Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One hand SAK mod

Jazz · 20 · 1907

ca Offline Jazz

One hand SAK mod
on: August 04, 2020, 02:51:09 AM
I just got my first one hand open SAK, the Soldier, and as I suspected after watching vids of people fumbling and having not the smoothest openings, and seeing countless pics, the hole was highly polished and sort of chamfered. Not easy/reliable to open.

I’m a 13 year Spyderco user, so I like a crisp edged hole that your thumb will stay in through the whole opening with no slippage. I’ve modded a lot of Spydies, and they were nowhere near this slick.

Anyway, all I did was use a diamond Dremel bit to go around the hole until it was sharp enough. Had to knock it back a bit, because a burr formed. Now, it opens smooth, fast, and very reliably.

I highly recommend this mod, even if you think it’s fine how it is. It’s like night and day. Probably can’t tell in this pic, but it’s a pic.  :)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: One hand SAK mod
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 04:13:29 AM
Ive seen that some people put a zip tie in the Spyderco thumb hole... that might help as well.

Nice idea though - make the angle of attack just right for you.  The OHO on the Victorinox isn't the easiest... that's for sure. 

us Offline robo

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 05:34:55 AM
Nice! It’s great that you made a useful item a little more useful.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 12:13:58 PM
I can't flip my OHO SAKs like I do with my Spydercos, but I don't really mind. It's not like I need a flash deployment for the use I put them to.

Having said that, good for you for managing to speed/safe up the OHO system. We are awl different an we should fit our tools to our needs/tastes.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 02:57:54 AM
I’m not into fast, show offy flicking and flipping at all.  I find that behaviour really lame, making us knife people look bad to others. Anyway, this just makes it safer and surer. It doesn’t slip off the thumb.

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 12:14:05 PM
I have to add that, some people think the back spring is too strong for one hand opening. Not at all, once the hole edges are crisper and don't slip.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 12:44:09 PM
I have to add that, some people think the back spring is too strong for one hand opening. Not at all, once the hole edges are crisper and don't slip.

Ok, you solved that one. How about OneHandClosing? Can you manage that, with your right hand?

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 02:08:56 PM
Ok, you solved that one. How about OneHandClosing? Can you manage that, with your right hand?

:pok: :pok:

No sir. That’s annoying, but I can live with it. Being able to open with one good hand is more important to me in an emergency than closing. But yeah, I’d rather it was easy right handed.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 02:17:44 PM
No sir. That’s annoying, but I can live with it. Being able to open with one good hand is more important to me in an emergency than closing. But yeah, I’d rather it was easy right handed.

I can live with two hand closing.  Especially when I realized that the "left hand" liner lock is designed that way so that one liner lock operates both the knife and the SD... I'm happy with a thinner knife with just one liner lock that does double duty.   :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 05:17:40 PM

I practiced enough to be able to close it one-handed, but you need to be very careful! Your thumb gets in the way of the blade!

:ahhh :ahhh

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 09:03:21 PM
It took a little practice, but I can close it one handed with my right hand. The key is to hold the knife like you would while using it and move the lock over with your index finger instead of flipping it over and trying to use your thumb.

Certainly not as intuitive as a normal liner lock, but it seems pretty natural to me at this point.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 04:50:38 PM
It took a little practice, but I can close it one handed with my right hand. The key is to hold the knife like you would while using it and move the lock over with your index finger instead of flipping it over and trying to use your thumb.

Certainly not as intuitive as a normal liner lock, but it seems pretty natural to me at this point.

Doing it like that, you need to press the back of the blade with something to have it fold close, right? What do you use? Thumb?

:think: :think:

I turn the blade up, use the thumb to push the lock and the index finger to close the blade enough to pass the lock. I then use both the index and thumb in the blade hole and press them towards the palm of the hand until it closes.

:tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 02:59:31 AM

Works quite well. Thanks. Just need to practice to make it safer.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 04:42:31 PM
Doing it like that, you need to press the back of the blade with something to have it fold close, right? What do you use? Thumb?

:think: :think:

I turn the blade up, use the thumb to push the lock and the index finger to close the blade enough to pass the lock. I then use both the index and thumb in the blade hole and press them towards the palm of the hand until it closes.

:tu: :tu:

Exactly, I use my thumb to start the blade closed, and then typically finish closing by putting the back of the blade against my pant leg. 

I’ve attached a pic of my grip when closing.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 04:43:24 PM
Works quite well. Thanks. Just need to practice to make it safer.

Awesome, glad it worked for you  :tu:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 05:07:02 PM
Exactly, I use my thumb to start the blade closed, and then typically finish closing by putting the back of the blade against my pant leg. 

I’ve attached a pic of my grip when closing.

:pok:  Uhm... you're not going to post that picture without showing off that nice plain edge, wood scaled 111mm without a backstory and more pictures .... are you?  :poke:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 07:49:55 PM
:pok:  Uhm... you're not going to post that picture without showing off that nice plain edge, wood scaled 111mm without a backstory and more pictures .... are you?  :poke:

Ha, you got me  :D

It’s a scale mod to a sentinel I just made:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85284.0.html

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 08:03:09 PM
Ha, you got me  :D

It’s a scale mod to a sentinel I just made:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85284.0.html

Interesting how they have a left-to-right liner lock on the Sentinel, even though they don't need to...   Its a different mechanism compared to the tools with a locking SD on the other end.  They could have reversed the mechanism onto the other liner.   :dunno:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 04:00:56 PM
Has anyone had success with attaching an aftermarket thumb stud to the back of the blade?

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 25, 2024, 10:16:43 PM
Bringing this old topic back to life…

I have a tough time opening my Locksmith one handed. So I added some zip ties. Just an experiment and not very nice to look at. lol

They do move a bit. Still awkward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* image-2024-02-25-16:15:59-817.jpg (Filesize: 266.65 KB)

* image-2024-02-25-16:16:30-536.jpg (Filesize: 260.47 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%