Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescue type tools

Benner · 103 · 8177

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Rescue type tools
on: March 31, 2008, 03:11:24 PM
I have never really been interested in rescue type tools before, but due to my ever increasing number of children, the thought of ever having an accident and not being able to cut or get them out scares the life out of me.  :o

So does anyone here EDC or has a rescue type tool in there car at all times?  Any good suggestions of one to keep in my glove box?
I'm back!!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Re: Rescue type tools
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:17:17 PM
I EDC a Victorinox Rescue every night at work.I drive a truck for a living so having to extricate myself is a possibility.I also keep a Buck Tiburon handy in my tool bag or glove box of my car for the same reason.Holler at Feline vet over at SOSAK or through Defender he can help you with the Vic.The Tiburon was discontinued a long time ago.I have found that even though it was designed for an aquatic enviroment,it works quite well as a hard use utility blade.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:17:28 PM
I keep a LM Supertool in one car and an SOG in another car. I also always have a sharp knife of some sort on me. I feel pretty safe that whatever situation I come across I'll be able to get them out of the car if I need too. I'm sure an awl on a big locking tool would be a decent glass breaker. Like I said, I always keep all of my knives sharp so I'm not too concerned about cutting them out of a seatbelt.

That said, I'm also thinking about getting a dedicated rescue tool for the cars. More options are always good.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:01:04 PM
Swisstool RS  :pok: I EDC one of those and sometimes a Boker Rescom . When at sea its a Spyderco Atlantic Salt .I dont worry too my about glass breakers for windows because a very sharp tap with a Swisstool in the corner will soon sort that out ( unless its Laminated ) .Not sure about the glass saw on the Vic rescue knife ( will only work on laminated glass ) because your going to create some very sharp edges and its not going to be quick either .

Dunc

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:01:22 PM
The Vic Rescue is probably the best of the bunch, and being a car tool, you shouldn't fall foul of the law with one, failing that how about a Rescom, after you subcom, you should be very familiar with it, which is what you want in the event of an accident.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 05:05:48 PM
I EDC a Victorinox Rescue every night at work.I drive a truck for a living so having to extricate myself is a possibility.I also keep a Buck Tiburon handy in my tool bag or glove box of my car for the same reason.Holler at Feline vet over at SOSAK or through Defender he can help you with the Vic.The Tiburon was discontinued a long time ago.I have found that even though it was designed for an aquatic enviroment,it works quite well as a hard use utility blade.

Dtrain

The Vic Rescue is probably the best of the bunch, and being a car tool, you shouldn't fall foul of the law with one, failing that how about a Rescom, after you subcom, you should be very familiar with it, which is what you want in the event of an accident.

I agree, this would be a good tool to have but it is still a locking blade and is therefore illegal for me to carry everyday, despite it being for rescue purposes.

The blade type on the Rescom, although strictly is a lockblade, is far less intimidating and is more likely to be overlooked by your average bobby.  I think that hook style blade is probably the best way for me to go.
I'm back!!

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 05:10:43 PM
Well between Def and Dunc, they'll probably had all the rescue tool on the market, so you might want to listen to there advice more than mine :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 05:11:44 PM
Well between Def and Dunc, they'll probably had all the rescue tool on the market, so you might want to listen to there advice more than mine :D

Weren't they going to do a rescue tool shoot out?  :pok: :pok: :D
I'm back!!

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 05:38:14 PM
I have one of those Life Hammers with a screw down bracket, that my Pa gave me when I was driving OTR.  It's now in my pickup. 

Just make sure any rescue type tool you carry or store in your vehicle is secured.  In the event of a serious accident, anything in a glovebox, console, under or on the seats, is likely to go flying about the vehicle and may not be in reach when you come to rest. 

I'd hope that I'd still be able to reach a multitool or knife in my pocket or off my keychain if I needed them and I were a victim in an accident, but I usually think of the things I have for helping someone else other than myself... knock on wood... :ahhh

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 05:38:55 PM

Weren't they going to do a rescue tool shoot out?  :pok: :pok: :D

One day  ;) Also have a look at a Spyderco Assist , what a beast

Its the middle one

Now listen  :pok: A slip joint makes a very poor rescue knife . In a situation your heart will be going like stink and adrenalin will be surging round your body ( at this piont you will decide whether to fight or flight ) and the chances of a slip joint folding on your fingers is very high . A blunt tip blade is a must , one hand opening is advisable BUT I can deploy the belt cutter on my RS VERY quick because its so familiar to me although gloves are a problem .Also keep it very sharp and resist the urge to use it for everyday things , that way its sharp when you need it . The Rescom is good but small . I think I would recommend something by Spyderco with a blunt tip and a bright coloured handle .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 05:44:26 PM
Ben I'll bring what I can to the meetup but I know longer have the Assist .
  My Atlantic Salt is very good if a little ugly  ;) The serrations are very aggressive and can snag, but seatbelt , webbing straps etc are no problem and it can hack through plastic and thick material.
  What I will do is bring a load of rope to the meetup and you can have a play .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 05:48:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  That lifehammer looks pretty handy.

