Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Explorer & Magnifier Question

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Explorer & Magnifier Question
on: March 23, 2013, 10:40:00 AM
  Is $25 a good price on a fairly decent Explorer?

And what are the differences between the newer & older magnifiers?
side1.JPG
* side1.JPG (Filesize: 180.32 KB)
side2.JPG
* side2.JPG (Filesize: 139.02 KB)
side3.JPG
* side3.JPG (Filesize: 155.74 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Explorer & Magnifier Question
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:45:48 AM
a. I think you can get a new one for that much

b. The newer one has less magnification

from SAKWIKI:
In 2007 the Magnifier was changed to a new model in a transparent plastic housing with a plastic lens and a magnification of 5x. The 2007 magnifier has a slightly lower level of magnification, and a slightly wider area of view due to the slimmer housing and lower magnification.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Magnifying+Glass

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:32:06 AM
  a)  Seen a few new explorers with the new lens for $35~ish.

b) The newer is good for reading, the older for solar ignition? Or both bad as a last resort solar ignition system?

Was looking for a cheap knife for liners, both outer sides, to give me a guide for making wooden scales & hole alignment. That's when I ran across a TSA seizure offering, $25 + free shipping.

Thanks DKS.   :tu:
¬ Outback in Idaho

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 12:00:54 PM
If you intend to use it, not break it up then you can get a new one with free shipping for only $4 more.
Personally i would pay the extra $4 and get a new one.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Explorer-Multi-Tool-Knife/dp/B00004YVAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364036207&sr=8-1&keywords=victorinox+explorer

List Price: $56.00
Price: $29.10 & FREE Shipping.

I have not used any lenses to start a fire (for a few decades) but I am sure some members here are experts in that method.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:50:52 PM
Getting an ignition with the magnifier on a SAK is not very easy. I personally have tried on a few different occasions with no luck and that was with the old style mag glass. I am not saying it is impossible, but the conditions must be right with a bit of time holding in the exact same place. It just does not have the magnification or size to heat up very much. If its 90+ Degrees out you might have a chance. Please remember to use sun glasses when you start a fire with magnification. Staring at the spot of ignition can do damage to your eyes. With all that said the Explorer is a awesome knife so I say get one.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 05:58:08 PM
Here are videos of both the Old and New style Mag Glass.

I'm the milk man!

gb Offline GuyWood

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 06:17:49 PM
I think the Explorer goes for about £35 over here - definitely going to be my next SAK  :). Unless I get a deluxe Tinker first  :D.
- Or was I too preoccupied with other thoughts, like: if toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:26 PM
I think the Explorer goes for about £35 over here - definitely going to be my next SAK  :). Unless I get a deluxe Tinker first  :D.

The Deluxe Tinker is sweeeet.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 10:37:58 PM
The videos are useful in showing than one does not just start up a fire with the magnifier.
Kind of like the results reported in The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual:
"Magnifying lens - Starting a fire: § Focus the sun’s rays to a small point on a piece of paper, like your topo map or a dollar bill from your wallet (try not to look at the light-dot once it is focused: it can leave a blank spot in your vision for a while); when the spot starts to smoke blow softly on it and keep it burning with the lens; when the paper starts into flame transfer the flame to tinder. Don’t wait until your hands are freezing and shaking and the sun is going down before trying this -- practice any emergency fire-starting technique in the comfort of home before you ever go hiking. If you think it’s easy, you haven’t tried it.
This is one of those things which sounds good in words -- “Theory is all very fine…”. It looked easy enough when the gal on Survivor started a fire with eyeglasses (she must’ve read Lord of the Flies) and a drop of water. You might just as well try the 9-volt battery and steel wool method. Better by far to carry a butane lighter, ½ oz. and good for dozens of fires. Survivalists say you must have charred cloth or “tinder fungus” to catch fire; good tinder is key for fire-starting. A reader who figures out a reliable method to use the SAK lens and backpacking availables to start a fire will get a free copy of the next edition of this book."
Is that a piece of "tinder fungus" in the Greek video?
Nice grass.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:15:39 PM by J Mackrel Jones »
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 12:37:29 AM

Have a look on Amazon,currant model Explorers going for about £25,and there's a BSA Yeoman/Explorer with Plus scales for £33 :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 12:42:45 AM
  Don't know why no one uses the corkscrew or awl to plug into a stick or something sem-solid to hold the focal point of sun beam, through the magnifier. Guess some like to do it the manly way. Be like trying to us a microscope freehand. :ahhh

Seems the older style had better luck, though it was in the hands of someone skilled & practiced in doing it.

Thanks fellas!  :tu: 
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 02:45:00 AM
If you are in the market for an Explorer, do what the cool cats do and get an Explorer Plus.  It adds a pen and pin, and the chicks dig it.

I agree with The Captain that its not easy to get a fire going with the magnifier.  I've never been able to do it.  But I've also never been motivated to keep trying until I succeed either.

Explorer Plus.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 03:04:20 AM
The Explorer is probably one of the best SAKs next to the Yeoman imho;). Here's mine.  Not a Plus model unfortunately, but I borrow the fine screwdriver and pin from my Compact:D

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2
uploadfromtaptalk1364090548253.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1364090548253.jpg (Filesize: 80.13 KB)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:08:24 AM by Monrogue »
K-Tibbs

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 03:32:26 AM
  Would of probably gotten the Explorer as first SAK if not for that Phillips driver. That thing turns me off for some reason. Would of rather had a nail cleaner or something else there. Is why I went with the Climber.

God I am really missing my S557.  :ahhh
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%