Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What would you have done?

us Offline padowser

on: November 14, 2013, 01:09:13 AM
The last time I went on a cruise (pre 9/11) my Leatherman Wave was in my shaving kit. No problem. Well things have changed, I know this. I got on a Royal Caribbean Oasis class ship recently for a 7 night Caribbean cruise. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, the Oasis class are the largest cruise ships out there.

When my luggage didn't show up at my stateroom, I called and found out it was being held below decks because of a prohibited item. My brother-in-law had the same issue, they had called him and said his luggage was being held because of a multitool (cheap knockoff).

I went down to bowels of the ship, to the luggage handling area and identified my bag. It was marked with masking tape "Leatherman". I quickly formulated my plan. I was asked "do you have a Leatherman tool in here?" To this I replied "yes". The bag, a rolling duffle bag was placed on a table and I was asked to open it.

This I did, then I opened my shaving kit and there, in a clear compartment, was a Style PS. I pulled it out and showed the security guy. "See, it is TSA compliant, no knife. You can even take these on airplanes."  I didn't mention the wave residing in another compartment of the shaving kit.

"Oh, OK...just don't take it ashore or they will take it when you come back on board." "OK, thank-you" I said, leaving without having to surrender my Wave.

My brother-in-law had his tool confiscated. He was told he could get it back when we departed the ship on the following Saturday. Unfortunately for him, it was not available for him to pick up when we left the ship via the expedited departure plan first thing in the morning. They said they would send it to him....it will be interesting to see if they do.

Normally, I believe that honesty is the best policy. But sometimes "Always Cheat, Always Win" is more appropriate.  :rofl:

PS, I used the Wave for the following while on board:

1. Opened 3 cans of dip
2. Cut the shrink wrap off of my Wet Ones
3. Cut tags off my wife's new water shoes
4. Cut 3 used luggage tags off
5. Cut off 2 wire ties left locking a garment bag

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: What would you have done?
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 01:21:20 AM
ive never cruised but are there some items you can bring? maybe a Vic classic or a Recruit?  seems like you mostly cut things with the exception of the can opening so a SAK with can opener would've worked.  I would not have brought my MT though I may have brought a small SAK or 2.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:41:43 AM
I would have never mentioned I had the knife or MUT with me.
If I needed a tool that bad on a cruise I would ask one of the deckhands to borrow
one or fix something for me.

It all depends on where your go and who (Cruise Line) you travel with.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:49:45 AM

I think you did fine.  I would file this one under "Asinine Rules Don't Deserve to be Obeyed".

On my most recent Royal Caribbean cruise (2009), security got one of my SAKs during the screening (it was on my person, not in my luggage) and insisted on keeping it for the duration of the trip.  The SAK they got was the one from my pocket that I (foolishly, in hindsight) dumped into the tray with the rest of the contents of my pockets before going through the metal detector.  I didn't dream they would make a fuss about it, but they did.  As promised, they did return it to me when we disembarked, however.  Since they didn't catch the second SAK I was carrying in my backpack, I wasn't left entirely bereft of pocket tools.  Still, pretty stupid, especially when you consider that one could easily lift a steak knife from the dining room if so inclined...

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 05:22:00 AM
Sounds like a floating prison.

I'll stick to road trips.
G

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 05:30:50 AM
I'll tell unlimited lies to prevent my belongings from being stolen.  :whistle:
SAW

us Offline Rehclip

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 05:41:31 AM
Sounds like a floating prison.

I'll stick to road trips.

Yup... I've never really seen the appeal to a cruise.  Just a big relaxing vacation.... but I can do that lots of places, and still have freedom to move around and not be stuck on a boat with a bunch of people.

But I'm a bit off topic here.....

I probably would have done exactly what OP did.  Show one, and let them bring up the other.  But then again, I may not have brought a knife either.  I hate hypotheticals.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 05:50:55 AM
I am not sure what I might have done, but if I have any doubts about them not being honest to help safe-keep my tools, I probably would have done the same thing.

I don't know they had done it, but they should have let the passengers know way ahead of time that anything with a blade will not be allowed.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%