Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Some suggestions please

Offline johnny_blaze

Some suggestions please
on: July 31, 2008, 03:13:56 AM
So I want to buy my dad a good solid multi tool for his birthday next week, and have about 70 bucks to spend.  I was looking into the Surge and almost bought it as I like the interchangeable bit pack you can pair it with.  However, pretty consistent reviews of the "rattling" and saw shake made me take a step back.  He needs something full sized and TOUGH for construction.  He mentioned he liked the Supertool 200 so I went out looking to buy him that, only to find that it is a discontinued model. 

So I lay it upon you guys to help me out, and find the best gift for my dad.  To sum up what I'm looking for...

>Full size.  I prefer to get him the extra large as they all seem more heavy duty.
TOUGH
<$70

Hopefully I can get some quick suggestions as I need this by the 12th, so thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:38:01 AM by johnny_blaze »

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Some suggestions please
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 03:29:39 AM
Johnny I have a Surge & do not have a problem with a rattle , but it is a big/heavy tool & if you have small or average hands might not be the best choice. I like a tool with at least 1 or 2 blades , a file (Leatherman diamond file is a must)& scissors . Make a list of what you think your Dad would like & have a look at thishttp://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/default.asp                                                                        Having only a week would  probably rule out  a Internet purchase . But if you are in the US I would think you might be able to get a Wave for a bit under $70 ( ebay definitely under $70) .Good luck mate.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline johnny_blaze

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:36:30 AM
Johnny I have a Surge & do not have a problem with a rattle , but it is a big/heavy tool & if you have small or average hands might not be the best choice. I like a tool with at least 1 or 2 blades , a file (Leatherman diamond file is a must)& scissors . Make a list of what you think your Dad would like & have a look at thishttp://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/default.asp                                                                        Having only a week would  probably rule out  a Internet purchase . But if you are in the US I would think you might be able to get a Wave for a bit under $70 ( ebay definitely under $70) .Good luck mate.

The Wave is too small, and from what I read, not much of a heavy duty construction multi.  So far I've looked at the Gerber Legend, Surge, Core, and Swisstool but I really came here for some other outside suggestions that fit what I want.  Also, I can buy online since my Amazon Ultimate gives me free 2 day shipping.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:41:32 AM
Welcome to the forum Johnny_blaze  :) It is so nice of you buying your dad a multitool as a gift, I think it one of the best gift a man could ever have. I have a SURGE and I EDC it all the time, yes mine rattle a bit but it does not bother me and it doesn't seem to effect the function of the tool. The pliers are very comfortable to use but the other tools that are used when closed pinch a wee bit when used hard. All in all I'm very satisfied with the SURGE. If its not for your dad try looking at the Leatherman core or the swisstool, I own a swisstool it a very good tool but it doen't have one hand opening blade that way I don't edc it much.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 03:49:46 AM
I think you have identified the best candidates if you are looking for a larger, more heavy duty multitool. Maybe someone will come up with another idea, but those are the obvious and popular choices.

I'd just try to get him something really tough and reliable if he is going to be beating on it. That means sticking with a quality brand and no-nonsense design rather than anything out of the mainstream.
[

Offline johnny_blaze

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:52:43 AM
Welcome to the forum Johnny_blaze  :) It is so nice of you buying your dad a multitool as a gift, I think it one of the best gift a man could ever have. I have a SURGE and I EDC it all the time, yes mine rattle a bit but it does not bother me and it doesn't seem to effect the function of the tool. The pliers are very comfortable to use but the other tools that are used when closed pinch a wee bit when used hard. All in all I'm very satisfied with the SURGE. If its not for your dad try looking at the Leatherman core or the swisstool, I own a swisstool it a very good tool but it doen't have one hand opening blade that way I don't edc it much.

I just really don't like the idea of the blade sway for him.  More than anything, I want the most solid build quality out there.  

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 04:05:47 AM
Then you should likely stick with the Core or SwissTool.

The SwissTool has a large devoted following here. It is built like a tank and super tough. Some people have reported some slight play in the tools, but nothing like what you are referring to. There is a video demonstrating it here.

The Core seems to be a real tough no-nonsense straight forward tool. The only bad things I recall reading here are that some people find it a little too out-dated and rough around the edges. But it does have some people who swear by it too. There was a long thread about it very recently here.

