Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Streamlight ProTac 2AAA Flashlight - REVIEW

us Offline BR101

Streamlight ProTac 2AAA Flashlight - REVIEW
on: February 23, 2013, 12:52:00 AM

Specifications:
- C4 LED technology, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime
- LED Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life
3 light output levels:
- High: 80 Lumens, 1550 candela peak beam intensity, 80 meter beam distance, 1.5 hours runtime
- Low: 10 Lumens, 200 candela peak beam intensity, 28 meter beam distance, 30 hours runtime
- Strobe: 5 hours runtime
- Multi-function, push-button tail switch for one-handed operation
- Optimized electronics provides regulated intensity
- Uses two AAA alkaline batteries (included)
- Durable and abrasion-resistant machined aluminum construction with Type II Mil-Spec anodized finish
- Anti-roll head prevents the light from rolling away when you set it down
- Removable pocket clip for easy access
- O-ring sealed glass lens
- IPX7; waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes
- Length: 5.62" (14.27 cm)
- Weight: 2 oz. (57g) with batteries
Limited lifetime warranty

Today I am reviewing the Streamlight ProTac 2AAA penlight flashlight. Immediately taking it out of the package I get what everyone was saying - Boy is this thing light! Two ounces with batteries! This would be a great light for someone who is very weight sensitive when choosing their gear. Whether you're shopping for a light to put in your EDC bag or a light for hiking or cycling, this would be a great choice. Or in my case I clip mine to my Zulu molle visor panel. Being as light as it is, it doesn't even budge the visor even with all my other paper and crap in it. Working under the hood of my Jeep or under the dash is a lot easier with the smaller light than using my Nitecore MH25.

Here you can see the sleek mil-spec constructed aluminum body. Towards the head of the light you have some machined cooling fins which also serve as anti-roll stops. So no more having to worry about your light rolling off your work bench or table top. You can also use these fins to get a real good solid purchase on the light without having to worry about it slipping out of the hand.

Around the front bezel of the head there is some machined out grooves which could be used as a non-lethal blunt object. You may say non-lethal blunt object?!?  Don't let those small machined grooves fool you. There actually pretty blunt and I can guarantee would definitely stun someone in a self defense role.

Here we'll take a closer look at the bulb and bulb housing. The Streamlight ProTac 2AAA light uses a C4 LED with a smooth reflector which produces a astounding 80 lumens on high, and 10 lumens on low. Streamlight claims the run time on high is 1.5 hours and while on low 30 hours. This light also has a strobe mode which is very bright!

Another shot of the mil-spec machined aluminum body and the pocket clip. The tension on the clip is great! It's not excessive to the point where it's a challenge sometimes to clip it back onto something. In the pants or in my case on my visor panel it doesn't move around at all. In the background you see the UZI tactical pen I just got from BladeHQ. It would be neat if this light had some diamond cut knurling around the body line the UZI pen does. But that's just my personal opinion.

Here you can see the multi-function push-button tail switch. The switch can be manipulated using one hand. To switch between Low, High and Strobe all you do is simply double-tap the switch to go through the modes. Streamlight made operating this light super easy.

The shot above is on the Low 10 lumens mode. The light is approx 5-6ft away from the pen and knife. Even on low is has a real nice bright center with a good amount of outer flood.

Here is a shot from the same distance, instead it was on High 80 lumens mode. It's definitely a night and day difference. For being a small penlight it's pretty dang bright!

Streamlight ProTac 2AAA next to the UZI tactical pen and the Kershaw Cryo for size reference.

And here you can see how ergonomic it is in the hand. Very easy to get a secure grip.

My final conclusion on the Streamlight ProTac 2AAA Flashlight: I got this light a couple of weeks ago and love it. Pushing the button can be a little tough at first but once it's broken in it's silky smooth. My only dislikes on the light is I wish the clip was more towards the end of the light so it would sit in a pant pocket better. And my other dislike is you have to go through strobe to get to low. Other than that, this light rocks! And I really look forward to checking out other streamlight penlights and maybe even some competitors as well.

*LINK REMOVED*

Thanks
- Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:33:57 AM by enki_ck »

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Re: Streamlight ProTac 2AAA Flashlight - REVIEW
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 01:20:44 AM
just bought one of these too.
its a nice light.
streamlight makes great products.
they have never failed me and I've beat up a few of them pretty bad.  =)

love my preons but I've killed 2 of them.
streamlight over the preon for reliability any day.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline EZ822

Re: Streamlight ProTac 2AAA Flashlight - REVIEW
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:24:06 AM
I bought one of these back in January. I agree it is a great light I use it as my off duty EDC light. As for the clip you can move it up towards the tail cap. I did it on mine and it worked out great. I carry it in my back left pocket next to my wallet and it sits securely in there.
Erick

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD