Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your worse MT you ever had and why?

Offline jdailey4206966

• America- Love it or leave it, but don't bleed it!!
What is your worse MT you ever had and why?
on: August 02, 2008, 01:17:56 AM
What is the worse multitool you ever had? Why do you think it was? Mine was the gerber compact 400 because everything broke and CS said they wouldnt fix it. >:(
J

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: What is your worse MT you ever had and why?
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 01:25:01 AM
on top of my S**tlist is this one GErber suspension toy-tool that cracked in parts in my hands.
after that ive been little bit scared to own any more of gerbers.
but the one i had might have been some factory screw-up one-timer,i donno.
i used to have one early made gerber multi,it was good!
and now after receiving Bes MPT,im hopin some day gerber would make more quality tools like the good old mpt is.

suspension?-no sir :salute:

:D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 03:08:21 AM by Tarrodemierda »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 02:11:55 AM
There have been quite a few I wasn't fond of- Buck's XTract, Leatherman's Charge XTi and a few others, but coming up with the worst one would be somewhat difficult.  Each tool has it's checks and minuses and I try to appreciate each one for what it is, whether it's something I would prefer to carry or not.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 02:40:43 AM
Sorry to say ::) I really like all of my MTs hadn't really ever had 1 fail on me  :) I only own LMs and 1 Swisstool they all seem well built, so I really have no complaints :D So far anyway ::) :D

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 05:14:42 AM
Worst?

One of those "Stainless China" ones.

R

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 05:27:07 AM
My worst one was one of those cheap Taiwan or Chinese ones. I bought it while I was Christmas shopping in December 1999 by the new year it was already worn out so I tossed in the trash and bought a Victorinox SAK.
(

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 05:29:57 AM
I would say the new ( CHINESE >:( MADE :( ) Tough Tool.. I think it is an utter POS!
B

Offline jdailey4206966

• America- Love it or leave it, but don't bleed it!!
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 05:44:31 AM
I would say the new ( CHINESE >:( MADE :( ) Tough Tool.. I think it is an utter POS!

i agree completely!! I have Schrade USA tough tool that is good. A friend of mine bought the chinese tought tool and it fell apart in a week. He pitched it and bought a leatherman wave, after using mine and been happy with it every since.
J

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 06:49:18 AM
 :ahhh Anything that has Made in China on it!!!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 06:52:32 AM

i agree completely!! I have Schrade USA tough tool that is good. A friend of mine bought the chinese tought tool and it fell apart in a week. He pitched it and bought a leatherman wave, after using mine and been happy with it every since.

Sounds like they should call it the WEAK TOOL. I have a USA made one and it work perfectly.
(

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 08:27:13 AM
I like my X-tract: the screws..knife.  But the pliers...I can't say its the worst, but its no good compared to others.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 09:58:30 AM
LM Supertool by a HUGE margin, I could live with the constant de-rusting and oiling (almost daily, whatever the weather, despite living in a belt pouch), and really liked the strength of the beast, but dear god what were they thinking with that locking mechanism ::)

Thing's came to a head when my less then reliable motorbike broke down (again) on a bloody freezing Jan/Feb night just after a late shift at work ::). So I hop of the bike, take the side cover off, get my old solitaire out (it was pitch black), and yep sure enough the bike had eaten yet another glass fuse >:(, so out come's rusty and I get the large flat screwdriver out to pry the remenents of the fuse out before I can pop another one in, did the job just fine, only I'm now tired, cold and more than a little pissed off, so I attempt to close the flat head, but my hands are so numb now that I can't get another stupid tool out in order to close the bloody thing >:(

Well like I said I was tired and hacked of, so stupidly I just put it in my bike jacket and rode home. Thing is one I was on my way I kept thinking of what would happen if I had an accident, and the stupid LM in my pocket decided to put a big hole in my stomach as a final act of malice (yes I hated the bloody thing by now) so that was the last time I used it, and I put it up for sale shortly after.

But what I hate about it most was the fact that it stopped me from buying any other MTs for years, including the Swisstool, as I figured as the LM ST was supposedly the best of the breed :(, that they must all be pretty awful :(, but truth be told I was happy enough with my Sak's anyway :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 11:17:22 AM
Ok, I'll bite first.  :D

Mike, like I have just commented elsewhere (not that I am going to keep on about it or anything  :D) I have no idea how you manage to get your tools so rusty in such a small space of time :think:.  Even "rust tests" conducted by other members have had none of the results you have.  Very odd.

Secondly, the locking mechanism IMO is the safest one going and considering it's lack of a complicated mechanism, it is also one of the most reliable as well.  It also has to be remembered that the Supertool was one of the very first (if not the first ???) multitools to actually come with a locking feature so of course the design would have had flaws (even though I don't consider them to be).

Cue Mike.... now!  :D 
I'm back!!

Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 01:20:02 PM
You calling me a liar >:( :twak: :D

Well my did rust, and at a very annoying rate (I've got a micra that does the same :() and my theory's go like this...

A) I wore it while riding a motorbike in all weathers, and as any biker will testify, bike are a VERY hostile enviroment.

B) My physiology may well be such that my sweat react's to metal in a aggresive manor :-\

C) LM's are no where near as stainless as they claim.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 02:06:58 PM

B) My physiology may well be such that my sweat react's to metal in a aggresive manor :-\

Explains a lot :P

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 05:53:37 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Neil

^ Beat me to the punch. You know, I haven't seen Mike's photo yet.  ???

For me, very rarely do I "impulse buy". All of my multi purchases have been preceded by thorough research and I can't complain about the result.
W

Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 06:59:54 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Neil
Thanks mate :twak: :D

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 08:25:57 PM
R

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 05:25:01 AM
so I attempt to close the flat head, but my hands are so numb now that I can't get another stupid tool out in order to close the bloody thing >:(

ahh but you woulden't have gotten the flathead out of the Swisstool with frozen hands, although the locking mech on the Swisstool is far more easier to use.
[

Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 09:38:49 AM
so I attempt to close the flat head, but my hands are so numb now that I can't get another stupid tool out in order to close the bloody thing >:(

ahh but you woulden't have gotten the flathead out of the Swisstool with frozen hands, although the locking mech on the Swisstool is far more easier to use.
But my hands were warm enough to get the tool out in the first place (althought the cronic clumping probably helped :D) so I wouldn't have any trouble getting the driver out of a Swisstool anyway :P :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD