Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Dremel (or clone ) Owners Club

Pacu · 296 · 48267

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: The Dremel (or clone ) Owners Club
Reply #240 on: January 10, 2017, 04:48:47 PM
As soon as I read "you can get them online" my brain screamed expensive. Although they could be an interesting gift for our sponsors as well
What, the wood or plastic? Yeah the wood ones are like $12-20 US but the plastic ones are like $1-8 depending where you order from.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #241 on: January 10, 2017, 08:27:23 PM
As soon as I read "you can get them online" my brain screamed expensive. Although they could be an interesting gift for our sponsors as well
What, the wood or plastic? Yeah the wood ones are like $12-20 US but the plastic ones are like $1-8 depending where you order from.
JR

Thanks. Still, We'd need about 250 of 'em, with the exchange rate... perhaps better to spend that cash on a few education seminars for new volunteers
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline eldorf.dragonsbane

Reply #242 on: January 17, 2017, 11:00:27 PM
My rotary tools have been basically been getting used for around the house jobs. I did pick up one of the Milescraft right angle attachments at Menards along with a 4pk of the RotoZip 1'8" shank multi purpose cutting bits (exact same ones as the Dremel multi purpose cutting bits, and I do mean exact same ones as both Dremel and RotoZip are owned by Bosch tools) which are cheaper to get then the individual Dremel Multi Purpose bits (about $3.50 for one vs. about $7.50 for 4). Whats Nice about the Right angle Attachment it came with 2 collet nuts with the square hole, one fits the Dremel 3000 the other fits my Harbor Freight Rotary Tools (the nut is designed to act ans a collet hold the squared end of the flex shafts and the right angle attachment without use of a collet). I will try to get pics but not at home at the moment and wont be home till late tonight.
~Doug T.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #243 on: January 17, 2017, 11:12:40 PM
My rotary tools have been basically been getting used for around the house jobs. I did pick up one of the Milescraft right angle attachments at Menards along with a 4pk of the RotoZip 1'8" shank multi purpose cutting bits (exact same ones as the Dremel multi purpose cutting bits, and I do mean exact same ones as both Dremel and RotoZip are owned by Bosch tools) which are cheaper to get then the individual Dremel Multi Purpose bits (about $3.50 for one vs. about $7.50 for 4). Whats Nice about the Right angle Attachment it came with 2 collet nuts with the square hole, one fits the Dremel 3000 the other fits my Harbor Freight Rotary Tools (the nut is designed to act ans a collet hold the squared end of the flex shafts and the right angle attachment without use of a collet). I will try to get pics but not at home at the moment and wont be home till late tonight.
Cool, I'll be waiting for a pic..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #244 on: August 05, 2018, 03:47:05 PM
anyone know what these blue/turquoise things do?
its called 'Bench Clamp for Rotary Tool' i thought it was a kinda lathe adaptor or something.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:58:50 PM by kingofswords »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #245 on: August 05, 2018, 05:31:58 PM
Just attaching a drill to a bench, so you can use it sturdy like a third hand. Like if you needed a bench grinder or wire wheel and had the attachment for a drill, just put it in the drill and attach it to the bench? That’s the only thing I see..
JR

fr Online Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #246 on: September 27, 2018, 04:01:35 PM
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #247 on: September 27, 2018, 04:18:24 PM
Very cool,
JR

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #248 on: October 20, 2018, 09:15:37 PM
I've had this Craftsman for over 20 years.  Pretty sure that it was made by Dremel.
Single speed, 30,000 rpm, great for using with cut off wheels, but too fast for buffing or wire brushes.
Dremel - 1 (1).jpg
* Dremel - 1 (1).jpg (Filesize: 140.27 KB)
Dremel - 1.jpg
* Dremel - 1.jpg (Filesize: 189.11 KB)
- Steve

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #249 on: January 22, 2019, 07:20:59 PM
Got a Dremel for Christmas, handy tool for all sorts.
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #250 on: January 22, 2019, 07:30:30 PM
Its a great tool.  As I'm sure you already know, please use the proper safety gear when operating.  I recently had a sanding drum burst and slap my hand.  Thankfully I was wearing gloves but I shudder to think if I wasn't.  Eye protection is a must no matter how small the job you are working on. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #251 on: January 22, 2019, 08:21:13 PM
 :iagree:  And watch out for those unreinforced cut off disks, they can fly apart pretty easily.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #252 on: January 22, 2019, 09:38:46 PM
Nice :tu:
JR

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #253 on: January 23, 2019, 01:49:17 AM
Its a great tool.  As I'm sure you already know, please use the proper safety gear when operating.  I recently had a sanding drum burst and slap my hand.  Thankfully I was wearing gloves but I shudder to think if I wasn't.  Eye protection is a must no matter how small the job you are working on.

