Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New TSA rules- which SAKS are allowed?

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
New TSA rules- which SAKS are allowed?
on: March 29, 2013, 03:50:03 AM
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: New TSA rules- which SAKS are allowed?
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 03:54:22 AM
The 58mm line.

The small blades on the 91mm would also fit, but not the large blade on 93s, 91s, 85s, or 84s.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:57:26 AM
Would the executive line be ok?

Offline jrp316

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:00:18 AM
It makes you wonder though...where did the 2.36" figure come from? How did they arrive at 2.36" as being "safe for air travel"?

"Sorry sir, your knife blade measures at 2.45"...I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate this item."

I bet more than a few people are pretty cheesed at even allowing the 58mm knives since a good number of people were making bank selling 'confiscated' knives.

The 74mm line should be fine; IIRC, their blades are 2" in length.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 04:08:40 AM
I don't have an Executive, so I can't say for certain, but keep in mind, the TSA ruling on blade length is to the body of the tool, not the cutting edge of the blade. I don't know what the length of the blade is on the Executive measured that way.

And the length is, if I remember right, 6cm, converted to english units, which is why it's an odd number.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 04:30:18 AM
The blog post has interesting photos too.

Cheers

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 05:15:22 AM
The locking blade thing just drives me crazy :rant: Don't people know that a locking blade is safer ??? When I was in the Army we weren't "allowed" to carry locking blades but everyone did anyway.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 05:19:44 AM
Based on the pictures in the blog, it seems that a larger SAK could be used if the tip is cut off. 

Rather interesting!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 05:24:58 AM
Stealth ...That's right, because in the armed services, they don't want you to , you know... hurt someone.  :rofl:

In Air Force basic training, we weren't allowed to carry those big D-cell maglights. We had to carry those cheap-smurf plastic ones, because... you guessed it, the D-Cell ones were deemed dangerous.
 :facepalm:

I think the point of restricting blade lock is to make the tool less useful for thrusting. That's the only thing I could ever figure.

papercut. Don't go by the pic. I don't know what POS crappy SAK knockoff they used for the pic, but certainly the larger style SAKs, Wenger Evos and up, all have large blades too big to work. I asked in another thread about possible mods that would use larger knives but only the small blades. Somewhere...

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 06:32:19 AM
Wenger VIP and Esquire look OK. The 74mm Victorinox line looks OK. The Victorinox 84mm Sentry single blade looks OK. The Victorinox Florist or Gardener knives are too big as is the regular 84mm SAK main blade and of course any other larger SAK.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 06:59:02 AM
Can someone with an exec measure the blade form tip to liner.  60mm is the cutoff, if the entire lenght is beyond 6 cm, it be too long. 

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 06:59:36 AM
I know this is about SAK's, but did they OK larger scissors? Can I bring a LM Style CS or Micra now?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline RoboYeti

Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 10:12:15 PM
Scissors have always been ok to bring on-board, as far as I know. I have flown with my Wenger Air Traveler several times, and it has scissors. I placed it on the x-ray machine conveyer belt with the tools open, so they could easily see it had no blade. I was prepared to be hassled, but nobody even mentioned it.

I just measured the main blade on my Executive as 5.5 cm from the tip to where it meets the knife. I only have a beat up old ruler, not a tape measure, so it may not be an exact measurement, but I don't see how it could possibly measure 6 cm.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 10:31:06 PM
I know this is about SAK's, but did they OK larger scissors? Can I bring a LM Style CS or Micra now?

The problem with the Micra, Style CS and Squirt series has been the knife blade. This should be a non-issue after 25 April :think:

Terry

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 02:01:44 AM
It makes you wonder though...where did the 2.36" figure come from? How did they arrive at 2.36" as being "safe for air travel"?

2.36 inch = 6 centimeters, which I believe is the allowed blade length in some other countries. I read somewhere that TSA was aligning their rules with certain international rules.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 10:50:10 PM
It seems to me that the only ones ok are 58mm and 74mm Vics (Classics, Executives, etc.) and the Wenger Esquires. Everything else exceeds the blade length (measure from base of tang, not cutting edge).
T

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 11:14:08 PM
I have a bunch of the small spearpoint blades from 91mm SAKs.  I was thinking of modding cadets and putting that blade in place of the main blade, for an TSA-A-OK alox model.  An electricians blade should fit as well I would think.

Or maybe a slim voyageur.  Combo/small blade and scissors.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 11:37:45 PM
Scissors have always been ok to bring on-board, as far as I know. I have flown with my Wenger Air Traveler several times, and it has scissors. I placed it on the x-ray machine conveyer belt with the tools open, so they could easily see it had no blade. I was prepared to be hassled, but nobody even mentioned it.

I just measured the main blade on my Executive as 5.5 cm from the tip to where it meets the knife. I only have a beat up old ruler, not a tape measure, so it may not be an exact measurement, but I don't see how it could possibly measure 6 cm.

Yes it is alright to bring some scissors on board as I fly with my Style PS, but as of now you cannot bring a Style CS onboard as the scissors are to big. I am wondering if the scissors on the CS will be under the blade length requirement thus making it alright to carry onboard. 
I'm the milk man!

Offline LL

Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 12:42:12 AM
In Korea here, it's limited to 5.5cm... Hmm... Wonder if my Victorinox manager can get through...
Has anybody here got a SwissChamp XLT confiscated??? ???

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 07:12:30 AM
In Korea here, it's limited to 5.5cm... Hmm... Wonder if my Victorinox manager can get through...
Has anybody here got a SwissChamp XLT confiscated??? ???

That would just suck :think:

Terry

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 05:31:05 PM
Can someone with an exec measure the blade form tip to liner.  60mm is the cutoff, if the entire lenght is beyond 6 cm, it be too long.
Using my SwissChamp fishscaler scale:  the Exec's blade is exactly 2 1/8" (2.125") from body of knife to tip of larger blade, just under 5/16" wide - less than the TSA's new standard of 2.36" (6 mm?) x .5".  Wenger's Patriot/watch-opener: just over 2 5/16" (2.3125") (about 5.7 mm) x 3/8".  Vic's Classic and Wenger's Esquire are of course considerably smaller than these. 
These are all too long: Wenger's standard blade at 2 9/16", Vic's 84 mm model blade at 2 1/2", Vic's standard blade at over 2 11/16".  The Cadet's even longer at 2 3/4". Victorinox's gardener series are 1/2" wide but over 2 1/2" long.  The small blade of Wenger and Vic Officer's models is OK.

Glad I can retire my Manager with the blade broken off as travel knife.  I wouldn't trust the TSA agent with a full-size SAK scissors tho - might hurt himself with it.

"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon -  only dangerous men."  Robert Heinlein
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:02:57 PM by J Mackrel Jones »
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 04:05:21 AM
Was this rule change ever made official?

Cheers

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict

sg Offline adobo

Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 09:34:55 AM
Here's the Executive

Using my SwissChamp fishscaler scale:  the Exec's blade is exactly 2 1/8" (2.125") from body of knife to tip of larger blade, just under 5/16" wide - less than the TSA's new standard of 2.36" (6 mm?) x .5".  Wenger's Patriot/watch-opener: just over 2 5/16" (2.3125") (about 5.7 mm) x 3/8".  Vic's Classic and Wenger's Esquire are of course considerably smaller than these. 
These are all too long: Wenger's standard blade at 2 9/16", Vic's 84 mm model blade at 2 1/2", Vic's standard blade at over 2 11/16".  The Cadet's even longer at 2 3/4". Victorinox's gardener series are 1/2" wide but over 2 1/2" long.  The small blade of Wenger and Vic Officer's models is OK.

Glad I can retire my Manager with the blade broken off as travel knife.  I wouldn't trust the TSA agent with a full-size SAK scissors tho - might hurt himself with it.

"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon -  only dangerous men."  Robert Heinlein
"The more it stays the same the less it changes"
-Spinal Tap

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 02:15:59 AM
Read this article

So if you are coming home from somewhere and you do not have to go through US security you can buy knives and bring them back?

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 03:08:02 AM
Read this article
(Image removed from quote.)
So if you are coming home from somewhere and you do not have to go through US security you can buy knives and bring them back?

There are a lot of knives there with blades longer than 6cm, so apparently the Swiss aren't following the rules.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 09:43:02 AM
In a word - for US flights - NO. Knives of any length must be in checked luggage. The TSA chickened out
on allowing knives due to pressure from flight attendants, some congress folks, etc. A 2 inch knife is such a
deadly, letha weapon in the eyes of some idiots that the whole knives on planes plan was dropped by the TSA.

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 01:22:33 PM
Even if some are considered TSA compliant there is no guarantee that the agent you are dealing with will agree.  They have great discretionary powers with what qualifies and what doesn't.  Don't believe me?  Ask Chewbacca- he got held up this week while the TSA decided whether or not to confiscate the 7 foot, 70 year old man's decorative cane.  If a guy that has an obvious need for a cane is harassed, how are you and your potentially dangerous pocket knife going to be received?

Its tyrannical indeed, but there's no way to fight it at the airport.  Better to start writing letters to your congressmen about this than trying to take on a uniformed agent when your flight is waiting.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 03:37:56 AM
My Super Tool pin was nearly confiscated last week :rant:

Terry

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 04:15:46 AM
My Super Tool pin was nearly confiscated last week :rant:

Seriously? o.O  Because it is a pin, or because of the "knife?"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24