Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Restore or not restore an old knife ?

ch Offline Mimifred

Restore or not restore an old knife ?
on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:18 PM
I recently bought an "old" elinox and the blade has some scratches.

What would you do with that. Polish it to make it look in better shape or leave it as it is...

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Restore or not restore an old knife ?
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:27:58 PM
Personally, I'd leave it. It gives the piece 'character'.

ch Offline Mimifred

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:34:15 PM
I know it is a personal choice and that I might have 50 answers "do it" and 50 "don't do it" but still... I'm curious.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:55:58 PM
To me it looks like the blade also lost some metal due to sharpening, enough to alter its shape. Personally I'd polish it, nothing to lose there (unless you want to keep it like this, for character or such - nothing wrong there).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:58:03 PM by Marius »

ch Offline Mimifred

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 12:35:32 AM
Here is a cleaner pic of the blade. Do you think the blade has been that altered ?

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:02:10 AM
I take it back  :) It looked to me that it lost some belly due to too much sharpening. But I got one of mine out and looked closely, the blade shape appears to be very close to original. Enjoy! (polished or not)  :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:06:03 AM by Marius »

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 01:32:10 AM
I've cleaned up light scratching on blades like that using very fine wet&dry by putting the paper on the desk, near the edge and laying the blade flat on it then pushing and pulling to slide the blade lengthways. Using light pressure on the blade with the fingers of the other hand. If you just use the one patch on the paper it wears out as you go and effectively gets finer. I usually start with 800 or 1000 grit and find that it fixes most light scratches. This won't leave the blade with a mirror polish but I find a light linear texture looks quite nice, especially on Alox knife blades.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:33:48 AM by PTRSAK »

ch Offline Mimifred

Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 05:26:39 PM
I take it back  :) It looked to me that it lost some belly due to too much sharpening. But I got one of mine out and looked closely, the blade shape appears to be very close to original. Enjoy! (polished or not)  :cheers:

I think it was due To the angle of the picture...

ch Offline Mimifred

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 05:41:09 PM
I've cleaned up light scratching on blades like that using very fine wet&dry by putting the paper on the desk, near the edge and laying the blade flat on it then pushing and pulling to slide the blade lengthways. Using light pressure on the blade with the fingers of the other hand. If you just use the one patch on the paper it wears out as you go and effectively gets finer. I usually start with 800 or 1000 grit and find that it fixes most light scratches....

I've tried in the past on another blade with 600 sand paper for cleaning scratches and then with 1000 for preparing before polishing.

Then polished with a dremel and polish paste and it worked pretty well... I'll try the same method on this one and see how it goes.

de Offline crackout

Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 05:53:32 PM
I had to sharpen one blade really thoroughly because it had a really deep dent in the edge.
As a result the blade lost some of its belly but I don't care. It needs to be sharp and smooth.
Scratches on the sides of the blade don't bother me as long as the performance is not compromised.
Say my name.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD