Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 89786

Offline Helvetica Bold

Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #990 on: July 08, 2020, 10:47:10 PM
Finally. And old glass magnifier Explorer in sensational condition. Other than some scuffs on the scales, the knife appears to be completely unused. This is from my favorite generation of 91mm SAKs. Grey housing and glass lens. Riveted scissors and package hook. Thick tang main blade with crossbow stamp. Stronger corkscrew. Awl with sewing eye. Explorer perfection.

(Image removed from quote.)

All the good stuff on that one!  :like:

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #991 on: July 09, 2020, 01:59:58 AM
 :tu:   :cheers:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Acuphys1

Reply #992 on: July 09, 2020, 02:01:44 AM
:woohoo:  :tu:

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Use what you have to get what you want.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #993 on: July 09, 2020, 10:11:19 AM
Did someone say Explorer's?  I can't live without mine (the three amigo's) and even though I try others, I always come back to the Explorer!  Usually carry the one in the middle with Ruby Plus scales!  ;)

Nice trio there...are those green jelly scales available as replacement items or just as limited edition? I’ve looked for them but they don’t seem to come up anywhere and I have and old Swiss Champ that would look very nice in a set of these.  :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #994 on: July 20, 2020, 08:47:26 PM
I can’t find the post back in March to see the pic, but you’re probably referring to the ‘Victorinox color twins’ set that was a small kitchen knife and green (or orange) Spartan combo. Google to see if that’s what you’re looking for...  :think:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #995 on: July 21, 2020, 07:17:19 PM
Nice trio there...are those green jelly scales available as replacement items or just as limited edition? I’ve looked for them but they don’t seem to come up anywhere and I have and old Swiss Champ that would look very nice in a set of these.  :hatsoff:
Doris Martino has them on the ‘bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SWISS-ARMY-VICTORINOX-91mm-EMERALD-PLUS-SCALES-W-TOOTHPICK-TWEEZER-FREE-SHIP-/382285261733

Those are the c. ‘99/‘00 (solid) translucent plus scales in sir mike’s pic. The color twin scales are ‘back painted’ (like silvertech) and a much lighter color...and a modern scale design that’s not available AFAIK in plus form. I only have the Orange color twin type.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #996 on: July 21, 2020, 07:30:11 PM
And while I’m in here, these are a couple of c. ‘78 Hoffritz ‘Explorers’ (HOFFRITZ - S11231 CRAFTSMAN) one with a Neiman Marcus inlay.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline TonySal

Reply #997 on: September 28, 2020, 11:30:28 PM
...Like the Explorer too.. have to carry it more!!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Acuphys1

Reply #998 on: September 29, 2020, 02:09:44 AM
You should TS!!!

I switched the scales on my EDC Explorer  to the Stayglow Boy Scout scales and I'm lovin it more.
Now it's a matched set with my Mate that I put Stayglow scales on a while ago, and paired it with a sweet little imported Italian knife with real Stag scales which a patient gave me for my Birthday.

:woohoo:  Cool beans!  My MODest attempts at modding. :rofl:

:climber:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #999 on: September 29, 2020, 06:20:51 AM
 :like:  What a wonderful trio. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #1000 on: September 29, 2020, 02:19:02 PM
 :iagree: :tu:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline TonySal

Reply #1001 on: September 29, 2020, 11:14:59 PM
You should TS!!!

I switched the scales on my EDC Explorer  to the Stayglow Boy Scout scales and I'm lovin it more.
Now it's a matched set with my Mate that I put Stayglow scales on a while ago, and paired it with a sweet little imported Italian knife with real Stag scales which a patient gave me for my Birthday.

:woohoo:  Cool beans!  My MODest attempts at modding. :rofl:

:climber:(Image removed from quote.)

it counts! Looking good!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Acuphys1

Reply #1002 on: September 29, 2020, 11:24:07 PM
 Thanks y'all!

I never would even thought of swapping scales if not for you guys on this forum.   :salute:

:SAKnight:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 11:40:12 PM by Acuphys1 »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #1003 on: October 01, 2020, 11:49:58 AM
I know it's a bit contradictory to the title of this thread, but...

Man, i'm getting colder and colder about the Explorer....  :-\  The more i look at it the more i find the Philips/Mag layer near useless/redundant for me, and adding a big and unnecessary bulk to what is basically a "Climber".
IMO the value for money/function it's just not worth it. One just can not get any other realistic functions/uses out of that layer other than their intended use, and that's just limiting...
Yeah, the 3D philips it's great, but the can opener already does a good job for the most SD use i'd use it for. The Mag glass, while somewhat useful in a pinch (if you need it) it's not really worth the space it takes up, and i have quite a few largely better mag glasses. I don't need one on a daily basis.

I'll probably sell mine, not really worth keeping just to sit on a drawer. No point.  :-\
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1004 on: October 01, 2020, 04:21:07 PM
Can't fault your thinking.  The inline is very specific as is the mag glass.  I don't mind the can opener but for me the added reach and ability to tackle more recessed screws is valuable.  The mag glass is used a lot and while I do have a much better mag glass I just don't carry it.  Truthfully however I am considering getting a loop for my trips to the flea market.

I do have a Salesman that I thought would boot the Explorer out use.  It almost did.  I also have an Adventurer that is wonderful.  I can admit that familliarity in my situation plays a part in my love for the Explorer Plus.  Theres the pen and pin and little driver too to me considered.  Yes you can get plus scales on 91s but theres a fair bit of familiarity at play for me in addition to plus scales.     

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kraken

Reply #1005 on: October 01, 2020, 05:03:42 PM
Can't fault your thinking.  The inline is very specific as is the mag glass.  I don't mind the can opener but for me the added reach and ability to tackle more recessed screws is valuable.   

:iagree:

The ability of the inline Philips to get to recessed screws is what sold me on the Explorer. I tried the Tinker, an although it could get to recessed screws as well, it was limited by the T-handle configuration as there needed to be enough clearance to turn it. In my experience, when I had to use the back side Philips, there wasn't always enough room to use it. I also like the fact that the Explorer's inline has that 90 degree stop available as well. But this is one of the great things about SAKs, IMO; you choose your toolset  based on your needs/experiences and there's usually something for everyone. And when there's not, you can always head over to the Mod forum for inspiration.
Semper Fortis

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #1006 on: October 02, 2020, 02:09:34 AM
I've said this before. I'm unlikely ever to choose the Explorer for outside pocket carry. Too thick and I don't need the Phillips/magnifier and scissor layers. I do, however, find it an excellent kitchen tool. It handles well, and with it I can open packages; tighten pot and pot lid handles; inspect ingredient lists in fine print; slice frozen ginger; pull corks (v. rarely).

:cheers:
Rambler

us Offline TonySal

Reply #1007 on: October 02, 2020, 02:23:55 AM
I've said this before. I'm unlikely ever to choose the Explorer for outside pocket carry. Too thick and I don't need the Phillips/magnifier and scissor layers. I do, however, find it an excellent kitchen tool. It handles well, and with it I can open packages; tighten pot and pot lid handles; inspect ingredient lists in fine print; slice frozen ginger; pull corks (v. rarely).

:cheers:
   :tu:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Sidney Porter

Reply #1008 on: October 02, 2020, 02:33:24 AM
I like scissors so my edc is a climber or explorer. It depends on the pants I am wearing. Jeans = explorer, khaki=climber, dress= sportsman relying on a classic for the scissor

us Offline TonySal

Reply #1009 on: October 02, 2020, 02:40:18 AM
...yes my Edc is a Climber one an Executive! Love SAK  scizzors
join KNIFE RIGHTS

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #1010 on: October 02, 2020, 05:27:30 AM
Need some identification and strategic assessment from some of the experienced knights here.

I found what I believe is an old Explorer—maybe early 1980s—in rough condition. Got it for a couple bucks to rehabilitate, because I liked the idea of an inline Phillips on a bit thinner form factor. And I just like old stuff, because now I’m old.  :D

Solid red scales (couple of cracks and a shard chipped off at tail scale with the shield.)
Says Rostfrei on tang.
Cork screw is double coiled.
Magnifying glass is embedded in somewhat dark grey plastic.
Awl has no hole.

Question 1: is this an Explorer?
Question 2: Is this 80s vintage?
Question 3: did the main blades of old Explorers look this thin edge to spine, or has this main blade been massively sharpened down?
Question 4: what kind of replacement scales make sense for this old model? Strip some off another 91mm donor knife? Order some plus scales from Swiss Bianco? Migrate to G-10, Micarta, or metal? I’m not sure I want to hang titanium scales on this example.

There are a number of Explorer lovers, so I am hoping they will chime in with what has worked well for them regarding scale replacements.   

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #1011 on: October 02, 2020, 05:49:29 AM
It came in a nice little leather belt pouch. Is this an aftermarket pounce, or did Victorinox sell paunches like this back in the day? This pouch has not brand stamps on it anywhere, so I’m guessing its an aftermarket pouch.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #1012 on: October 02, 2020, 06:03:27 PM
Ooops, I overlooked the “X’s” pressed into the pattern on the leather pouch. It’s apparently a Vic pouch..

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1013 on: October 02, 2020, 06:06:32 PM
YES Vic pouch.  My Zermatt is like this with the addition of a space for a steel. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #1014 on: October 02, 2020, 06:29:36 PM
Aloha

Any idea of age of your knife pouch? Are they still made and sold in this style.

Also, like a bone head I found the mod forum AFTER posting this.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #1015 on: October 02, 2020, 06:43:56 PM
Acuphys1

Is that a nano switch blade on your lanyard?

Very trick even if not.

us Offline Acuphys1

Reply #1016 on: October 02, 2020, 06:48:11 PM
No Sgt,
It's a Maserin mini folder imported from Italy, with stag scales

Like this one
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ME699O/maserin-699o-mignon-classic-miniature-folding-knife-blade-colored-bone-scales-colors-will-vary

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1017 on: October 02, 2020, 06:55:52 PM
Aloha

Any idea of age of your knife pouch? Are they still made and sold in this style.

Also, like a bone head I found the mod forum AFTER posting this.

The knife is a no hook, no eye in reamer, 4 turn grooved corkscrew, no pin or pen space Champion so I'd say mid 80s? 

Yes they are still being sold. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline PiterM

Reply #1018 on: March 07, 2021, 02:08:11 AM
Just a pair of Explorers... my favorite model probably.

us Offline TonySal

Reply #1019 on: March 07, 2021, 03:01:08 AM
Just a pair of Explorers... my favorite model probably.

(Image removed from quote.)
nice!   :tu:   :cheers:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56