model (but I think there's a few other models that have it) and dumped it in the middle of a Traveller, so it's like a Wenger version of an Explorer, but with the carabiner instead of mag glass

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #550 on: August 30, 2017, 10:38:22 PM
Yeah, I built this as I wanted an inline Phillips but have no love for that aligator wrench thing that's normally opposite :-\ I got this one off an in-line skater model (but I think there's a few other models that have it) and dumped it in the middle of a Traveller, so it's like a Wenger version of an Explorer, but with the carabiner instead of mag glass

I like your Brian, 50ft, very nice mod!  :hatsoff:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #551 on: August 30, 2017, 10:48:55 PM

I like your Brian, 50ft, very nice mod!  :hatsoff:

Thank Strm  :cheers:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #552 on: September 05, 2017, 03:19:57 AM
Pic reposting, yaddiyaddiyaa, smurfbucket, you know the drill...

Edit: Not the original pic, but rather newer better one  :D

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #553 on: September 14, 2017, 07:39:54 PM
Exploring the shed  :D
2017-09-14 12.32.25.jpg
* 2017-09-14 12.32.25.jpg (Filesize: 251.64 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #554 on: September 14, 2017, 07:58:14 PM
That's what it's all about Zed!
Barry

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #555 on: September 14, 2017, 08:02:27 PM
HELL Yes sawman
That's why I've got 3 4 of them.
You've got thirty-four if them?!
Good lord!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #556 on: September 14, 2017, 08:23:39 PM
Funnily enough that's exactly the reason why I DO like the Explorer. Here in the UK, it's very unwise to pull out a knife, whether it be non-locking or whatever. But the small blade on the Vic's seems to be perfectly acceptable and totally unthreatening
Honest, non-trolling question. Even the large blade is only about 3 or so inches long. What consequences are there for opening a 3 inch, non-locking blade for non-assaultive use?

Have you or someone you know ever been busted by the police for it?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:29:49 PM by Tired_Yeti »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #557 on: September 14, 2017, 08:29:53 PM
That's what it's all about Zed!

:cheers:  Shed life  ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #558 on: September 14, 2017, 10:20:52 PM
Funnily enough that's exactly the reason why I DO like the Explorer. Here in the UK, it's very unwise to pull out a knife, whether it be non-locking or whatever. But the small blade on the Vic's seems to be perfectly acceptable and totally unthreatening
Honest, non-trolling question. Even the large blade is only about 3 or so inches long. What consequences are there for opening a 3 inch, non-locking blade for non-assaultive use?

Have you or someone you know ever been busted by the police for it?

Tosh doesn't log in that often these days, but I'll offer my thoughts on the matter  :salute:

I've never had an issue with the police, but I did once get questioned about one. I used my knife (Byrd Wings Slipit) in front of an officer, and he raised an eyebrow and asked to see it. I said, "sure" and handed it over, and said "non-locking, before you ask" with a smile. We were both in an office setting at the time, and he reached for a rule. "Less than three inches too" I said. "Oh, you know your stuff do you" he retorted, and we ended up having a good conversation about them. In the end, he was asking my advice on what type of knives might be suitable for him in his line of work, saying many of his colleagues had "Leatherman type things" but he didn't have that kind of money. I threw a few suggestions his way (can't remember what to be honest), and that was that.

Farmman who is a member here, but whose life has gone off in a different direction to multitools had a couple of incidents too. One was when he was in a supermarket with his kids, and an officer saw the clip on his pocket, and asked if it was a knife, to which he replied yes. They asked to see it (again, it was a Wings Slipit) and as he handed it over, he told her it was non-locking and less than three inches. She had a good look over the knife, and asked why he carried it. He replied "Just the usual pocket knife cutting tasks, it's just a modern version of a traditional locking knife, and I also carry a knifeless multitool too". Her eyebrows raised at that, and she asked to see that it, so he showed her the Knifeless Fuse. She apparently looked as if she wasn't particularly happy about it, but handed them back to him, and thanked him for his time. They both knew he was carrying them legally.

