Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Custom Bike Multitool

us Offline Buzzbait

Custom Bike Multitool
on: January 18, 2013, 08:35:45 PM
I decided to take my cycling kit to a new level this year. I did a thorough examination of my bike, noting exactly which size wrenches and drivers were required to maintain it. Then I changed out some of the bolts and stuff, to ones with more common hex sizes, in order to reduce the overall number of required tools. Next I assembled a kit of full-sized tools for roadside repairs, to keep in my seat bag, going on the theory that the reduced number of tools would allow me to carry more full-sized tools with the same amount of total weight. This worked out very well.

Small philips screwdriver for reflectors and derailer adjustments, Power Grip straps.
5mm hex for seat tube collar, seat adjustments, derailer mounts, derailer/cable tension, brake hoods, disk brakes, chain ring.
4mm hex for stem, barcons, bottle cages, fender and rack dropouts.
3mm hex for pedals, frame cable bosses.
T25 Torx for disk brake pads.
14mm wrench for kick stand.
8mm wrench for Power Grips
15mm wrench for pedals.

Then I decided to make my own bike-specific multitool, to make quick repairs easier and faster. So here it is. The body is from a Crank Brothers M5 multitool. It already had the 3, 4 and 5mm hex wrenches that I needed, but had a 6mm that I didn't need, and no torx T25 for my disk brakes. I robbed an old Park Tool I-Beam multitool for the T25, removed the 6mm from the M5, and added the T25. Now I have all of the drivers common to my bike, in one handy little tool. Nothing but what I actually need. No wasted room. No extra weight.

Note to modders - The Crank Brothers and Park Tool I-Beam tools use the exact same drivers. They must come out of the same factory. Same bend. Same hardness. Same finish. Same everything. Identical. 

When I get a chance, I'll post up a pic of the seat bag contents, holding the larger sized tools.
--
'Buzz

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Custom Bike Multitool
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:40:02 PM
Nice tool, simple and no wasted space. Good job!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Custom Bike Multitool
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 09:49:13 PM
Sorted :tu:

I think it's a great idea to make it specific, so you have no extra weight on board. I ended up throwing a Topeak Toolbar in my bike bag, and loading with the right bits and leaving the rest at home. Same principal, just less clever modding! :D

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:37:29 AM
My bike toolkit consists of the following:

LM Crunch
Vic CT34
Crescent 4" adjustable wrench
chain tool
spoke wrench
self-adhesive patch kit
spare tube
pack of tire levers
2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 mm hex wrenches
bandana (used for wiping hands and as a tool wrap)
velcro pump strap (for bundling up the tools)
1 Qt. ziplock freezer bag (for keeping it all water-tight)
seat-bag (actually carried in my bottom bracket bottle cage to lower my center of gravity)
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:36:00 PM
Nice idea Buzzbait. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Custom Bike Multitool
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:14:24 AM
Nice idea Buzz :tu: I've been thinking of doing this for my bike kit. So many cycling MTs but I don't need everything on one MT and some tools on another MT. So, why not just mod my own :think: So glad you posted this :tu: I've been carrying a LM Charge Ti with the full bit kit in my tube bag. This will reduce the weight drastically :tu:

Sent from Endor using Schlapatok
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:51:14 PM
I temporarily carried a Wave with bit kit last year, but it definitely did not work out very well. It was big and heavy and rather clumsy to setup and use. Too many small pieces to get lost on the side of the road.

One tool that did work out very well for me was the Park Tool AWS-10. It has a very good assortment of hex wrenches, and they are about the toughest I've ever used. These are Bondhus hex wrenches in a Park Tool branded case. Black oxide coated wrenches, so they're relatively rust free, and the plastic case doesn't scratch up anything else in your kit. The wrenches also have a sort of a half stop, so they stick straight out at a 90 degree angle instead of just folding backward. This allows you to get better than average torque on the wrench. If all you need is hex wrenches, it doesn't get any better. Park tool makes a few versions of these plastic wrench sets, but unfortunately none with a Torx T25 wrench for my disk brakes, which I think is a deal breaker for me.

