Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescue type tools

Benner · 103 · 8245

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Rescue type tools
Reply #90 on: July 27, 2008, 01:04:51 PM
i carry benchmade´s rescue hook and a small firemans axe,about 10" tall as and escape tools.the mini-axe is quite good at outdoors too and the spikehead on it keeps its shape after ive bashed it thru windshielsd,doors,glassfiber tanks etc.its not the smallest but its light and fits in backpack easily.its actually from my friend who works for a company that equipp´s buses and trucks for volvo and scania.they put this axe in all of the busses,with fire extinguisher and first aid kit etc.

Offline jdailey4206966

• America- Love it or leave it, but don't bleed it!!
Reply #91 on: July 27, 2008, 04:00:35 PM
I carry the Leatherman Wave with me everywhere!! It can be a literal lifesaver. Here is a story where a man saved lives with his wave at a vehicle accident. Its from Leatherman.com's tool tales:

http://www.leatherman.com/leatherman-world/tool-tales/article.asp?articleID=494
J

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #92 on: July 27, 2008, 05:59:49 PM
Victorinox Rescue Tool or Fireman
R

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #93 on: July 28, 2008, 02:35:54 AM
I am thinking of keeping the CRKT MAK-1 in my Jeep.  It seems like a heavy duty survival/rescue tool that could take a good pounding and keep coming back for more.  Add to that the fact that the MAK-1 is paired with the Extrik8R and I think you have a significantly decent combo for just about any emergency whether it be your own, someone else's, or even just being stuck on the trail.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #94 on: July 28, 2008, 07:48:26 AM
i wish they could sell that crkt for a bit better price,it looks like its a real beater ;)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #95 on: July 28, 2008, 01:31:00 PM
i wish they could sell that crkt for a bit better price,it looks like its a real beater ;)

CRKT's stuff tends to be priced fairly reasonably.

How much is that MAK-1?

N

Offline nezza33

Reply #96 on: July 30, 2008, 10:35:34 AM
I have a ResQme on my rear view mirror. And a couple of those rescue hooks in my MR Rucsacs and a couple in the jeep.
J

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #97 on: August 01, 2008, 03:47:22 PM
I am thinking of keeping the CRKT MAK-1 in my Jeep.  It seems like a heavy duty survival/rescue tool that could take a good pounding and keep coming back for more.  Add to that the fact that the MAK-1 is paired with the Extrik8R and I think you have a significantly decent combo for just about any emergency whether it be your own, someone else's, or even just being stuck on the trail.

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

It,s too bad that they did not make the accesosory pouch a combo type where a person could stash a Multi and a cutter.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #98 on: August 01, 2008, 07:49:11 PM
They do on some other models- it's funny actually, as there are Leatherman Waves in the CRKT catalogue! :D

See this thread for details!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #99 on: August 02, 2008, 06:10:35 PM
Well what i was thinking is a two pocket set up. Large pocket for Multi of your choice, then small in front of Large where the line cutter could be stashed. I am thinking we are on the same sheet of music on this one. Just checking to be sure.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline jdailey4206966

• America- Love it or leave it, but don't bleed it!!
Reply #100 on: August 02, 2008, 06:22:39 PM
Well what i was thinking is a two pocket set up. Large pocket for Multi of your choice, then small in front of Large where the line cutter could be stashed. I am thinking we are on the same sheet of music on this one. Just checking to be sure.

Dtrain

I have heard of some people going to gun stores and buying those 2 pocket pistol magazine holsters. I got a guy I work with who carries his Core on one side and a Buck 110 folder on the other.
J

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: August 03, 2008, 08:19:22 AM
I'd love to be able to carry something like that CRKT double-act in my car at all times, but I think the police may take a dim view of it here in the UK  :).  Damn it; even a dedicated rescue tool like the Vic is illegal to EDC.

I've just got a bunch of ResQMes for each member of the family.  Grabbed a couple of those radioactive-gas glowing keyrings as well so they are easier to find in the dark.  The seatbelt cutter works a treat, and the glass breaker is effective as well.

I might try one of those lifehammers out as well - they look a little more substantial.

Rich.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: August 03, 2008, 09:05:45 AM
While the ResQMe is far from ideal, it certainly is well worth having.  As I said in the survival knife thread a few weeks ago, better to have a second rate blade than none at all.  The ResQMe tool can also be improved upon fairly easily.  My biggest problem is that it might be difficult to hold in event of an accident if your hands are even a little wet, such as in rain, snow, fog or with (heaven forbid) blood.  This can be counteracted easily with about an inch of skateboard type grip tape, or the grip tapes sold for drum or hockey sticks.  And, at the price, they are more than cheap enough to have one in every car, and on every family member's keychain.

Of course it's only functions are extrication from a vehicle, and so it's not much use for day to day tasks, plus it's a little bulky on a keychain, so there are other drawbacks, but they can also be worked around.  The only real concern is that in some environments (like mine for example) the blade may rust, and so might be unusable after a period of disuse.  Again, they are inexpensive enough that you could probably replace them every year or two to make certain you always have a good one.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%