Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 90245

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #570 on: September 21, 2017, 01:56:53 PM
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #571 on: September 21, 2017, 03:23:34 PM
I can't see the pic and the url is scary long...
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #572 on: September 21, 2017, 05:14:35 PM
Lets try that again then. :)

DSC_0133.JPG
* DSC_0133.JPG (Filesize: 182.5 KB)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #573 on: September 21, 2017, 06:04:25 PM
Lets try that again then. :)

(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :like: :like:

Nice photo!

For me, it's Camo today...

Explorer Camo by Jim Person, on Flickr

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #574 on: September 23, 2017, 05:00:11 PM

glassy companion to the Shiny tool
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #575 on: September 23, 2017, 05:31:05 PM

glassy companion to the Shiny tool

Good tool set!

Jim

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #576 on: September 23, 2017, 08:41:00 PM
 :like:  :tu: :tu:
Barry

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #577 on: September 28, 2017, 01:56:22 AM
Silly question coming at y'all.

Do they make a similar tool to the explorer with something else in the place of the magnifying glass?

Mainly concerned with having the 3 under tools, knife scissors, and especially having the philips out the front.

Thanks
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #578 on: September 28, 2017, 02:18:49 AM

Do they make a similar tool to the explorer with something else in the place of the magnifying glass?

Mainly concerned with having the 3 under tools, knife scissors, and especially having the philips out the front.

Thanks

The inline philips driver takes up half the space in a SAK layer and is typically paired with the magnifier, which takes up the remaining space within the layer. I can't think of any exceptions but there are so many SAKs past and present that I don't know for sure.

On a lighter side, you have a good question but posting it in the Explorer's Appreciation thread is like fingernails on the blackboard since the magnifier is one of the reasons many of us like the Explorer. :)

The people in this Swiss Army Knights forum are friendly and helpful and if there is a tool like the one you are seeking, there is a strong likelihood that someone knows about it.  Alternatively, there is a group of folks with the skills to modify SAKs and create configurations that Victorinox hasn't created.

Good luck!

Jim

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #579 on: September 28, 2017, 02:20:44 AM

Thanks
There is some with a light instead of the magnifying glas. I think huntsman lite and spartan lite if I remember correctly..

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #580 on: September 28, 2017, 02:35:46 AM

Thanks

The inline philips driver takes up half the space in a SAK layer and is typically paired with the magnifier, which takes up the remaining space within the layer. I can't think of any exceptions but there are so many SAKs past and present that I don't know for sure.

On a lighter side, you have a good question but posting it in the Explorer's Appreciation thread is like fingernails on the blackboard since the magnifier is one of the reasons many of us like the Explorer. :)

The people in this Swiss Army Knights forum are friendly and helpful and if there is a tool like the one you are seeking, there is a strong likelihood that someone knows about it.  Alternatively, there is a group of folks with the skills to modify SAKs and create configurations that Victorinox hasn't created.

Good luck!

Jim
I guess it depends on the size you want. The S557 is 85mm has the inline Phillips and a "wrench"

There is also the 111mm Workchamp that has a #1 and #2 inline Phillips

Come to think of it, the 111mm line has quite a few options: Workchamp pic above

Hercules

And the outrider come to mind

I guess it depends on how much knife you want to carry

Lastly, SakWiki http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php is the best place to go to for sake of past and present. Check it out, hope you find what you want :tu:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:49:15 AM by Demel »
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #581 on: September 28, 2017, 03:46:47 AM
Thanks guys. Appreciate the response. I was just curious, not saying the mag isn't useful. In fact I really want a explorer. Looks to be a fantastic piece. Thanks guys, hope to join your crew soon!

Thanks Demel for the pics and models of other out the front philips  :tu:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #582 on: September 28, 2017, 04:17:08 AM
Thanks guys. Appreciate the response. I was just curious, not saying the mag isn't useful. In fact I really want a explorer. Looks to be a fantastic piece. Thanks guys, hope to join your crew soon!

Thanks Demel for the pics and models of other out the front philips  :tu:

Good deal!

I had taken your "like the Explorer" to pertain to the 91mm SAKs. As Demel pointed out, there are some excellent 111mm choices. I have Work Champ and think it is an excellent tool that feels great in the hand.

The Explorer is my favorite SAK partly because of the magnifier (I am also partial to other SAKs with magnifiers). For me, it helps when I need to read small print or serial numbers. If you have young eyes with better than 20/20 vision, the magnifier won't have the same usefulness. I'm definitely not impartial. For example, tonight I ordered my 23rd Explorer (Eagle Scout insignia).

Jim

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #583 on: September 28, 2017, 04:40:03 AM

Thanks

If you can cope with having slightly thicker and more delicate scales, there's the Voyager Lite. Not only does it replace the mag glass with the light, it also has an alarm clock countdown timer, and all the plus scale tools on the rear scale. I agree totally with your motivation for this question, and that's what inspired me to build the Wenger mod a while back too.

Pic already used earlier in this thread, but thanks for giving me the excuse to show it again  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #584 on: September 28, 2017, 05:29:48 AM
Perfect guys. Thanks for the responses again. Feels good narrowing down the options to "the right one"  :cheers:

Makes sense now that the mag and in line philips are a 1-2 punch on the 91mm because of size and placement  :tu:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #585 on: October 03, 2017, 10:38:51 PM
Just got the explorer. Couldn't wait, had to have it!! Question, is it supposed to come with the pin needle? Mine has the spot for it, but not there. Can these be bought off the shelf to fit from a store or something, (I don't have any laying around to try.)
IMG_1665.JPG
* IMG_1665.JPG (Filesize: 258.72 KB)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #586 on: October 03, 2017, 10:49:03 PM
Just got the explorer. Couldn't wait, had to have it!! Question, is it supposed to come with the pin needle? Mine has the spot for it, but not there. Can these be bought off the shelf to fit from a store or something, (I don't have any laying around to try.)

Congratulations on your first Explorer! Both of my original Explorer Plus purchases from Amazon came with the pin in place but with all my many purchases both new and used (just purchased my 25th Explorer), it is a coin toss as to whether an Explorer will arrive with a pin or not.  Older models had scales with no hole for the pin.  Newer ones are likely to have the hole. I mostly ignore the pins since I don't really have a use for one but I imagine that most pins available in stores will fit.

Jim

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #587 on: October 03, 2017, 11:40:12 PM

Congratulations on your first Explorer! Both of my original Explorer Plus purchases from Amazon came with the pin in place but with all my many purchases both new and used (just purchased my 25th Explorer), it is a coin toss as to whether an Explorer will arrive with a pin or not.  Older models had scales with no hole for the pin.  Newer ones are likely to have the hole. I mostly ignore the pins since I don't really have a use for one but I imagine that most pins available in stores will fit.

Jim
Got an Explorer myself recently.
It came without pin but with the hole. I know from past experience that a variety of pins will fit.

To be honest though, it's not really the SAK for me :(
Maybe when I get older and actualy need the mag glas to read small writing...
:shrug:

Edit: it's an ad knife with a metal inlayed ad for a Swiss paper-machine company, complete with company name and logo, Vic shield on backside.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:41:29 PM by Mechanickal »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #588 on: October 04, 2017, 12:20:40 AM
I've already used the mag glass on a couple occasions. One to read a serial number, again to inspect another knife. Very cool!  8)

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #589 on: October 04, 2017, 12:28:25 AM
I belive that the pin only comes with the plus model. But go to the nearest sewing chop and by a case really cheap. At least that what I did. It is a spartan in the picture but also the pins I use for all of my SAK's

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #590 on: October 04, 2017, 01:00:32 AM
Mine isn't the Plus model, but it does have the pin hole. Bought it used/like new, but came with no pin. Strangely, one went missing from my wife's sewing kit   :whistle:
"The older I get, the better I was".

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #591 on: October 04, 2017, 02:01:52 AM
Mine too Wolfy!!!
Barry

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #592 on: October 04, 2017, 02:10:14 AM
I belive that the pin only comes with the plus model. But go to the nearest sewing chop and by a case really cheap. At least that what I did. It is a spartan in the picture but also the pins I use for all of my SAK's

I saw that. Went into Michaels hobby store and they have a box of a thousand for like $5... but I only need 1! And the need is subjective at this point. Although I'd like to have it.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #593 on: October 04, 2017, 05:52:13 AM

I saw that. Went into Michaels hobby store and they have a box of a thousand for like $5... but I only need 1! And the need is subjective at this point. Although I'd like to have it.
I know the feeling.. My box was cheaper, but then I have extra

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #594 on: October 04, 2017, 05:56:34 AM
I had to buy a couple of dress shirts. Between the two there were about 8 of these pins that fit perfectly.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #595 on: October 05, 2017, 04:58:18 AM

If your wife/girlfriend/sister/aunt has a sewing kit, ask for one of their straight pins...it will work.  :tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #596 on: October 05, 2017, 05:24:54 AM
+1. The only Vic pin I have is the one that came with my Swisschamp.
Barry

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #597 on: October 06, 2017, 11:30:18 PM
Red/white  I'm liking it better than black/white :D
se.jpg
* se.jpg (Filesize: 140.4 KB)
se2.jpg
* se2.jpg (Filesize: 155.81 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #598 on: October 15, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
Is this the perfect SAK? (For me) It's seems to be! I love every tool on this, I don't have a big use for a tiny saw (don't even care for them on my LMs)

I love this toolset and size. I feel like I found the one  :cheers:

Or has this already been established as such? Lol
IMG_1963.JPG
* IMG_1963.JPG (Filesize: 317.82 KB)
IMG_1964.JPG
* IMG_1964.JPG (Filesize: 222.52 KB)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:24:51 PM by kaput »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #599 on: October 15, 2017, 08:56:38 PM
Carried it today and still don't get the Explorer.
A Ranger is like 1mm thicker but adds so much more usefullness for me. Going to look for one of those I think. Or maybe a Master Craftsman.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%