Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What if...?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What if...?
on: April 09, 2008, 12:58:54 AM
We've all seen cheapo tools that are fully outfitted the same number of options that the major manufacturers do, and we have seen the major manufacturers cranking out sub $40 minimalist tools to try and compete.  What I am wondering, is if you think that any manufacturer, brand name or no, could come out with a full featured tool or decent quality for $40 or less?

I think that any such tool would pretty well take the market by storm, and I'd welcome a tool along those lines.  What do you think?  Would you have faith in it, would you buy it, and do you think it's even possible?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline kent ct

Re: What if...?
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:30:34 AM

If any company could do it I think it would be Stanley. With their talent for innovation and if they thought the market was big enough I think they could do it easily. Just look at the quality and low price of their tools now.

Richard

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:47:38 AM
I think first we need to define "full feature" and what that means, at least to a general consensus.

What tools, implements make it "full?" Serrated main blade, or Plain edge and how many blades/size, scissors or not, file or not, etc.

If a majority of us can figure that out, A weight and size zone, and with it made with some decent quality, maybe it could done, somewhere.
I'm game  ;)

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 01:52:09 AM
I think I might be just a bit skeptical about any tool taking the market by storm... MTs seem like a market that will always be driven by variety rather than uniformity- no matter how well priced or designed. :-\

Just my 1/50th of a $...  :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:55:51 AM
When I say "Full Feature" I mean all of the more common tools- a couple of screwdrivers, a wood saw, scissors, cap lifter, bottle opener, plain and/or serrated blades... the usual.  I am thinking something similar to the Fuse, Blast, PowerPlier, PST II.  In short, a full sized tool with all the features you would expect from an average multitool.

As for taking the market by storm, isn;t that kind of what the Skeletool is doing now, and what the Spirit did a few years ago? :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline bobofish

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:13:51 AM
I don't think so, unless the manufacturer invests a lot in automation or cheaper labor. Huge investment in efficiency wouldn't even be feasible because of the small economy of scale in the multitool market, and cheap labor usually means cheap quality.

I think a lot of people don't understand the true level of inflation we've had over the last 20 years. One of the reasons the 99cent burgers at Wendy's and McDonald's are made of such dubious stuffs is that to keep the pricepoint over the years they've had to cut costs anywhere and everywhere, including real cows.

I'm actually surprised how LITTLE the big makers like Leatherman and Victorinox charge for their tools.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 02:40:03 AM

As for taking the market by storm, isn;t that kind of what the Skeletool is doing now, and what the Spirit did a few years ago? :D

Def

Doubt they are. Local store finally got CX in stock, handled it, not impressed, not for $70 anyway.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 02:44:17 AM
Maybe not to you, but everywhere you go, people are talking about it, at least on tool and knife sites.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 03:51:14 AM
That's because it's the newest on the block, how many are actually buying it thou? I was at le baron comparing skeletool, powerlock and spirit, liked spirit the most.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 04:01:27 AM
I would think Defender has seen a few MTs come and go, personally I'd believe him if he says their hot.
Besides, theirs a movie called Defender, I think we could live with a MT with the same name;

The "Schrade Defender!" :pok:

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 04:06:08 AM
Local store finally got CX in stock, handled it, not impressed, not for $70 anyway.
I've come to really like the Skeletool. What didn't impress about the CX, jzmtl
"

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 04:08:38 AM

Def
I think I see what you're saying. :) Over the long haul I think both of those tools will (have) found their place in the market rather than taking over the maket (which is what I would have equated with taking the market by storm), but they certainly did jump in fast and leave a mark. I think I just mistook what you were saying a bit. :P

So I would say "yes". If someone made full quality a tool for <$40 it could do very well.  :)

OTOH, it would take good engineering, design, marketing, and production, to make it happen, and to do all that for much less than $40 might be quite a challange, though it might be a challange worth taking on.

Another thought I had was that to really compete with the nameless cheapos at their own game might be a losing situation, because even if LM (or whoever) worked hard and came out with a $18 quality tool, there would still be a lot of people who would by the El Cheapo 3-pack with a big tool, little tool, and knife for $15. ::)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:11:10 AM by NeitherExtreme »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 04:19:32 AM
I've come to really like the Skeletool. What didn't impress about the CX, jzmtl
It's a nice lightweight tool, but I don't think it worth $70. There are a couple of nitpicking points, like plier is small consider the size of the tool is same as wave, serration on blade is cut way too big for blade size, shape of handle isn't really comfortable for plier using etc.

It's still a good tool, but I suppose it didn't live up to its hype and long wait.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 04:36:38 AM
serration on blade is cut way too big for blade size
From the pictures of the CX that I've seen I have to agree with you there. I'll have to wait and handle one the see how well they work.
"

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 06:05:02 AM
I have ssen the blast close to 40 and it has just about everything. I think it is pretty close. I remember when the supertool sold for forty. at that time everybody i knew in the trades wore a super tool. I just bougth both the skelly tools. they are hot and the CX is still a little hard to find.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 06:48:29 AM
To me the ideal tool that could be made for around $40 wood be the pulse frame,super tool lock,kick head,make the top of the file into a large screwdriver,and change the large screwdriver to a awl.
That would be a good grip,all locking tools,with a good assortment,and a good size for EDC. Just my idea for the all around tool that could be made for a good price.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 08:56:19 AM
I can't see any reason why I quality MT could be made for $40 you can get a lot of decent multi layer Saks for that, and the Gerber MP series aren't much more than $40 :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 04:54:16 PM
What I am wondering, is if you think that any manufacturer, brand name or no, could come out with a full featured tool or decent quality for $40 or less?
Looking at ebay, it looks like you can get both the LM Fuse and Blast for near 40 bucks. The Fuse is lower to mid 30's and the Blast is right at 40. Sure they don't have one handed opening knives but both of them have decent tools. The Blast has all the tools you specified except a serrated blade.
a couple of screwdrivers, a wood saw, scissors, cap lifter, bottle opener, plain and/or serrated blades...

I definitely wouldn't classify it as a "minimalist tool". If I was looking for a good tool for 40 bucks or less I'd definitely look at this. But IIRC someone said that the Wave is Leatherman's best selling tool. It looks like the market has decided that 60-80 bucks is what most people are willing to spend. Of course that's in the price range that some of our most popular tools are in too. The Spirit, the Wave, the Surge, etc etc.

I love for Vic to come out with a more minimalist tool under 50 bucks. Something thinner and lighter than the present Spirit. Maybe a 3 layered thing.

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 08:04:02 PM
I think all the big companys could easily nock out decent sub $40 full feature tools but would they want too . If everyone bought them then they wouldnt be selling  Skeletools/ Freehands and Spirits etc. They could shoot themselves in the foot .

Dunc

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 08:44:22 PM
I think they could IF they stopped investing money in their cheap lines. That would save money on payroll, design, manufacturing, shipping, packaging, advertising, returns, etc. I mean, I am sure they sell tons of crappy, cheap multi's that hardly get used and consequently returned. Or, they do get used and break, but were so cheap it wasn't worth the persons time to return it. It's obviously worth making cheap, break in your hand, hope-you-dont-really-need-to-use-it multi's, which is too bad.

But yes, they could do a quality, full featured, sub $40.00 multi IF they wanted to.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 05:30:12 PM
Like Dunc has already said, I am sure the "big" companies could knock out a $40 fully loaded tool, but with guys like us happily paying double that, why would they bother ???
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 06:25:00 AM
With inflation what it is now it would be hard for them to make money on a 40 dollar MT especially since they are use to making twice that on most of there tools.  Think to yourself what you make in a weeks work on your check.  Now cut that in half and try to pay bills.  I think alot of the companies that are selling MTs would be out of business or have to move over seas.  which has happened alot in last few years with other companies. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%