--
'Buzz

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 11:35:07 PM
mentioned it before but the topeak mini 18 has everything i will need without carrying excess tools. nice youve made whats right for you though
I

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 12:53:58 AM
very nice mate  :tu: i did the same thing a while back but mainly carry my ti and cooltool  8)  plus zip ties 2 tubes 1 spoke and puncture kit  :tu:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 06:34:39 AM

LM Crunch
Vic CT34
chain tool
spoke wrench
self-adhesive patch kit
spare tube
pack of tire levers
seat-bag (actually carried in my bottom bracket bottle cage to lower my center of gravity)

I'm just dying to know how much that lot weighs - pop it on the scales and let us know.
I'm guessing near a kilo??
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 05:07:24 AM
I got a Leatherman MAKO Ti bike tool in the mail today. It's interesting, but I can't ever see this as being a replacement for even a small bicycle multi tool.

--
sent via carrier pigeon from my secret hideout
--
'Buzz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 09:36:08 PM

LM Crunch
Vic CT34
chain tool
spoke wrench
self-adhesive patch kit
spare tube
pack of tire levers

I'm just dying to know how much that lot weighs - pop it on the scales and let us know.
I'm guessing near a kilo??
No idea.  I'll have to check.

I think it's worth it though... I know my karma... if I don't have even one of those things, I know I'll end up needing it.

The last time I didn't have a spare tube on me, the valve stem in my rear tube tore out.  The last time I didn't have a chain tool, I busted the master link in my SRAM 9-spd chain.  The last time I didn't have a spoke wrench, I hit a pot-hole and wanged my front wheel.

:facepalm:

I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 04:16:33 AM
That's my theory as well HD :tu:

Terry

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 02:24:49 AM
I think the good people at Pedro's took the MT idea a little too far with the Tulioin QR Skewer.  In order to use it a cyclist would have to remove the wheel from the bike then remove the skewer from the hub. 

http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderProductDetail?gfid=71513?cm_mmc=Google-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Gear-_-tulio
Tick Magnet

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 04:06:08 AM
Seems a little extreme doesn't it? :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 04:29:26 AM
I think the good people at Pedro's took the MT idea a little too far with the Tulioin QR Skewer.  In order to use it a cyclist would have to remove the wheel from the bike then remove the skewer from the hub. 

(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderProductDetail?gfid=71513?cm_mmc=Google-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Gear-_-tulio

According to the article all you have to do is remove the quick release handle to use the tool.

Terry

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 07:26:20 PM
I finally got around to taking a pic of the tool kit I keep in my seat bag. I pack a few extra things that other may not, just because I tend to travel such long distances. I'm not a CO2 guy. I use a Topeak Road Morph-G tire pump. There are always some spare inner tube rubber bands on my handle bars as well.

• Park Tool tiny adjustable wrench
  • My customized multitool
  • Park Tool Patch kit
  • Shower cap to go over my Brooks saddle when it rains
  • Park Tool spoke wrench
  • Park Tool CT-5 chain tool
  • Craftsman philips screwdriver
  • spare tube
  • shop rag

--
'Buzz

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33:40 AM
I use a clear shower cap on my helmet that I got from a hotel when I did the San Antonio to Arlington, Tx ride. Good idea though to put it on the seat

Terry

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 12:38:38 AM
Hmmmmmmm...... Looks like I forgot to list the Pedro's tire levers.
--
'Buzz

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 12:45:01 AM
I'm getting very close to completing my on bike tool kit.  The Crunch showed up a couple of weeks ago.  Today I went to get a set of hex wrenches, but when I saw the Topeak Toolbar the gadget lover in me took over and I bought that instead.  All that is left is to pick up a 4" adjustable wrench and a bandanna (I'll probably go with a microfiber cloth because I have access to very high quality MF cloths at a very good price), and a small magnifying glass.
Tick Magnet

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 02:58:16 AM
I use a clear shower cap on my helmet that I got from a hotel when I did the San Antonio to Arlington, Tx ride. Good idea though to put it on the seat
I just use a plastic grocery bag.  Free and widely available. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%