Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A bit of advice

Offline Abstraction

A bit of advice
on: March 31, 2008, 12:59:07 PM
First off hi to anyone who reads this, i've probably been reading your posts for the last hour or so  ;)

I came to the decision yesterday that i need a good heavy duty multi-tool, im fed up of using my blunt as hell, rusty, weak and cheap excuse for a multi-tool i bought when i was a student  ??? I do a lot of camping, hiking and occassional Diy so i need a multi purpose tool really.  My first plan was to get a leatherman, but then i saw how expensive they are in the UK, while im not looking for anything cheap i don't want to be paying over £100.  My next thought was the Gerber Legend, it looks amazing from the product description but I can't find many positive reviews for that, and a number which say while the wire cutter can be rotated they chip easily and the knives arnt the strongest in the world. 

Then i found this site, and reading through forum and in particular the topic a little below this titled 'multi-tool for a noob' the swisstool spirit sounds perfect, top quality, do everything knife within my price range (http://www.shop4multitools.co.uk/acatalog/Victorinox_SwissTool_Spirit_Multitool_Swiss_Army_Knife.php).  The only problem is the knife, i can make do without scissors if i have a good knife, but i don't think the flat headed serated knife would be much good for me and hard as i look i can't find a UK supplier of the 'Spirit S.' So my question is, do i go for the Legend and is it as good as the blurb sounds or is the marketting just very good, or is there somewhere i can import the swiss s from, and of course, does anyone know if i can get the Legend cheaper than that site :D Or alternatively if the answer is no to either of those questions, is the knife better than it looks, i like a nice fine point to any knife for better control and that looks like it won't be much good for anything but sawing, which seems silly when there is a perfectly good saw a cm away!

Thanks for any replies!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: A bit of advice
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:06:56 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum.  :)  It's great to see another UK member on here.

The Spirit is a very nice tool and would serve you very well. However, if the blade is an issue why not go for a full sized Swisstool X that combines both a plain edged blade with scissors and is larger and relatively more heavy duty than the Spirit.

The banner members on here will be able to get you a Swisstool or a Spirit and will be far far cheaper than anyone who sells in the UK.  I live in the UK myself and have often used Marc at edcdepot.com and Tim at felinevet.sosakonline.com and both are great guys to deal with and offer both great prices and great service.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:11:25 PM
Welcome to the forums- I always advocate dealing with our banner advertisers as they ship overseas and have some of the best prices around.  Oh yeah, and they keep this place running!

If you are looking at heavy duty tools then the Spirit might not be the best choice.  It is a good, solid tool, but the SwissTool models are much heavier duty than the Spirit.  There are three models of SwissTool to choose from, the standard, X and RS.  You can see more info here on the Multitool Encyclopedia:

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=SwissTool

The Legend is a good tool as well, but it is a tad bulkier and may be awkward to hold and use if you don't have larger hands.  You can see a full review of it, and other models on the main site here at Multiool.org:

http://www.multitool.org/gerber/4.5-inches-and-up/gerber-legend-800.html

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Abstraction

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 01:17:15 PM
Wow, that was quick!  Hey mate, cheers for the advice, so if i was to order the black spirit S from there i'm unlikely to have any any problems with customs etc?  That's my main concern, getting slapped with a huge bill from customs and excise, or worse still having it siezed as a weapon! Also youre not half right about the price, that works out less than half the price once it's converted into pounds!  

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 01:21:29 PM
There's always potential issues with customs, but I think the worst you'd have to face is the VAT, in which case it would probably still be cheaper than ordering it in the UK.  The weapon bit isn't likely (but is possible I suppose) but these types of things are technically legal provided you "have good reason" aren't they?  I know most of the UK members here have larger, locking multitools, and few, if any have had them seized.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:22:58 PM
Wow, that was quick!  Hey mate, cheers for the advice, so if i was to order the black spirit S from there i'm unlikely to have any any problems with customs etc?  That's my main concern, getting slapped with a huge bill from customs and excise, or worse still having it siezed as a weapon! Also youre not half right about the price, that works out less than half the price once it's converted into pounds!  

I have never had any problems ordering from these guys in the past.  All have come through customs with no problems at all and generally orders arrive in just over a week.

Generally, the banner members are around half the price of UK prices and that includes shipping as well. Also, using them helps keep this forum running so again that is an added bonus.  ;)

Like Def has just said, although the Spirit is a very tough tool I would regard it's bigger brother the Swisstool to be more heavy duty and this comes in a few different combinations that may suit you a little better.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 01:25:04 PM
There's always potential issues with customs, but I think the worst you'd have to face is the VAT, in which case it would probably still be cheaper than ordering it in the UK.  The weapon bit isn't likely (but is possible I suppose) but these types of things are technically legal provided you "have good reason" aren't they?  I know most of the UK members here have larger, locking multitools, and few, if any have had them seized.

Def

VAT and other customs charges should not be an issue on items of this value. I have bought far more expensive items than a Spirit or a Swisstool and I have never been asked to pay anything.
I'm back!!

Offline Abstraction

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:28:41 PM
This really is an active forum isn't it!  Hi, thanks for the reply.  Yeah i've just been looking at the more heavy duty ones and i'm turning my head towards them now, i was swayed by the fact the spirit was shinier and got so much praise i think, but the larger ones would probably be more practicle, though having said that i've not managed to break my cheap as chips multi-tool yet despite its shortcomings.  As for the legends size it shouldnt be a problem, i don't have massive hands but i've never had an issue with holding tools before.  The Spirit S is still probably my first choice pick at the moment though, as the price from FDelineVet is brillient, neither of the two banner links seem to sell the X or the Legend unfortunately.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 01:30:50 PM
This really is an active forum isn't it!  Hi, thanks for the reply.  Yeah i've just been looking at the more heavy duty ones and i'm turning my head towards them now, i was swayed by the fact the spirit was shinier and got so much praise i think, but the larger ones would probably be more practicle, though having said that i've not managed to break my cheap as chips multi-tool yet despite its shortcomings.  As for the legends size it shouldnt be a problem, i don't have massive hands but i've never had an issue with holding tools before.  The Spirit S is still probably my first choice pick at the moment though, as the price from FDelineVet is brillient, neither of the two banner links seem to sell the X or the Legend unfortunately.

Tim (felinevet) and Marc will be able to help you if you shoot them an email.  ;)

Oh, and the Swisstool is very shiney as well.  8) :D
I'm back!!

Offline Abstraction

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:31:42 PM
re. customs.  No it shouldnt be a problem but i know people who have had trouble with ornimental items before and there doesn't seem to be much common sense applied, for these prices i think i will just order and hope though, as for the heavy duty version's i would go for one of them, but that UK site is looking a complete rip off by comparisson and as i say i can't spot them for sale on the banner links, unless there is any other site i've missed.

Edit.  I'll give them an email then and see what they say, i'm pretty much sold on a Spirit for just over £30 though :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:33:20 PM by Abstraction »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 01:34:16 PM
Tim especially, has a few items that are not on his site, and both can get hold of other tools very quickly.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 01:35:28 PM
I'm not certain about Marc's stock, but I can almost guarantee that Tim has them handy.  As always with our banner advertisers, if you don't see something in the shop, shoot them an email and ask if they have it.  More often than not they will, especially Tim.  Felinevet is a charity organization, and much of Tim's day is devoted to running the charity and he often doesn't have time to update stock in his store, but it is usually there.

Contact info for each is:

Marc@edcdepot.com

fveap@sosakonline.com

Be aware though that Tim is in California, and so may not respond right away as he's roughly 8 hours behind the UK!

Def

Offline Abstraction

Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 01:47:51 PM
Cheers, i've already sent Tim an email through the contact us part of the site, i think i'll wait till he replys to send an email to marc.  At the moment shipping to the UK isn't listed as an option on FelineVet shop so i've asked him about that first and will enquire about the X after that. I think i'll go for the spirit though, the price is great and i can't imagne it will be too weak for my uses, if it is at those sorts of prices i'll buy another one and keep that one for lesser jobs  :P

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 01:50:24 PM
Shipping is never that much, usually around the £5-£6 mark.

It looks like bug might have got to this one quite early Def.  :D
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 01:59:35 PM
Indeed it has!  Poor guy has no idea what he's in for, does he? :D

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 02:00:37 PM
Indeed it has!  Poor guy has no idea what he's in for, does he? :D

Def

I could warn him, but no one warned me.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 02:01:11 PM
whoo hooo another Spirit man in the house! :P
Welcome to the Forum Abstraction!

the banner members are really good here, they have really good deals and are really nice people :salute:
Their so good I'm just waiting for one of them to tell me to sign on the dotted line and they take my soul! >:D
just kidding, please let us know what you think of your new tools when you get em :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 02:05:30 PM
For the price you were going to pay for the Spirit, why not get a Spirit and a SwissTool? :D  Then you'd have the best of both worlds, and be able to decide which one you prefer!

Also, don't forget to sign up for the UK Meetup this summer where you'll get a chance to play with all kinds of different tools!

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 02:08:47 PM
yeah both!

* 100_8983.JPG (Filesize: 42.16 KB)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 02:11:50 PM
I'm still toying with getting both.  :-\  Good job I am skint as I would probably have one already.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 02:13:44 PM
we know, we're really talking to you through Abstraction! :pok:

Offline Abstraction

Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 02:23:39 PM
It's not like i'm going to end up buying hundreds of muti-tools, i mean, i'll just see how this one is and maybe get another one if i need to, maybe two, just in case  ;)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 02:24:29 PM
It's not like i'm going to end up buying hundreds of muti-tools...

That's what they all say.   :D
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 02:28:19 PM
It's not like i'm going to end up buying hundreds of muti-tools, i mean, i'll just see how this one is and maybe get another one if i need to, maybe two, just in case  ;)

How will you know which one you like best if you don't try them all? :P

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 02:29:50 PM
So where in the UK are you mate?
I'm back!!

Offline Abstraction

Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 02:52:55 PM
I'm from Essex, but i work in London (national rail+ square mile tubes, gotta love that commute  >:().  And yes, buying both did cross my mind, but i figured i would buy one for now and then think about a second later  :D anyway, i'd better be leaving the computer now.  I work nights and have just come off a 7 day shift, now i have a few days off and as ritual would have it my first stop is a pub ;) So if you get any garbled replys in about 8 hours ignore them, either i got home and could still figure out how to turn the blasted computer on or a drunk hacker has hijacked my account and written all kinds of nonsense, depending on what i say  :cheers:

Oh, and hi to anyone i ignored on my way out!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 05:19:55 PM
Seems like a good excuse to post some Swisstool and Spirit pics  :D

Spirit

Swisstool RS

Welcome to the forum btw

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 05:21:44 PM
Seems like a good excuse to post some Swisstool and Spirit pics  :D

Like you need an excuse.  :D
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 06:03:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing! :D

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 06:28:19 PM
If Dunc's pics can't convince you to get both,I don't know what will. Welcome to the forums.
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD