Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK modding guides, all in one place.

Gareth · 50 · 72660

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: SAK modding guides, all in one place.
Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 06:31:53 PM
Thanks for the answers guys :tu: of course you know what we say about stickies :facepalm: I was caught not reading them  :D

Offline Tjzm1993

Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 03:07:53 AM
I would like some help/advice with my first modding plans.

I want to make a "maxed out" flight version of the minichamp (basically remove the two blades and reshuffle the remaining components accordingly).

I also want to figure out a way to take a cybertool 34 and add the 58mm combo tool (bottle opener/phillips head piece) and either the 74mm or 58mm orange peeler to it, and likely remove the scissors as well.

I think it would be neat to take a 91mm small blade and cram it into a minichamp as well, also removing the two native blades in the process. Is that feasible.

TIA for any/all advice

EDIT: Instead of a maxed out flight minichamp, I would like to take a jetsetter 3 (combo-phillips + scissors, t&t), and replace the toothpick scale with a pen scale, and the scissors with the 58mm orange peeler + ruler/sd tip (any recommendations how to turn the other side of that into a file like they should have done from day 1?). Is there any way to modify a default 58mm scale to hold both the toothpick and the tweezers? parallel diagonal is what I'm thinking, but I bet those rivets would get in the way.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 03:13:13 AM by Tjzm1993 »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 12:08:38 PM
I would like some help/advice with my first modding plans.

I want to make a "maxed out" flight version of the minichamp (basically remove the two blades and reshuffle the remaining components accordingly).

I also want to figure out a way to take a cybertool 34 and add the 58mm combo tool (bottle opener/phillips head piece) and either the 74mm or 58mm orange peeler to it, and likely remove the scissors as well.

I think it would be neat to take a 91mm small blade and cram it into a minichamp as well, also removing the two native blades in the process. Is that feasible.

TIA for any/all advice

EDIT: Instead of a maxed out flight minichamp, I would like to take a jetsetter 3 (combo-phillips + scissors, t&t), and replace the toothpick scale with a pen scale, and the scissors with the 58mm orange peeler + ruler/sd tip (any recommendations how to turn the other side of that into a file like they should have done from day 1?). Is there any way to modify a default 58mm scale to hold both the toothpick and the tweezers? parallel diagonal is what I'm thinking, but I bet those rivets would get in the way.

I can't answer many of your questions but I do know that Syph007 was working on a solution for bringing the T&T together with a light and pen in the 58mm. It's not what you were asking for but it does allow you to bring all the 58mm scale tools. See link

As for the ruler/SD I would recommend going from the other direction, adding a ruler to a file with SD-tip should be much easier (some sort of etching preferably).

Offline Quizerno

• New User
Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 07:57:19 PM
I'm trying to replace the main blade on a Angler (91mm), I'm looking for screw pivots to replace the rivets once I remove them.

Do these only work with the Alox models, and if they would work with the Angler how do I ensure that their long enough (they don't list the measurement units on the site).
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=60_83&products_id=471

Alternatively, I'll just use the regular pins in the guides.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 08:55:48 AM
I'm trying to replace the main blade on a Angler (91mm), I'm looking for screw pivots to replace the rivets once I remove them.

Do these only work with the Alox models, and if they would work with the Angler how do I ensure that their long enough (they don't list the measurement units on the site).
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=60_83&products_id=471

Alternatively, I'll just use the regular pins in the guides.

You will find that the pins on the 91 mm SAKs are a mix of 2.5 and 2.2 mm, quite a bit smaller than 1/8". Unless you have the tools to drill the holes pinning will be the way to go.

Offline Hoàng Lê

• New User
Reply #35 on: August 25, 2017, 12:23:30 AM
Does anyone know how to coat the victorinox's blade black, I've tried the FeCl3 solution as a test and it didn't work. Sorry for my bad english  :D

Offline George S

Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 02:11:15 PM
The guides listed in this sticky have been inspirational and will hopefully be invaluable.

...but, some of them are rather out of date what with the lack of photos coming through from Photobucket. Maybe it's time for an update: either re-adding the original photos or advising in the original post which guides now lack photos.

I'm sure the ones that no longer have photos will still be useful though. Well, I hope so! Either way, I'm grateful for their existence.

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #37 on: February 24, 2018, 06:10:05 PM
I feel "done" with the actual missing challenge work my Whittling Cadet (picture: 2x recruit+ MFW wood saw) that in the end went from five layer (!) to four (still!). Four chisels and for blades. I plan on reducing it to three layers eventually but atm it works fine.

My new plan is to make a three layer 93 mm. Chisel layers aside (which may or may not end up with an electrician blade), I want to have one layer work two main blades in. For whittling I want as short blade as possible to keep control without using too much force. So the blades will probably be one wharncliffe (see picture for the idea of it if unsure) and one with a shortened version of normal Victorinox shaped one.

My thinking is about the spring - is it possible to reshape the spring to accommodate a second main-blade instead of the awl?

Sent from my Whittling Cadet using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:14:17 PM by stoneshank »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #38 on: February 24, 2018, 06:27:20 PM
I don’t know much about alox springs, but I think that if you made your own topic with an appropriate title, more people would see your question.  :cheers:

After all, nobody reads the stickies!   :whistle: :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #39 on: February 24, 2018, 06:47:53 PM
I don’t know much about alox springs, but I think that if you made your own topic with an appropriate title, more people would see your question.  :cheers:

After all, nobody reads the stickies!   :whistle: :rofl:
Great advice, Mr O'Brien. Thank you

Sent from my Whittling Cadet using Tapatalk

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 07:11:09 PM
He's right you know.  No one reads the stickies. :facepalm:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 07, 2020, 04:42:42 AM
I had a new thread to add - So I did a small re-org of the first page.

I hope it survives the recovery activities!

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #42 on: March 19, 2021, 02:46:29 PM
Would anyone know where to get extra bushings in the UK for 91mm work?
I've managed to source the right size brass rod but need to replace the existing bushings that I banjaxed drilling out the pins - a common enough event for the inexperienced!
Any help would be appreciated.
We take what is offered...
Morituri Nolumus Mori

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: March 19, 2021, 04:18:06 PM
I don't have have any spares sadly.  :-\ You might get more notice if you start a new topic in the mod squad area.  Can't say for sure but I'd be surprised if there was no-one out there willing to help.  Best of luck.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 20, 2021, 05:44:34 AM
I’d try the *bay seller in Germany. Has pin and bushing kits. Haven’t tried them myself, but others have here.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #45 on: March 20, 2021, 11:40:30 AM
I’d try the *bay seller in Germany. Has pin and bushing kits. Haven’t tried them myself, but others have here.
Would you have a userId I can search for?
Morituri Nolumus Mori

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #46 on: March 20, 2021, 11:46:30 AM
I don't have have any spares sadly.  :-\ You might get more notice if you start a new topic in the mod squad area.  Can't say for sure but I'd be surprised if there was no-one out there willing to help.  Best of luck.
Thanks Gareth. New thread started.  :tu:
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Offline Pandasaurus

• New User
Reply #47 on: June 07, 2022, 04:21:31 PM
I was thinking about modding a 93mm SAK, by also changing victorinox's blade with Spyderco Dragonfly 2. Howeven I'm not sure if I'd be able to fit the in-line awl by doing so.

If I can't, can the in-line awl fit with the electrician blade or cap opener?

Offline BGC_Tom

Reply #48 on: August 14, 2022, 05:36:29 PM
Fantastic resource. Thanks!  :climber:

00 Offline Matcha255

Reply #49 on: February 06, 2023, 08:02:37 PM
I don't really know if I actually want to try a mod but I'm style interested in if it's possible.

Would it be possible to put a Leatherman diamond file in a SAK, or any diamond and metal file for that matter.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%