Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first s30v blade

jzmtl · 11 · 2897

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
My first s30v blade
on: April 06, 2008, 07:20:33 AM
So me and buddies drove down to plattesburg NY today. I was hoping to pick up some of the duracell 123a clearance at best buy and the $9 inova x5 at target. Well the 123a is sold out, and they'll have a target store sometime in october. Ha ha...

What I did remember to pick up thou is the s30v spyderco native at walmart. Took it home, checked angle, like my endura the front side is good 15°, while back is way more than that. Reprofiled back to 15° too, gave it my standard treatment (sharpmaker, 1500 grit sandpaper, carboard). Holy crap this thing gets sharp! I think it's even sharper than my centofante which is almost half the thickness and hollow ground. Very nice shape too, wish our walmart carry the same goodie knives american walmart does.   

It's now riding in my back pocket, I'll compare it with centofante that rides in front pocket and see which one I like better. If this thing had dual nested steel liner it'll be perfect.

us Offline WhichDawg

Re: My first s30v blade
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 09:01:28 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about s30v! I will get one this year, probably a folder too.
I'd also like to try some H-1 steels, Spyderco has some sweet ones of them too; http://spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?blade=H-1

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 02:42:45 PM
Glad you were able to score a Spyderco Native at Walmart.    The local Walmart stores near me have not stocked Natives since I bought my plain edge Native there a few years ago.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 10:55:07 PM
I was pretty amazed when I got my 1st "super steel". Mine was a Spyderco too, a Navigator 2 with VG-10 steel. That thing will hold an edge like crazy.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 02:10:00 AM
The best thing you can do with a S30V blade is to keep it shiny, and you'll never have a problem with it. If you let it go dull, then you´ll have to use a belt grinder to return it to its original shape.

Carlos
(

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 03:00:42 PM
Why is that? ??? I had to reprofile it a little when I got it, can't imagine sharpening it is any more diffifult.

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 04:06:20 AM
Oh, then you should not have any trouble. Most people is not able to sharpen a S30V blade due to the lack of the proper tools, or skills, but seems you are well prepared

Carlos
(

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 05:39:38 AM
Oh I see. I have a few ceramic and diamond sharpener at disposal.

I did try to reprofile VG10 blade with a hardware store stone before I got the diamond stuff, talk about MAJOR pain in the butt!

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 06:41:13 AM
That is the point, VG10 is usually around 59 HRc, and S30V is around 60-61. Being harder, is also harder to sharpen, but also holds an edge longer.

Carlos
(

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 07:56:01 PM
S30V likes a fine finish , ie: finish it with a fine waterstone , fine ceramic , or a good strop . DMT fine diamond stone + strop is also good . Sharpened on course stuff , it will never be at its best . I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker , I backbevel and strop . In the field , I use a DMT double sided hone , the back of the hone pouch is loaded with abrasive and used as a strop .

Chris

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 05:52:29 AM
My first s30v blade that I got is on a Sm Sebenza,only had it about a month or so,cuts real good,shredded more newspapers than I can count,but it got a real nasty scratch across the blade about a 1/2 in. up from the tip the first week that I got it,must have been a staple in one of those cardboard box's,but with that scare I know its mine now.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%