Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Holy Grail"

Offline ozarkcajun

"Holy Grail"
on: February 02, 2013, 03:59:41 PM
I have several Good Gerbers, but no leatherman's so far.  I have no actual need for a Supertool 300 EOD, or a MUT, or any of the specialized Military tools,  but, hey, that has never stopped me from buying stuff before!! I think like a lot of us here, I'm fascinated with the idea of finding a knock off multi tool that is as good as the "big hitters", but costs way less. I just can't justify spending over $50 for a multi-tool. Okay, so I'm cheap. I "lurk" on Ebay watching for something that might have been missed by others due to bad description, or lousy picture.  I've really enjoyed reading about  the "finds" that have  been posted about the "other" multi-tools and know the "prize" is out there, so the search goes on. "neat, but not steep multi tools" are my quest :climber: :climber:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Re: "Holy Grail"
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 07:57:53 AM
Another good tactic is to look at multiple item auctions. I bought a lot of 10 assorted pocket knives just for one of them (a 1950's "long awl" red Alox Pioneer).
So far I have sold two of the other knives and regained 2/3 of my outlay.
I've given one away and might keep another one of them.

If I can get another $20 from the 5 that are left I will be in profit.  :tu: :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:01:18 AM
There are lots of good name brand tools available under $50- Wingman, Sidekick, Kick, Blast, Fuse, Bear Jaws, Zilla, Guppie, Zilla Jr, Lil Guppie, Cicada, XTract (only mentioned because someone will start throwing rocks at me if I don't!  :P), any number of SAKs, Para Edge, PowerLock (if you hunt a little), MP400, Octane... the list goes on and on.  But, those are more "inexpensive" tools rather than "cheapo" tools when you think about it.  I tend to think of cheapos as the no name Home Depot or Wal Mart type specials found on an end cap of a big box store, often packaged with a terrible flashlight, cheap lighter and/or an ugly keychain bottle opener.

If the manufacturer in China (or Pakistan, or Mexico, or Korea etc) is too ashamed to put their name on it, then it's a real cheapo!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline wndrstrck

• Leatherman, GEC, SOG, Parker
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:41:37 AM
My favorite multi tool Ebay seller currently has a Juice Xe6 clone I have heard good things about. Not my cup of tea, but if we all drank the same thing some of us would be bound to go thirsty ;)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
"To be prepared is half the victory" Miguel de Cervantes

Offline snowbound

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:33:48 AM

One place I keep meaning to check out is the state surplus store that sells off the items confiscated through various federal agencies. I'd imagine you'd find quite the pile of cheap clones and originals.. that may be an outing I take on Friday morning up here in NH. If I manage to get there I'll certainly post a report. :)

Meanwhile there is likely something similar in most other states, or within a day trip distance. If you google "state surplus tsa" you'll find a number of them, as well as background info like the Wall St Journal blog on the various processes that go into the feeding reclaimed item clearance houses.

ca Offline wndrstrck

• Leatherman, GEC, SOG, Parker
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:44:26 AM
A number of Ebay sellers also sell TSA confiscated items. That is how I aquired my new kf4 :))

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

"To be prepared is half the victory" Miguel de Cervantes

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:29:46 AM
Here is a US state by state listing of places to check for TSA and/or surplus property.

http://www.eyeflare.com/article/where-buy-goods-confiscated-tsa/

Offline snowbound

Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:05:42 PM
This Wednesday I paid a quick visit to the one near me in NH, just to check it out.

You could tell they get a lot of knife/tool folks coming through...right up in the front they had a display case of recognizable brand name tools that were in good condition (some appeared new, and were in sheaths). Prices ranged from a low of $7 for some Style CS's to a high of $35 for a Gerber I couldn't place a name to (my Gerber-tool-fu is severely limited, and the price sticker was right over the spot I'm guessing had more identifiers).

Off to the side of that they had cardboard shoe boxes of Gerber Suspensions, Leatherman Micras, and other small tools that seemed like they got loads of... but also seemed like they'd been put through a tumbler after receipt. But at $5-ish each the Mod folks could have a field day with spare parts.

Further off to the side were three large boxes of "Assorted". According to two other guys there, the boxes had been heavily picked through earlier that day, but there were still _hundreds_ of cheap multi knockoffs, folders, and other things ranging in price from $1 to $3. Like the Suspensions and Micras, some of these looked like they'd been run over with a truck prior to delivery, but quite a few weren't bad.

There were also a few discontinued Leathermans like Fuses and Kicks, so good for people looking to fix an old model, or who are really hunting for something and not too particular about the condition it's in.

I may be going back again in a week or two - if anyone does have a specific item you're hunting for let me know and I'm happy to check for it while I'm there.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 12:32:54 AM
You can actually find brand new really high end MTs on sale on the net if you're patient. I got both a SOG Powerlock and Victorinox Spirit X at about $45 apiece. You just have to be patient.

These boards' trade section can be a good place to get decent used tools, which is another great way to save money on tools.

The EDCSource site (linked on the upper right of the page from this site) has some great deals, and particularly used SAKs on Felinevet's store. I've purchased a number of those. Great quality for less than new prices.

I am also constantly on the look-out for clearance items at big-box stores. Just after Christmas, through January is the best season for hunting those bargains.

You might also consider yard sales. Every now and then, you might get lucky, and find a really nice tool cheap.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%