I've had cutting disks break and have close calls. My rules with them are: A: always wear eye and face protection; B: only use reinforced disks. Also, wear a face mask or bandanna for dust protection. I really need to get myself a face shield for cutting and grinding.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #254 on: January 23, 2019, 02:12:49 AM
They really need to come out with something like this..
JR

fr Online Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #255 on: January 23, 2019, 11:52:16 AM
I actually think that's something you could probably just do with it's own motor... that would only burn out the dremel fast.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #256 on: January 23, 2019, 06:10:43 PM
Here’s something I got during a tag sale for I think $3, tag says 4, but that’s got a little more umph then a dremel, all I want is something big enough to turn pens, but everything is so expensive, I saw this too,
JR

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #257 on: January 28, 2019, 01:37:26 AM
Anyone have the metal pin that secures the shaft so you can open/tighten the Chuck,  break?
I was given an old Dremel that had been neglected in shed for a long time.
Motor didn't work and I could not loosen the Chuck.
Upon disassembly I found the " locking"  pin broken and hole it used to go into distorted.
Suspect the rust from neglect the primary reason.
New parts for this older model was just not worth it.

I got the motor to run finally, and was able get the Chuck open ( there was a rusted bit in it too)
Unless I wanted a dermel with only one tool in it,  the free dremel was a bust.

I have read reviews that reference this Chuck locking pin issue on Dremels ,and to be fair,  lesser expensive rotary tools.

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #258 on: January 28, 2019, 02:22:27 AM

We had one of these pins break on a dremel at work.  I suspect the lab tech of trying to run it with the pin depressed, but cannot prove it. 

On an earlier post, I was stationed in Italy in 1991, and one of the other guys was polishing with a wire wheel and using the 'squint' method of eye protection.  Needless to say, one of the little metal wires flew into his eye.  He went to sickbay, and they bandaged it up for the weekend.  When he went to Naples on Monday (the nearest Navy hospital) they examined it and said the steel had rusted away, and there was nothing to remove!  Please wear eye protection.

dc
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #259 on: January 28, 2019, 06:44:01 AM

We had one of these pins break on a dremel at work.  I suspect the lab tech of trying to run it with the pin depressed, but cannot prove it. 

On an earlier post, I was stationed in Italy in 1991, and one of the other guys was polishing with a wire wheel and using the 'squint' method of eye protection.  Needless to say, one of the little metal wires flew into his eye.  He went to sickbay, and they bandaged it up for the weekend.  When he went to Naples on Monday (the nearest Navy hospital) they examined it and said the steel had rusted away, and there was nothing to remove!  Please wear eye protection.

dc

:oops:  That is really scary story. 

Yes please please be careful when using these tools. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #260 on: January 28, 2019, 07:41:25 AM
Yeah that squirt safety isn’t the best, once I had a very special pair of glasses on and I was sitting on a tailgate, a neighbor was using a large ax/hammer and a wedge to spit a few logs, I took the glasses off to rub my eyes and look at something for a few sec, then I put them back on and all of a sudden WACK, I got hit upside the face, the guy who was spitting the wood struck down on the wedge and a small piece chipped off and it flew striking me right in the center of one of the lenses! Those glasses had special Rx lenses that could take a hit from a .22 bullet. I took them off as the guy came running, sure enough the glasses had a small chip/scratch in them dead center, so if it wasn’t for them my eye would have blown out!
JR

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #261 on: January 28, 2019, 12:05:52 PM
I have a Skill tool. Though the brushes of the motor ran out few months ago. The original ones were rare and EXPENSIVE, so I had to buy a knock-off. Since then its performance declined drastically :(

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #262 on: January 28, 2019, 04:18:28 PM

dc
[/quote

That's a good possibility for the broken locking pin and buggered shaft,  but my guess is that components were rusted together in the mess I dealt with.
To free the Chuck I really tortured the tool,  another reason why replacing damaged parts was not a good option.
In hindsight,  I may have broken the pin trying to free the damn Chuck!  I'll  never know as it was given to me in neglected condition.

The rotary tool is one of the most used in my shop. I would replace a broken one immediately if I couldn't  fix..
In a pinch you can get buy with a variable drill. ]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #263 on: February 23, 2019, 03:50:40 PM
Can I play too?

This is my Dremel 3000.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.

No, really, I mean it!  It's mine... well, one of mine.  It is probably the third Dremel branded motor tool I have owned, and is my most recent one.  I think I have had it about a year now?  I don't recall why I bought it, but I think it has something to do with needing one while I was in Ottawa and my other one was still in Halifax?   :think:  Maybe?

Whatever the reason, it is a nice little tool.  It isn't anything that special, not overly powerful or particularly special, but it si a Dremel and it gets the job done, and that's largely the bottom line, isn't it?

This is the other one I have- it's a Mastercraft model, which is the Canadian Tire in house brand similar to Sears' Craftsman brand.  Although often MUCH cheaper.  Mastercraft runs the entire gamut, from high quality tools down to the absolute cheapest crapola. 

I've been using this one for at least a decade and it has never failed me.  I use it almost exclusively with the flex shaft that came with it.

Especially now that I have the Dremel 300, I don't really see much reason to take the flex shaft off.  If I am doing something that doesn't need the flex shaft, I'll use the Dremel... although I can't think of too many times one would rather have a heavy tool in their hand?   :think:

This one is actually a bit more powerful than the Dremel 3000, but honestly I don't think I have ever would either of them up to the max, so it's not really that big of a deal to me.

This one is a bit odd in that the on/off switch is a rocker switch on the side, and the speed dial is on the end, rather than the all in one selector switch found on Dremel and other ones.  I believe this one seems to have been made specifically for use with the flex shaft, since this arrangement makes sense while the unit is hanging.

I've got a lot of miles on this one, and it just keeps going.  I have burned a few rotary tools out in my time, mostly from Dremel and Craftsman, and this one has lasted longer than just about any of them.  And, even better, I got it on sale!  :D  I don't recall how much of a sale, but I remember it was pretty good- so good that Whoey's little sister actually bought one at the same time.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #264 on: February 23, 2019, 08:10:30 PM
Nice!
JR

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #265 on: February 24, 2019, 03:40:51 PM
Nice!
JR

Thanks!

There's only one problem with Dremel type tools- no matter how many bits and attachments you have, you never had the right one, even if you just had the damned thing 5 minutes ago.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #266 on: February 24, 2019, 04:58:24 PM
Nice!
JR

Thanks!

There's only one problem with Dremel type tools- no matter how many bits and attachments you have, you never had the right one, even if you just had the damned thing 5 minutes ago.   :facepalm:

Def
True, can never have enough bits!
JR

au Offline Valkie

Reply #267 on: February 25, 2019, 04:53:40 AM
Hi Guys;

I have recently purchased a dremel (clone) and found some wonderful uses for it.

My daughter is involved in Cosplay, and I build her weapons out of wood.
Up until I got my dremel, I had all manner of difficulty in making some of the more complex toys.
But with this little tool I can make  ANYTHING.

This is a Skyhook I built recently, as you can see it has quite a few tricky bits.
but the dremel worked a treat.
bio 10.jpg
* bio 10.jpg (Filesize: 88.54 KB)
bio 11.jpg
* bio 11.jpg (Filesize: 143.5 KB)
bio 12.jpg
* bio 12.jpg (Filesize: 112.74 KB)
tools is what defines us as humans

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #268 on: February 25, 2019, 11:25:06 AM
Very nice work!  :tu:

I am a huge supporter of cosplay, although I don't do it myself.  No one wants to see a fat, middle aged Batman.   :facepalm:

Def

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #269 on: February 25, 2019, 11:55:40 AM
Hi Guys;

I have recently purchased a dremel (clone) and found some wonderful uses for it.

My daughter is involved in Cosplay, and I build her weapons out of wood.
Up until I got my dremel, I had all manner of difficulty in making some of the more complex toys.
But with this little tool I can make  ANYTHING.

This is a Skyhook I built recently, as you can see it has quite a few tricky bits.
but the dremel worked a treat.

That is super awesome!

That’s the hook from Bioshock: Infinite, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00