Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Deluxe Climber?

us Offline JNieporte

Deluxe Climber?
on: August 21, 2012, 10:51:05 PM
I have two Victorinox Deluxe Climbers, both new, but have no boxes. I was trying to find a value of these on-line, and while doing so, found out that these are rare. It's the standard Climber model, but with the addition of pliers. Does anybody else have this model?

Front...
(link isn't working)

Back...

Rear tools...

Open...

The corkscrew is grooved, indicating an older knife. The reamer has the sewing eye, and the hook has no file.

Front side tools opened...

The scissors are held together with a screw, not a rivet...

The pliers have the wire cutter notch, but no underside wire stripper...

This seems like the ideal tool for EDC, unfortunately, they're not made any more. Just wondering if anybody else has one of these.
This is gonna hurt...

us Offline Chain Gang

Re: Deluxe Climber?
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:20:06 PM
I have one identical to yours.Didn't realize they were rare.

us Offline JNieporte

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:35:12 PM
I have one identical to yours.Didn't realize they were rare.

They've been discontinued for a while, and are hard to find. Last time I saw real ones (not mods) in the same condition (new, but no box) they were selling for $45-$70. The Deluxe Climbers were only made in standard SAK red; some guy on eBay tried to sell a black-handled mod as a real one and got busted.
This is gonna hurt...

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:32 PM
I was searching for those a while back thinking just like you that they could be the ultimate urban EDC.

I finally bought one on ebay (they pop up now and again, haven't seen one looking quite as good as yours though) that looked a bit worse than I thought when I actually got it.

Figured I might send it in for repair I checked Vic's website and found an authorized service company. I sent it off to them and they fixed it for free.

However.. it turns out that they messed things up a bit. They mangled the liners using pliers to assemble it as well as putting the tools back in the wrong order, putting the scissors behind the pliars making it hard to reach with a nail.

When I complained about that they apologized and asked if I wanted a Handyman for free as compensation.

So.. now I've got an odd looking (but actually in working order, all the tools snap like they should and so on) Deluxe Climber and a mint condition Handyman.

Shortly after this I bought a Compact as well and realized I'd rather carry a two layer Vic than a four (or six if you consider the Handyman) so..  :D

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:49:20 PM
I have 3 or 4 of them. Neat knife. These were made from 1986 up until 2004 in decent quantities. The show up on eBay a little more than once a month (every 25.4 days if you want to be exact) and have an average selling price of $18. The most any has ever sold for on eBay was $40, and that one was NIB with a Zermatt pouch. I consider them unusual, but not rare.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:08:08 AM
I've been thinking it'd be nice to have a Deluxe Climber.  I also like the Explorer a lot, and was thinking it'd be cool to have a mod; a Deluxe Climber with the inline phillips and mag-glass from the Explorer. 

Now that I think about it, I think it'd be even cooler to have a Yeoman with pliers!  That'd be über-sweet!   :drool:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:25:45 AM
I've been thinking it'd be nice to have a Deluxe Climber.  I also like the Explorer a lot, and was thinking it'd be cool to have a mod; a Deluxe Climber with the inline phillips and mag-glass from the Explorer. 

Now that I think about it, I think it'd be even cooler to have a Yeoman with pliers!  That'd be über-sweet!   :drool:

You mean like the Yeoman Mechanic from Swissbianco? ;)

http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Yeoman+Mechanic+-+Swiss+Bianco

I've considered both your ideas as well. The first version would be like a CT34 but with regular philps and mag glass instead of a bit driver and the second one, well.. it's out there already. :)

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 02:01:49 AM

You mean like the Yeoman Mechanic from Swissbianco? ;)

http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Yeoman+Mechanic+-+Swiss+Bianco

I've considered both your ideas as well. The first version would be like a CT34 but with regular philps and mag glass instead of a bit driver and the second one, well.. it's out there already. :)
Doh!   :facepalm:  Yeah, I guess that's where I got the idea then...   :whistle:

It doesn't seem to me like the inline phillips would add much to a CT34; it already comes with a pretty decent #2 phillips bit, plus the other phillips (posi-drive?) bit it has.  It's just taking up space for the mag-glass.

That said, I've been EDC-ing my CT Lite on my belt, and despite the size, I really love it.  I rarely need a file, and for urban EDC never need a saw, so my 41 has seen very little actual use or carry since I got the Lite.  I've found the mag-glass a lot handier than I thought it would be.  I thought the light on it would be brighter, but after thinking about it, I realized it's just bright enough to do what it was intended for, rather than be any kind of real flashlight.  I always carry my Preon anyway (and those little CR1225 cells in the light are bloody expensive!). 

The only thing I'd change about the CT Lite would be to replace the small blade with a combo tool and remove the openers layer to save a layer of thickness.  The small screwdriver on the can opener is redundant with the bit selection, and I rarely use the can opener itself.  The large flathead and wire stripper on the bottle opener are duplicated on the combo tool, so that's no loss.  I wouldn't miss the reamer either.  That would be just about the perfect urban EDC SAK for me, but I still want something small enough to toss in a pocket, and a Yeoman Mechanic might just be the perfect ticket!

Edit: wait... maybe not.  A Cyber Yeoman might be nicer... but then the phillips is redundant with the bit driver...  Oh, smurf it!  Either would be pretty sweet!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:05:21 AM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:16:11 AM
It doesn't seem to me like the inline phillips would add much to a CT34; it already comes with a pretty decent #2 phillips bit, plus the other phillips (posi-drive?) bit it has.  It's just taking up space for the mag-glass.

