Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

UK-legal Spirit mod idea

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
UK-legal Spirit mod idea
on: February 13, 2013, 06:57:56 PM
I've meant to make a UK-legal Spirit for quite some time but Real Life (and the fact that I quasi-lost my dremel during my last move) has been keeping me back till now. Lately I've been exchanging PMs with some of our gifted modders (Metropolicity, Syph007) with ideas about how to go forth. Ideally I'd like to come up with a bladeless Spirit (i.e., no knife/saw blades), but it turns out that that requires extensive changes: drilling out the pins and widening all implement pivot holes to 3/16'' for starters, then mod the replacement implements, and put the whole thing back together with optimal pin/pivot tension to alleviate side-to-side play. This _will_ happen some time in the future, but bear with me for a little longer.

Turning the Spirit into a slippie also seemed as demanding at first. Then Syph007 pointed out he would go about it by grinding on the lock bar so that it would be slopped just over the non-locking-to-be tools, maybe also grinding the back of said implements as well. I already had an original Spirit in pieces so I took it out to have a look, then this idea came up: why messing around with the pivots and pivot holes etc, when you can go directly for the lockbar? The hole piano locks/lockbar/handles construction is (well, at least it so seems to be) held together with a single pin; that on the back of the piano locks. Grinding on the pin would allow the piano locks and lock bar to be removed from the handle and would make the grinding so much easier. What's better, you cannot err on the pin tension on repinning as it actually needs to be as tight as possible. This should work on the blade side, but a slippie saw sounds like trouble to me. I'm thinking of grinding on the teeth and turning the saw into a ruler or similar, but that's still on the drawing board.

I plan to look into this more come March, when I expect (hope?) that my work schedule will get a bit easier on me. However, I'm putting this idea out there should others care to try before me (and give some feedback :P). :pok: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%