Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2 Heavy Weight Contenders.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
2 Heavy Weight Contenders.
on: March 25, 2013, 03:37:05 AM
Here are two tool kits that believe that everything and the kitchen sink is a good concept to follow. Both of these multi-tool kits claim to be a complete tool kit that you can carry on your belt. The main issue with this concept however, is one of portability. Both kits suffer from weight and size issues. In fact, I find it mildly amusing that they include belt loops.

Just be sure to tighten your belt before strapping on one of these bad boys.

The Great Escape tool kit, and the Pocket Tool Box.

The Great Escape Tool Kit is a neat and interesting concept. It contains two multi-tools, a smaller plier based tool that fits in its own pouch as seen bellow, and a much larger wrench based multi in its own pocket inside the sheath.

The whole sheath opens wide via Velcro. The various driver bits are nestled in two rows. On the opposite flap, you have two driver adapters, and some bailing wire and zip ties. With this design, you run the risk of losing a strip of driver bits from gravity...if you are brave enough to carry this monstrosity on your belt.

You do get a nice assortment of driver bits. Note that they are in little rubber carriers by family type. All in all, it does work well if you view this as a mini car repair kit.

The wrench multi is a heavy duty beast. It contrast from the light and cheaper feeling mini plier tool that is also included. The big advantage here, you have two tools to tighten nuts and bolts.

Pocket Tool Box.

This kit has a fully zippered sheath. In contrast to the Great Escape, this one comes with a single multi-tool. Oddly enough, the multi-tool feels like a Leatherman Super Tool in size, weight, and feel.

This kit also comes with a great assortment of driver bits, and a small assortment of sockets. The driver bits are stored in clear vinyl pouches that are open at each end to allow you to difficultly slide  the rubber driver holder and  bits in. This is a bit of a pain, but will ensure you won't lose any...that is until you rip these pouches open from use. I can see that as a weakness of this system.

The multi-tool found in the Pocket Tool Box is ok I guess. Nothing of great quality here. It will do the job...but with no style. Got to love that fish scaler though on a tool calling itself the Pocket Tool Box.

Either way, both kits are too large for belt carry. The concept is the same, but with different nuances. If you like the notion of having a small portable took kit for your vehicle, boat, etc...you can't go far wrong. These might be hard to find though, as I don't think the concept go much off the ground. Both definitely belong to the cheap and cheerful category at that.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: 2 Heavy Weight Contenders.
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:40:58 PM
The kits are definitely contenders in the more-is-better implementation.  Cool kits, Chako. :cheers:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:54 PM
Are the fold-out pliers on the adjustable wrench tool any good?

The tool in the second kit looks like a step up from the bottom-end cheapo MT.

Those are some interesting kits.

Offline ozarkcajun

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:16:35 PM
Darn........these almost look too good to be in this section :sak:

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:14:31 PM

Pocket Tool Box.
(Image removed from quote.)

I've owned several of the Pocket Tool Boxes.  If I remember correctly they carried them at Autozone for super cheap.  Something like $20 for the tool, pouch and accessories.  I bought several and don't remember what came of them.  I do remember that the actual multitool was well built, an excellent Supertool copy if you will.  I also remember that they had no locktite on the pivots and they all loosened on me and I had to put loctite on them.  I loved them.  I gave several away as gifts and used a couple until they either fell apart or were lost.
:)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:00:54 AM
Some Asian manufacturer I would guess..
Lynn LeFey, they operate much like that of the larger Wenger knives...only this is not as well made but works very well. I believe these to be beefier than the Wenger design.

ozarkcajun, they were cheap enough when bought...and they definitely fit the cheerful as well. :)

Crouton...I think both of these kits are hard to find items these days.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 01:15:55 AM

Crouton...I think both of these kits are hard to find items these days.

I believe you're right.  I forgot to mention it was at least 10 years ago when I had them.  I'd love to have one again for old times sake.
:)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 01:01:47 PM
I was wondering how long it would take before you discovered this new forum Dan!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 02:44:29 AM
It took a while.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86