Well actually I was thinking more like a CT34 without the bitdriver and bitholder but with the regular philips and mag glass instead. You'd end up with the same thickness (or at least close, might be thinner?) and you'd get a mag glass. Sure, you'd loose the driver, but at least you have a decent philips and there's always the bottle opener for flat heads?

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 07:20:45 AM

Well actually I was thinking more like a CT34 without the bitdriver and bitholder but with the regular philips and mag glass instead. You'd end up with the same thickness (or at least close, might be thinner?) and you'd get a mag glass. Sure, you'd loose the driver, but at least you have a decent philips and there's always the bottle opener for flat heads?
A CT 34 without a bit driver layer is a Deluxe Mechanic.

But, if you took an Explorer and added a pliers layer, you'd have basically what you're talking about.  I've thought about a mod like that myself in fact...  I really like the Explorer, despite that it's kind of an oddball model... I keep thinking it'd be more useful with just one more layer, like a pliers layer for urban EDC, or a saw layer, for camping and hiking.  And, I realized I'd be a lot more likely to carry one if it had one less layer, like a Yeoman...   :whistle:

After thinking about it, I'd say I don't really use the flathead driver on the bottle opener for real screws.  If I had to tighten a screw that big, I'd want a proper screwdriver and would just go get one out of my toolbox, unless my SAK was all that I had. 

I tend to use it for things like opening those twisty lids on coin cell battery compartments, like the ones that use CR2032s and the like.  I used it just the other day to pop the cap off the battery compartment of my wife's wireless bluetooth Apple keyboard to put fresh Eneloops in it for her.  But that kind of stuff is about all I ever use it for; you could still do that stuff with a combo tool.

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 01:32:16 AM
My EDC, among other climber variants in rotation, but my favorite and most carried.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 151.93 KB)

us Offline twiliter

Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:22 AM
Newer hunter green scales with pin & mini screwdriver, and Vic. lanyard. While apart deburred the liners with 0000 steel wool, cleaned, sharpened (opener & scissors too), then oiled. Has a solid feel with the pliers, my go-to SAK. Could use plus scales, and a file on the hook, but otherwise exceptional for my purposes.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 151.93 KB)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 03:38:07 AM

Middle slot in this pic...  A gestating Yeoman Mechanic.

There is also a Climber-Lite, a 91mm Alox Chicken (big bantam), a Nouveau Voyageur and a Double Recruit (plain and serrated) with scissors

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 10:22:47 AM
Alox Chicken... I like that :rofl:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

nl Offline marcel.reijerse

Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:45 AM
Hmmm, my dealer still has some old style Deluxe Climbers lying around. I should grab one as I like pliers.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 01:33:52 PM
Hmmm, my dealer still has some old style Deluxe Climbers lying around. I should grab one as I like pliers.

What? New ones?

Would you be interested in picking one up for me and sending it over to Sweden depending on the costs and so on? I've been wanting one in good condition for a while (the one I've got is a bit too worn).

us Offline twiliter

Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 02:23:24 PM
Although my DC has survived Y2k and the end of the Mayan calendar, and  I have high hopes for it surviving the zombie apocalypse, armageddon, the second coming, etc...

I would still like to find one NIB as well, post '91 with hook if anyone has one available.

(Isn't there an area on the board for posts like this?)

Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 08:32:30 PM

What? New ones?

Would you be interested in picking one up for me and sending it over to Sweden depending on the costs and so on? I've been wanting one in good condition for a while (the one I've got is a bit too worn).

Yep, new as in: NOS in the red boxes and given some other old stock he had, I presume pre '91, so old style corkscrew and pliers and no hook. I believe he wants around 42 euro for them so they're not cheap. Last time I was there, about a month ago, he had at least two of these in stock.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:51:36 PM by marcel.reijerse »

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 12:39:40 PM
Yep, new as in: NOS in the red boxes and given some other old stock he had, I presume pre '91, so old style corkscrew and pliers and no hook. I believe he wants around 42 euro for them so they're not cheap. Last time I was there, about a month ago, he had at least two of these in stock.

Hmm..

Very tempting. Buuuut.. I think I'll hold on to my cash for a while longer after all. Trying to resist the temptations of this bloody forum.. :D

Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 02:36:01 PM

Hmm..

Very tempting. Buuuut.. I think I'll hold on to my cash for a while longer after all. Trying to resist the temptations of this bloody forum.. :D

:D Good luck resisting >:D

us Offline twiliter

Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 09:59:43 PM

There is also a Climber-Lite, a 91mm Alox Chicken (big bantam), a Nouveau Voyageur and a Double Recruit (plain and serrated) with scissors

Hello PTRSAK, I also liked the idea of a Climber Lite with the inline phillips, so I made one. It's a Voyager Lite with the electronic scales replaced with regular black plus scales. Part of my EDC rotation but mostly night use. Thought of calling it Explorer-Spelunker, Midnite Explorer, and of course, Climber Lite. I like your name for it best. Here it is with my Deluxe Climber.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 158.12 KB)

Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 07:52:56 PM
Confirmed, my dealer has 2 NOS Deluxe Climbers. But at €41,90 each they will probably stay there a little longer. I left with a NOS Super Timer  :climber:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%