I really like the look of the Spyderco assist, but I very much doubt a copper would like the look of it. :-\  I know the chances of being stopped and searched are very slim, but I drive past 2 police stations on my way to work and I see at least 1 police car every day.  At least you have a reasonable reason for carrying it, I doubt my occupation would count.
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 05:55:43 PM

I really like the look of the Spyderco assist, but I very much doubt a copper would like the look of it. :-\  I know the chances of being stopped and searched are very slim, but I drive past 2 police stations on my way to work and I see at least 1 police car every day.  At least you have a reasonable reason for carrying it, I doubt my occupation would count.

Didnt think of that , sorry  :-[ Have you thought about getting a Swisstool RS ? Just depends on how much you use the file .
  I have one of those lifehammers somewhere  :think: Would you like it ? I'd have to find it first though .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 05:58:31 PM

Didnt think of that , sorry  :-[ Have you thought about getting a Swisstool RS ? Just depends on how much you use the file .
  I have one of those lifehammers somewhere  :think: Would you like it ? I'd have to find it first though .

Dunc

I have thought about getting an RS, but I love my files and my current Swisstool has everything I want and has some sentiment attached as it was given to me by someone on here.  ;)

I actually quite like the look of this http://www.multitool.org/other-tools/folding-knives/benchmade-ert-1.html
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 06:05:40 PM
Get one so I can have a look at the meet  :D

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 06:13:16 PM
Get one so I can have a look at the meet  :D

Dunc

:D  Cheers pal!  You're meant to be recommending me a good one, not just one you don't have so you can take a look.  ::) :D

Ideally, I'd like something like a spyderco Jr rescue or similar, but you know what the laws are like here.  ::)  Plus, I do like the idea of having a glass breaker.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 06:14:56 PM
I need to get one of those life hammer things...

I also need to get the shootout done, but I want to do it properly so I'm not rushing it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 06:19:32 PM
A glass breaker only works on toughened glass i.e the stuff that bursts into millions of little bits . Its no good on windscreens . I have been told that some side windows are now laminated ( like windscreens ) although cant confirm this .I dont claim to know anything about vehicle rescue but I do work in a glass factory  ;).

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 06:23:31 PM
A glass breaker only works on toughened glass i.e the stuff that bursts into millions of little bits . Its no good on windscreens . I have been told that some side windows are now laminated ( like windscreens ) although cant confirm this .I dont claim to know anything about vehicle rescue but I do work in a glass factory  ;).

Dunc

My car is pretty old so I doubt my side windows are laminated.  :D

Just found these for those who may be interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-2tA_YTp_w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuHKP87f8l0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q50n4etp7ak
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 06:28:40 PM
Modern side windows are laminated so they don't explode all over the victim the way they used to.  Breaking the glass still works though as the shattering makes it into a flexible sheet that you can then pull out.  Of course, don't try that without gloves!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 06:30:18 PM
That certainly looks impressive .Especially since he done it in the centre of the window . If you only have an impact tool on you ( lifehammer , multitool  ) hit it right in the corner otherwise the glass will flex and absord the impact .

Dunc

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 07:03:09 PM
I carry a life hammer in the car and seem to remember that the police supplies web site has a key ring sized spring loaded window breaker and seatbelt cutter but I can't get onto it to confirm

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 07:05:11 PM
I carry a life hammer in the car and seem to remember that the police supplies web site has a key ring sized spring loaded window breaker and seatbelt cutter but I can't get onto it to confirm

One like this? http://www.multitool.org/miscellaneous-tools/keyring-tools/resqme.html
I'm back!!

Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 07:48:06 PM
Maybe a ResQme or the benchmade are the way to go, I can't see why a copper would have a problem with you having either in your car (in the high street yes, as you'll look like a high tech car jacker :D)

Group by on ResQMe's ???

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 07:51:17 PM
Maybe a ResQme or the benchmade are the way to go, I can't see why a copper would have a problem with you having either in your car (in the high street yes, as you'll look like a high tech car jacker :D)

Group by on ResQMe's ???

I'm thinking about maybe getting a couple of ResQMe's (so the wife can have one) and the benchmade as well.
I'm back!!

Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 07:53:15 PM
How much would a ResQme tool work out at ???

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 07:54:26 PM
Marc does them for $8.95 + P&P
I'm back!!

Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 07:56:39 PM
Thats pretty cheap for something that'll save your life :)

Shame I don't drive, otherwise I'd be tempted :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 07:57:37 PM

You could use it to help someone else though.  :)
I'm back!!

Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 08:00:55 PM

You could use it to help someone else though.  :)
Nah bugger that :D

Seriously though, I'd use what ever was in my pocket's before loading myself down with yet another tool :)

Might get one for my ex though :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24