Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A real pain in the neck

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
A real pain in the neck
on: March 27, 2013, 01:27:22 AM
I've had this minor problem for years and to be honest, I'm not sure what it is.  It was always easily fixed before, so I never really cared what it was...

When I would yawn or blow my nose occasionally I'd get something in my neck pop out of place.  It was painful if I swallowed, but I could always prod it back into place with my fingers and it was good as new.  This has been happening since at least high school.  I went to a doctor once about it but as it wasn't popped out at the time they couldn't diagnose the problem, and I was told if it happened again, not to fix it and come back.  Well, it's quite painful when I don't pop it back into place, and since it was so easily corrected I never bothered.

Yesterday however the thing, whatever it is popped out again and I was unable to pop it back in.  This happened around lunch yesterday, and after work (around 8pm last night) I decided to stop in at the Emergency Room on my way home.  Typical me, I couldn't find a good parking space at the ER so I said to heck with it and went home.   :whistle:

It was a rough, painful night last night as whatever it is gets pinched between my throat and whatever else every time I swallow.  My wife made an appointment for me to see our family doctor this afternoon and I went, but he couldn't find anything either, so he made an urgent appointment with a speSmurfpillst for me tomorrow morning.

In the meantime the whole front of my neck now feels like it's bruised and I still get a huge shock of pain every time I swallow... and you'd be amazed how many times in a day you swallow!   :ahhh

Whatever it is also seems to be putting pressure on my voicebox as it's getting difficult to speak and I sound like I have a really bad sore throat.  Other than being tired, the dull bruise type pain whenever something touches my neck and the sudden pain when I swallow I feel fine.

I guess I couldn't expect a machine with as many moving parts as the human body to work flawlessly forever huh?   :facepalm:

Maybe its time to go in for a warranty check!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Re: A real pain in the neck
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:59:37 AM
Hope you feel better soon Def.

Ash's mobile on the move.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 02:06:54 AM
I hope the problem isn't serious and that you feel better quickly. At least if you if you need surgery you can do a tool review on what they used. All joking aside, I hope you feel better.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 02:13:42 AM
It sounds like an issue with the Hyoid bone, and/or Thyroid cartilage, particularly if you're feeling something going on with your vocal cords.

They're probably going to jam it back into place, give you OTC pain killer, and wrap it (REALLY TIGHT) in bandages. As your face turns purple, they'll ease off the pressure... one hopes.

In all seriousness, I hope it's nothing major, and that you feel better.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 02:18:19 AM
yikes... hope it's not serious this time either
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:35:41 AM
Who's close enough to make sure Def goes to the doctor? It's either that, or we fix it... with multis... and SAKs... and duct tape.... and that would be bad.

I like Lynn's theories. They are happy ones. Since it's been around a while, if it was a tumor it would have probably eatten your head by now.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 05:26:46 AM
Sounds like a good diet aid if it hurts to swallow.  ;)

Hope it is not serious and you have speedy recovery.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 05:59:40 AM
Since it's been around a while, if it was a tumor it would have probably eatten your head by now.
IT'S NOT A TUMOR!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 06:17:45 AM
Sorry to hear about this, Grant.  I hope it is nothing serious and any recovery is speedy.  You're in my prayers :salute:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 06:18:25 AM
Sounds like Lynn is closest on this one.  Get well soon Boss!   :tu:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 10:33:14 AM

Maybe its time to go in for a warranty check!   :ahhh

Def

Careful Boss,they don't repair old models,they send out new up to date ones as replacements...Hang on,your wife does know this???

Seriously,holding thumbs for you here
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 10:42:21 AM
keep us all informed of your swift recovery boss man.
(and if the wife is showing concern, 'milk it' for every bit of sympathy you can get  :whistle:)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 11:11:19 AM
It sounds like an issue with the Hyoid bone, and/or Thyroid cartilage, particularly if you're feeling something going on with your vocal cords.

They're probably going to jam it back into place, give you OTC pain killer, and wrap it (REALLY TIGHT) in bandages. As your face turns purple, they'll ease off the pressure... one hopes.

In all seriousness, I hope it's nothing major, and that you feel better.

Those are a lot of the same things the doctor was saying.  Frankly I'm not too worried, although I would be a lot happier if they would just fix it.  If they suggest surgery I'm ready to go for that.  I'm one of those odd patients where if they suggest cutting me open to have a look I'm willing to lay down on the desk and tell them to go for it.  Hell, they had to learn something at Med school, right?

As I said its painful but not too serious, so please, save the prayers for folks that have real problems!  I'm heading into work shortly to do a few things, then I'll be off to see the speSmurfpillst and I'll report back when/if anything gets accomplished there.

Oh, and on a vaguely political note, those who have heard people wait forever with socialized medicine... well less than 48 hours after my not serious problem started I'm in to see a speSmurfpillst.  I'd be further along if there had been better parking at the ER!  :D

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 11:34:22 AM
Good luck with the appointment Def!
I hope they can just prod it back into place and send you home :-)

Sent from my StoneTablet using Chiseltalk II

Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 11:36:50 AM
Good to hear you're finally doing something about it mate  :tu: The best way of not getting it fixed is not getting it looked at as you've discovered, so anything else is a step in the right direction. Good luck with it feller  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline JRB65

• Dutchman by birth, living in Norway by choice...
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 11:40:57 AM
Good luck!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 01:02:12 PM
regarding how long you wait to 'see' a Doctor/speSmurfpillst, here in the UK our system works on the lines of "if the patient waits long enough, he/she will either get better or die before seeing someone. which save a lot of money in the long run!"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 01:28:19 PM
There's been a slight problem today.  My family doctor called last night and told me I have an appointment at 11:10 today but I got a call from the speSmurfpillst this morning saying that my appointment was at 1:40 so I'll have to wait an extra couple of hours. I suppose after 20 years of waiting what's another couple of hours?

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 01:49:00 PM
Hope it's nothing, Mr. Lamontagne and that you recover soon. "Sitherenios" as we say here (means made of iron). Please let us know what the doc said.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 01:58:14 PM
I forgot to mention the funny part- I've all but lost my voice and when I called my doctor to confirm the appointment I found that they have a new voice recognition system for sorting phone calls.  Needless to say the bloody thing was pretty well worthless to me!   :ahhh

Def

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 03:08:28 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun, and the sort of thing I love with a lot as my joints are prone to all such nonsense ::)

Hyoid bone a definite possibility, more so that it's attached only by tendons and muscles and any one of those could be damaged, prone to over tightening, or in spasm for neurological reasons. It's one of the most complex and tightly packed anatomical regions of the human body, which makes it very interesting but often tricky to diagnose and treat.

My current training (teacher training for the Alexander Technique) would dictate that you can change some of it in the absence of illness/disease, but that would probably be very limited if there's a physical explanation beyond your control. The bit you can do is learn to react differently, such as not tightening muscles up as a result of pain etc. So much that we do is almost unconscious, it takes a lot of practise to become aware of and able to interfere with these reactions. Anyway, that's just another school though....

Looking forward to hearing what they make of you :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 03:21:26 PM
factory recall  :P :pok:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 03:26:02 PM
Well I'm sure Kim won't mind a newer model!

This is like some minor flaw, like the cigarette lighter in a car that pops out with a bit too much force. Not enough to worry about, and a small detail in an otherwise decent car.  Then one day when no one is looking it pops all the way out and starts a fire.

Of course I am certain those around me are appreciating the silence!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 07:07:29 PM
The speSmurfpillst can't find anything out of place but did find the results of a few things out of place, so he prescribed a bunch of pills (I hate pills) for me to take and scheduled me for a CAT scan.  If nothing is sorted by then we may have the fun of surgery.

I told him to cut me open now and let's get this smurf over with, but he said no...

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 08:01:45 PM
at least something is happening Grant, don't just ignor your body when it says it wants mending. hope the pills make some improvements and you feel better ASAP

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 12:04:23 AM
Cutting you open should be a last resort ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:59 AM
You can't check the oil if you don't open the hood. I'm not thrilled with the idea of surgery but I'd prefer it to this mess dragging on.

Def

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 12:14:56 AM
I totally understand that feeling, but cutting often does more harm than good :-\

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 12:22:44 AM
Yeah I know. They had to sever some important things in my foot to bolt the bone back together.  Even so, if they can't find the problem then let's have a closer look.  I need a solution, not tests and bull smurf.

Def

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 12:44:51 AM
I have had X4 lots of surgery on my throat & mouth to fix a problem & they did not work  :ahhh :ahhh. I avoid surgery if I can now days & that is coming from some one who works in a operating theatre  :think: :think:.

Def I hope they sort you out , sounds painful & very inconvenient.

factory recall  :P :pok:

I bet Def had a 25yr warranty  :think: :P :D :D 

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68