As well, I *think* the Core is very similar to the SuperTool (I don't have either - just what I recall hearing).
[

Offline johnny_blaze

Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 04:23:10 AM
Well, I guess I'll hit up Lowes or ACE and see if they will let me handle these models to see if one strikes a cord with me.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 04:28:43 AM
Mate the Core would be a good one if ya Da does not need scissors or the Surge . If you are worried about the Surge's reputation  go for a swisstool they are really solid/well made if you can pick up one for your price range . Just make sure it is a Swisstool & not a Spirit(a lot smaller multitool) , a lot of sellers list the spirit as Swisstool.The only thing I do not like about Swisstools is getting the tools out can bend your fingernails, but the do have a lifetime warranty (Leatherman has 25yrs  :( ) & they would be one of the best for build quality. Good luck mate.

Offline johnny_blaze

Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 04:35:14 AM
Mate the Core would be a good one if ya Da does not need scissors or the Surge . If you are worried about the Surge's reputation  go for a swisstool they are really solid/well made if you can pick up one for your price range . Just make sure it is a Swisstool & not a Spirit(a lot smaller multitool) , a lot of sellers list the spirit as Swisstool.The only thing I do not like about Swisstools is getting the tools out can bend your fingernails, but the do have a lifetime warranty (Leatherman has 25yrs  :( ) & they would be one of the best for build quality. Good luck mate.

The Swisstool I'm looking at is the Swisstool RS for 58. 

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 04:43:47 AM
I think the X model is better IMHO , does your Da need a curved rescue blade ? The X model gets scissors I am pretty sure the RS does not have scissors . Thats a good price  & if you are happy with the tool selection go for it.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 04:47:06 AM
 :oops: the RS does have scissors it looses the file to make way for the rescue blade. Dunc's piece on model differences is very goodhttp://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1575.0.html

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 05:08:57 AM
For construction work? Look no further than the Core. It has the BEST screwdrivers too.. So, I'd go for the Core!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 05:12:49 AM
For construction work? Look no further than the Core. It has the BEST screwdrivers too.. So, I'd go for the Core!

I'll 2nd that motion if he said Supertool 200 this is the next of kin to it :)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 02:18:31 PM
Plus one for the Swisstool mate, and welcome to the forum :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 06:48:51 PM
Get him a SOG.
(

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 06:56:47 PM
-SURGE !!!
-CORE
-POWERLOCK
-Bit kit & Optional spare blades&tools.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 08:19:55 PM
SOG Powerlock
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 09:17:25 PM
I've never used either extensively, but if I were in your shoes I would certainly pick up a Core, or maybe a Sog Powerlock. :)

Not to be contrary, but if I was looking for something that would work as close to dedicated construction tools as possible, the Swisstools wouldn't be my first choice. That said, from all I've heard they really are quite nice, so don't let me stop you if that's what you want to do. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:21:35 PM by NeitherExtreme »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 04:25:44 AM
I've never used either extensively, but if I were in your shoes I would certainly pick up a Core, or maybe a Sog Powerlock. :)

Not to be contrary, but if I was looking for something that would work as close to dedicated construction tools as possible, the Swisstools wouldn't be my first choice. That said, from all I've heard they really are quite nice, so don't let me stop you if that's what you want to do. :)

It's true the Swisstools seem very nice any of the above mentioned MTs would be a fine gift for anyone :D

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 06:42:15 AM
Welcome to the forums also,and being a Dad of three sons,I appreciate what you are doing,if he uses the the knife and scissors more,go with the Surge,if he uses the screwdrivers more,go with the Core or Swiss Tool.

No matter what you get him,he will like it!!!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 11:55:23 AM
I have bought my Dad a sog think it was a powerlock but it sees daily use for large diy projects he finds it invaluable the main attraction being the compound leverage as he has arthritic hands .If thats not a consideration I would go for a standard ST with the bitkit mine was extremely useful I ahve no expeience of the core but I have found the Leatherman drivers excellent but don't know how robust they would be the ST is nearly bomb proof it can even be thrown in the dishwasher with Vics approval

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 12:31:16 PM
Welcome to the forum!

all the suggestions are excellent and would work, all very good.
my vote for your needs:

-Sog Power lock (for the compound/leverage-pliers and easy to interchange tools)
-Swisstool (any model for the best finish that would handle corrosion and abuse)
-Surge or Core (for the diamond files and very good drivers)

all tough, all big, all popular. if you can, hold them all personally and maybe that
will help you decide. good luck :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD