Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I own several Gerber Multi Tools.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
I own several Gerber Multi Tools.
on: December 05, 2006, 05:06:29 AM
I do, and I can't find anything wrong with them.  It seems they are no0b multis on every site/messageboard I read.  Any specific reasons why they are generally referred to as 'ehh'?

I've been scanning ebay (and this site) for a SOG tool of some kind to see what that's all about...the toolclip looks great, since I don't wear a belt (therefore no sheath :) )
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: I own several Gerber Multi Tools.
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:42:27 AM
There is nothing at all wrong with Gerber tools.  Some folks just don;t feel secure with the rattling that results from the sliding head plier mechanism, but then if you look hard enough, you will find something wrong with every brand.

Welcome to the forum, and feel free to let us know what models you have, what you prefer about them and so on.  Maybe with someone who is pro Gerber we might get some others interested as well!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline bobofish

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 11:49:12 AM
Use what you like, and bite your thumb at people who bother you about it.

People should spend more time discussing your Mother's army boots, your raging nose hair, or that weird smell that follows you around rather than talking about how much your tools suck.

As for me, I don't like Gerbers just because so many of them are made in China. I don't mind the rattle; my LM Surge rattles too. I have seen some Gerbers fall apart, but I've seen that with Ferraris too.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 12:16:46 PM
Well put Bobo!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 01:41:48 PM
I agree, I may not have owned alot of Gebers in my tool owning existance; but what I have owned has been quality. Even the Clutch I got from our own buddy Def isn't as bad as some of the tools made my manufacturers out of CHINA, Geber may not be #1 on the ladder of tool stardom but it is a contender and we need a pro Gerber guy on here who can support those folks.

David (darn it's not easy typing with a 7 month old in your lap LOL)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 01:57:41 PM
This is a list of tools that Gerber Currently has on the market, alot of them are run off, or spin offs if you will of tools they already make, with some variation to them. I Don't know if we would need review for every flavor but it would be nice enough to beef us our Gerber catagory, maybe if it has a big enough following, create it's own forum in the future. I myself have owned a 400 Compact sport, a Legend 800 and a Multi-Lite (not listed) and those reviews could help round things out a little bit....didn't someone write a Diesel review? Anyways let me know, I am always looking of exansion and for people who have the passion to write good tool reviews. Thanks for asking.

Diesel Multi-Plier
Multi-Plier 700 Urban Legend
Multi-Plier 800 Legend
Multi-Plier 400 Compact Sport
Multi-Plier 400 C.S. w/ Tool Kit
Multi-Plier 400 Compact Fisherman
Multi-Plier 600 Blunt Nose
Multi-Plier 600 Blunt Nose w/ Tool Kit
Multi-Plier 600 Cable Cutters
Multi-Plier 600 N.N. w/ Tool Kit
Multi-Plier 600 Maintenance Kit
Multi-Plier 600 Pro Scout Blunt Nose
Multi-Plier 600 Pro Scout Needlenose
Multi-Plier 600 Pro Scout with Tool Kit
Multi-Plier 600 D.E.T.
Multi-Plier 600 Pro Scout Camo
Nautilus

Don't know about these:
Shortcut Mini Scissor
Suspension Multi-Plier
Total Eclipse

David

Offline damota

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 03:18:35 PM
There is absolutely no good reason why they are "referred to as 'ehh'". Gerbers have always served my purpose and have kept my respect. Leatherman has the name through advertising, if you show a tool of any make to a non multitool user they are liable to call it a Leatherman in the same way all floor cleaners are a Hoover. If you look into the claims made about Gerber some are ridiculous when you look at the tool you are holding.
If I did go for a different make I like you seem to be wanting to explore would get a SOG but they do not seem to have an proper importer here in the UK. They make a tool for Paladin that would be good for my use but the place that imports them want a quarter of the price more just to put it in the post so I just altered a Gerber to do what I want and carry a standalone tool for pushing the wires in.
If you are having trouble finding SOG tools where are you based? There is a SOG worker just joined so I am hoping in time he might be able to help us with a good supplier over here?

Dave

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 08:38:01 PM
I think one of the main reasons I don't care for Gerber is that they aren't a dedicated knife/tool company.  For the most part, the companies I prefer have one or two product types. 

The toilets in my house are made by Gerber.  I have a hard time buying a multi from a company that makes toilets...  just my personal opinion though...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline damota

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 09:22:24 PM
Pity you have been missled.
In 1932, Max Gerber established a plumbing fixture company dedicated to quality, style, performance and durability that has earned the respect of plumbing contractors and builders ever since.
1939 — Joseph Gerber leaves the ad business to launch Gerber Legendary Blades.
1991 — Gerber introduces the Multi-Plier. Two years later, it's among our best selling products.
Just in case you were led to believe they had anything to do with Gerber Baby Foods-
According to Daniel Gerber, it all started in his kitchen the summer of 1927. Following the advice of a pediatrician, Dorothy Gerber had been hand-straining solid food for her seven-month-old daughter Sally.
Seeing as Gerber Knives are now part of Fiskars
http://www.fiskars.fi/en/index.html
Fiskars Brands, Inc. is a subsidiary of Fiskars Corporation, which was founded in 1649 when a Dutch merchant was given a charter to establish a blast furnace and forging operation in the small village of Fiskars, near Helsinki. In the early years, Fiskars made nails, wire, hoes and metal reinforced wheels from pig iron. No mention of toilets on there site just scissors, Gerber Knives, Silva compass's and the Inha Iron works.
Delved in ten minutes on Google
That means they could possibly use their own steel certainly they should know about the steel they use. Pity they do not use tool steel and forget about useing all stainless for everything. :(

Dave
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:27:36 PM by damota »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 11:50:52 PM
There is a SOG worker just joined

Chris isn't just any SOG worker- He's the Director of Marketing for the whole durned ball of wax!  We only attract the upper crust of the tool industry here!

Def

Offline Lion

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 05:28:02 AM
I agree that Gerber can make a good tool. A few of them look interesting to me too. For the most part though I don't like them. Its not a quality issue, just a preference thing.

For instance, Benchmade makes good knives. Most people wont argue with that. I don't like their knives. There isn't anything wrong with them, they just don't appeal to me. Some people make the mistake of confusing quality with personal preference is all.

Leo

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 12:15:22 PM
I see damota that you have a strong distaste for Gerber tools, the 600 in particular, I remember seeing this quoted: "Multitool.org forum user dunc5 says the Gerber Multi Plier 600 is the worst multi tool he owned:
the screws in the handles kept coming loose on both handles and the awl broke after trying to put a small hole in a thin bit of plastic , I've never bought another gerber product again
According to user damota the handle problem can be remedied as follows: Simply use Loctite on the threads when ever you loosen or tighten those threads.Can be applied with a pin so you do not need to strip the thing right down to do it. "

Darn you must have had a bad one of the batch, mine is rather nice and taken a beaten quite well, quality control you think? I know that company is by no means LEATHERMAN or SOG but you shouldnt sell them out from a bad experience. Gerber at least deserves a special following and such because they are part of where we can from in the tool industry and where we are going.

David

Offline damota

Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 04:57:33 PM
I see damota that you have a strong distaste for Gerber tools, the 600 in particular, I remember seeing this quoted: "Multitool.org forum user dunc5 says the Gerber Multi Plier 600 is the worst multi tool he owned:
the screws in the handles kept coming loose on both handles and the awl broke after trying to put a small hole in a thin bit of plastic , I've never bought another gerber product again
According to user damota the handle problem can be remedied as follows: Simply use Loctite on the threads when ever you loosen or tighten those threads.Can be applied with a pin so you do not need to strip the thing right down to do it. "

Darn you must have had a bad one of the batch, mine is rather nice and taken a beaten quite well, quality control you think? I know that company is by no means LEATHERMAN or SOG but you shouldnt sell them out from a bad experience. Gerber at least deserves a special following and such because they are part of where we can from in the tool industry and where we are going.

David
Got me wrong there David, I have a strong respect for Gerber, started way back with their 110 so when multis became available it was natural to use a manufacturer that I trusted, I only have Gerber tools, (the only other tool I would entertain is SOG)  and I may admit to the hand pinching being a problem of the first Gerber design. After hearing the cries of rust and bits dropping off, I have checked with the different people I have given my old tools to and none have rusted and they are all being used either as part of a tool kit or as an EDC and even the finger pinching can be worked round. 
I said about using (I had better be precise) Thread lock to hold the screw as stated on the instructions of both Leatherman and Gerber to stop the screw unthreading itself at that time I had not stripped my MP600 so did not know that it is impossible to spin a Gerber axle with the newer designed models. The fact that Gerber Knives were sold to Fiskars is of no concern to me (Fiskars also bought Wilkinson Sword (a UK knife and sword Co as well as a razor blade Co)) I have no shares in any of the companies but when I hear bull being spouted like a pin being made out of copper or Gerber selling toilets (if they were I would still buy a Gerber multitool because I can tell the difference) as no one else says anything (because I am starting to think it is thought to be unamerican) I do. I want folks on this foram to have straight information without prejudice. Oh I have a a LM Crunch that I used for a while as a screwdriver but it is retired now and just used from my tool kit. If other LMs are built the same as that they are no use to me as I need the bit of grip that Gerbers non shiny surface has and find shiny tools difficult to hold up a ladder in rain.
I still work by the old adage "it's a bad workman that blames his tools"
If your message was to dunc5 I apologize.

Dave

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 05:21:25 PM
Damota: Got me wrong there David, I have a strong respect for Gerber, started way back with their 110 so when multis became available it was natural to use a manufacturer that I trusted, I only have Gerber tools, (the only other tool I would entertain is SOG)  and I may admit to the hand pinching being a problem of the first Gerber design. After hearing the cries of rust and bits dropping off, I have checked with the different people I have given my old tools to and none have usted and they are all being used either as part of a tool kit or as an EDC and even the finger pinching can be worked around.

True, sorry if I offended you, the quoted piece was from multitoolguide and they may have mistaken your wording or it made me read into it more than I should have. Any unpolished steel tends to have rust issues and yes Gerbers do pinch and they could have fixed that problem a long time ago.

Damota: I said about using (I had better be precise) Thread lock to hold the screw as stated on the instructions of both Leatherman and Gerber to stop the screw unthreading itself at that time I had not stripped my MP600 so did not know that it is impossible to spin a Gerber axle with the newer designed models. The fact that Gerber Knives were sold to Fiskars is of no concern to me (Fiskars also bought Wilkinson Sword (a UK knife and sword Co as well as a razor blade Co)) I have no shares in any of the companies but when I hear bull being spouted like a pin being made out of copper or Gerber selling toilets (if they were I would still buy a Gerber multitool because I can tell the difference) as no one else says anything (because I am starting to think it is thought to be unamerican) I do.  [/qoute]

Yea I know who Wilkinson Sword is, didn't know Fiskars bought them, the 600 is pretty decent considering it's faults and age, it does say USA on the tool, is this a lie or is still made off-shore and assembled in the US.

Damota:I want folks on this forum to have straight information without prejudice. Oh I have a a LM Crunch that I used for a while as a screwdriver but it is retired now and just used from my tool kit. If other LMs are built the same as that they are no use to me as I need the bit of grip that Gerbers non shiny surface has and find shiny tools difficult to hold up a ladder in rain.
I still work by the old adage "it's a bad workman that blames his tools"

I think this forum/site is totally dedicate to people getting the information straight, with so much going on out there in the market place, it's hard for the average joe to know what to do. I know what you mean a about bad bad workman blaming his tools, and credit where credit is due. Sorry if I stepped on toes I just wanted to make sure the quote was right because the people made you out to be a Gerber basher LOL :)

David

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 07:52:58 PM
So if I'm understanding all this correctly, it sounds like you guys both like Gerber multi tools? Well, so do I. I mean, they certainly have their plusses and minuses, just like multis from any other manufacturer. To me, the best thing about a Gerber is how quickly you can access the pliers, using only one hand. A flick of the wrist, and they're ready to go.

....and let's face it, there are a LOT of Gerber tools out their in the workplace, probably second in number only to Leatherman tools. That means a lot of other people like them too!

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 08:13:16 PM
Hmm... I'm interested now.  Anyone know where we could get a list of Gerber Corporation divisions?  I can find a lot of things that have the Gerber brand name on them... I'd like to know if they are all related.

And yes, my toilet is a Gerber... http://www.gerberonline.com/Default.aspx
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 09:07:58 PM
I am not allowed to respond to that for fear of hurting myself real bad when I fall out of my chair.

Def

Offline damota

Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 10:06:00 PM
Hmm... I'm interested now.  Anyone know where we could get a list of Gerber Corporation divisions?  I can find a lot of things that have the Gerber brand name on them... I'd like to know if they are all related.

And yes, my toilet is a Gerber... http://www.gerberonline.com/Default.aspx
The Gerber you give your link to has nothing to do with Gerber Knives
http://www.gerberonline.com/Profile.aspx
That is the profile of your toilets company. If you have a link showing ownership please show it.
Gerber Knives were bought by Fiskers a few years ago and have no corporation divisions as such. Fiskars was a steel company that had a small works near Helsinki, they grew into the Fiskars Corporation The American base is here and the contact numbers for their US brands are listed-
http://www.fiskarsbrands.com/contact.php
Here you will find the main companies they run. Fourth in the list is Gerber Legendary Knives.
For a full list of the "Family of Brands" they are listed here.
http://www.fiskarsbrands.com/our_family_of_brands.php
If you go to GerberGear, Gerber Knives site you will see that the founder of Gerber Knives Joseph Gerber left an advertising company to start his knife business
http://www.gerbergear.com/history.php
The plumbing company started by Max Gerber seems to be a much bigger company than Joseph Gerbers ever was, and was started 7 years before Joseph's knife company and he started that after running an advertising company from 1910.

Dave

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 07:11:27 AM
Ok, so I'm wrong about my toilet being related to your multitool :)

But, by following this link you posted, http://www.fiskarsbrands.com/contact.php, it sort of proves my original thought.  I said that Gerber was a company that wasn't focused on knives/tools (which was wrong)... If I read that correctly, it's the company that owns them that's not focused on knives/tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%