On another occasion, he was rigging at a local theatre, and come out of the stage door of the theatre to get some lunch. He started crossing the road outside the road, and before he got to the other side an officer shouted him over. "What's that on your belt sir?". Mark thought, "Oh crap, here we go" - it was his ST300, a large locking blade tool. He said it's a Leatherman, and the officer scowled and asked him why he was carrying it. "Lighting crew" said Mark "You've just seen me walk out of the stage door, I'm just going to grab a sandwich and never thought to take it off my belt". "No problem, Sir" replied the officer "Just take it off your belt and put it in your pocket so it's not on show". He stood there while Mark did so, then both parties walked away happy.

As an aside, I have also walked outside a court house with a fixed blade knife in a sheath on my belt. I was penning a narrowboat though the lock in front of the courthouse at the time. No questions were asked.

us Offline italophil

Reply #559 on: September 18, 2017, 09:03:24 PM
Inline phillips and scissors are great!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #560 on: September 18, 2017, 11:40:18 PM
Great pic!!
Barry

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #561 on: September 19, 2017, 06:18:27 AM
Nice, I was wondeeing what that smaller layered one with an inline phillips and magnifier I've been seeing is.  :salute:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #562 on: September 21, 2017, 01:25:26 AM
I saw this thread over the weekend and since the Explorer is my favorite SAK, I definitely have appreciation for this remarkable tool!

Since I spent some time organizing my SAKs today so that like SAKs are grouped together, I decided to get a count of my Explorers. Right now, they number 23 22 (one turned out to be a Woodsman and was hiding with the Explorers) and counting (possibly 2 more to join the collection)!

:climber:

Jim

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #563 on: September 21, 2017, 01:28:28 AM
I saw this thread over the weekend and since the Explorer is my favorite SAK, I definitely have appreciation for this remarkable tool!

Since I spent some time organizing my SAKs today so that like SAKs are grouped together, I decided to get a count of my Explorers. Right now, they number 23 22 (one turned out to be a Woodsman and was hiding with the Explorers) and counting (possibly 2 more to join the collection)!

Jim

Nice, hide them in little caches outside hidden around places you frequent so you'll always one close by :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #564 on: September 21, 2017, 02:55:21 AM
A Woodsman?  That's not a bad knife to find in any group!
Barry

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #565 on: September 21, 2017, 06:39:00 AM
A Woodsman?  That's not a bad knife to find in any group!

Yes, it's got the grey-framed magnifier and typical Explorer tools along with the saw. After it arrived, I must have put it with my used SAKs and then forgot all about it. I probably wouldn't have noticed it except for some initials in the scales. Looking closer, I noticed the saw before it dawned on me that it was the Woodsman with unsightly scales that I bought in an e-bay auction. I only paid $29 for it--why people can't see past flawed scales is puzzling since they are easily replaced with new scales.

Jim

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #566 on: September 21, 2017, 07:00:14 AM

Jim

Nice, hide them in little caches outside hidden around places you frequent so you'll always one close by :tu:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have all I can handle with my around-the-house caches.

I started out with some reasonable purchases for my first Explorers (one new black & one new red Explorer with clear magnifier) and then noticed an auction for a grey-framed magnifier in excellent condition. When it arrived, it was in almost new condition and the grey-framed magnifier made a huge impression. I was so excited, I had to show my wife who also loved it and thanked me for it--how do they do that? Naturally, I had to get another and the hunt was on! Mostly, I've looked for unique features such as BSA or BSA Eagle Scout scales, Silver Tech Scales plus other colors (White, Solid Blue, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, Hunter Green), Plus Scales (includes Pen) and various older NIB and unusual offerings. I didn't set out to collect these things but that is how it turned out. I do have plenty of duplicates which makes it convenient to have them in various places throughout the house.

I have discovered that I really like the magnifier SAKs like the Scientist, Yeoman, Explorer, Woodsman and Swiss Champ. There are others but I only listed ones that I have collected.

Jim

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #567 on: September 21, 2017, 11:34:49 AM
I do too Jim!  I'm packing my Swisschamp now, and use that mag glass more and more as time goes by.
Barry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #568 on: September 21, 2017, 01:44:54 PM
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #569 on: September 21, 2017, 01:54:48 PM
Classy pic Gareth!!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00