Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

It's the end of the world. Let's go FISHING!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
It's the end of the world. Let's go FISHING!
on: April 04, 2013, 05:56:44 AM
IT started with that crappy rambo survival knife everyone got in the 80s, but it continues to this very day... survival kits, and I'm talking 72 hour kits, that people build, and put fishing gear and snare crap in.

Right, so you've got to survive 72 hours in an emergency... and you decide FISHING is the best way to get food? I mean, I know it's a radical idea and all, but... why not JUST TAKE FOOD?!?!?! Stick in a stupid can of almonds, or a jar of peanut butter!

I know, I know... A very basic fishing kit doesn't weigh much and can extend the food you have with you and blah, blah, blah. Doesn't matter. Sick, sick to DEATH, of seeing people cramming fishing gear in survival kits. It's stupid. It's like people who stick a ferro rod in a survival kit before sticking in a lighter. Sure, ferro rods are great, as a backup to a lighter, which is only about 50 times easier to use.

I'm probably gonna get flac for this. Don't care. I'm SICK of fishing gear in 72-hour kits. And next up on 'Lynn Gripes'... Tactical Folders. :D

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: It's the end of the world. Let's go FISHING!
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 06:00:51 AM
I agree for a short term 72 hour kit, but fishing gear definitely goes in my wilderness survival kit.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:03:28 AM by Nhoj »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 06:10:24 AM
Right! In a Wilderness Survival Kit, and one meant for an indefinite term, fishing kits are a GREAT idea.

NOT in 72-hour kits.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 01:23:28 PM
People seem to get paranoid when it comes to "being prepared". I think there are many reasons for this however I'm not going to discuss them now. Call me ignorant but I don't really know what 72-hour kits are, though I think I get the picture. One thing about fishing gear is you can use it to "fish" birds as well :pok: . A rose-tree thorn makes a great hook for this job.
And next up on 'Lynn Gripes'... Tactical Folders. :D
Looking forward to that. Most "tactical" folders I see amuse me and I enjoy reading your posts, usually I agree with your view point and you're quite eloquent. :popcorn:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:32:17 PM
Another aspect is that people always seem to think they'll be in the woods when the SHTF. If I'm going out hiking or wild camping it's more likely to be on open moorlands. with the nearest tree in the middle distance, and the nearest thing to set alight to keep you warm will be your own fear induced farts if you haven't gone prepared.

Don't take shelter building equipment .... take a bloody shelter for the same weight penalty! Bushcrafting is a different kettle of fish, as is woodland camping .... but then it's not SURVIVAL.
Survival is when you are somewhere where there isn't all the resources around you, and something has gone wrong which scuppers everything. Maybe you have a broken branch in your thigh and are squirting red stuff everywhere, or maybe you have slipped and knocked your head and already woken up disoriented, cold and wet. Ready to start felling trees and building shelters are you? Don't think so!

If you have gone out prepared whilst hiking, then you might have an unplanned camping trip .... if you've not gone prepared and something goes badly wrong, then it's survival time

</rant>

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:40:47 PM
i love this thread, i could have written it all myself so far  :think:
please someone explain to me the importance of a ferro rod ??? i've only ever tried (with mixed results) to light fires with one in the comfort of my garden. not sure i'd fancy needing a fire cos i was wet and cold then doing it  :whistle:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 03:30:21 PM
In total agreement thus far :salute:

I think there's a lot of bandwagons being jumped on around this subject at the moment, and people may not have thought through any of the reality or have an in depth understand of what would really keep them alive. Being in a city, any fish I pull out of a local canal or park, will probably kill me anyway ::)

Ah well, it will be a sorting process.... I shall be in my warm sleeping bag with my jar of peanut butter! Hopefully this is not a taste which zombies will acquire :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:49:15 PM
i love this thread, i could have written it all myself so far  :think:
please someone explain to me the importance of a ferro rod ??? i've only ever tried (with mixed results) to light fires with one in the comfort of my garden. not sure i'd fancy needing a fire cos i was wet and cold then doing it  :whistle:

Clipper lighter for me, but I admit I do tend to have an Exotac Firestarter to hand if in the outdoors. One good things ferro rods ARE good for, is lighting Trangia stoves. A lot easier and safer than matches and lighters

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:55:03 PM

I'm probably gonna get flac for this. Don't care. I'm SICK of fishing gear in 72-hour kits. And next up on 'Lynn Gripes'... Tactical Folders. :D

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Goodie! I'm enjoying this!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 04:03:24 PM
Rambo - Self sewing
This is what the fishing kit is for!  :rofl:
Antonio

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 04:21:22 PM
don't start with the 'Rambo hate' !
if it wasn't for him i wouldn't be the man i am  :rant:
(nor would Bear Grylls, i'd bet)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 04:34:24 PM
Being in a city, any fish I pull out of a local canal or park, will probably kill me anyway ::)

This is another fair point. I think pulling a fish out of the Mississippi River here would be only marginally better for you than pulling one from the Ganges River

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 04:49:30 PM
don't start with the 'Rambo hate' !
if it wasn't for him i wouldn't be the man i am  :rant:
(nor would Bear Grylls, i'd bet)
Don't take it wrong! I love Rambo too! :salute:
Antonio

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 04:53:57 PM
i'm playing a devil's advocate maybe, BUT
for the size and weight of a few hooks i'd include them in a kit. fishing line (or something that could be used as such would be handy for lots of other things).
catching Birds with fishing hooks ??? not very humane but probably easier than catching fish. and safer to eat.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 05:06:33 PM
You could make a mini bolas for catching mice  :P

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 06:19:56 PM
Being in a city, any fish I pull out of a local canal or park, will probably kill me anyway ::)

This is another fair point. I think pulling a fish out of the Mississippi River here would be only marginally better for you than pulling one from the Ganges River
Same here for Lake Ontario which is a half hour away, or the Erie canal which is about a five minute walk away. There are types of fish from lake Ontario that the state says at most you should eat one a year. I think I'll just not eat any of those fish instead of injesting whatever toxins are in it that I have to wait a year to eat another one. Also, there are nuclear powerplants on Lake Ontario fairly close to me so in a SHTF scenario radioactive waste might be a problem with the water.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 07:04:27 PM
99.999% of survival kits will never be used anyway. Their raison d'être is merely psychologic, either as anxiety reducers or back to nature fantasies enhancers for us, miserable urban prisoners. So, one should add whatever alleviates his stress feelins. Fishing is relaxing, fantasizing fishing is relaxing too. Unless one hates fish odor. :think:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 07:33:02 PM
RE: Ferro rods.

Let me say that whilst ice climbing, due to the very low temperatures and relatively high winds, lighters and matches were completely useless to light the stove.  A ferro rod and small bar of magnesium (shaved a bit) led to rapid lighting and subsequent eating of hot food.

Also, one really doesn't have to worry about rain or running out of fuel with a ferro rod either. 

Yes, I've have very good success with ferro rods.

RE: Fishing line.

Very useful stuff, especially when NOT fishing.  Extremely good strength to weight ratio and can even be used for suturing when you slip up using your survival axe and plant it in your hand or foot.

However, for 72 hours?  Water purifier, something to hold water in, rain poncho-y thing (Large plastic bag even) and a jumbo bag of skittles will get you through with no problems.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 07:43:38 PM
i rarely find myself 'ice climbing' (certainly not unexpectedly) so i'd rather have a lighter in MY kit.
and when you are 'ice climbing' what do you light ?
ferros are great for lighting stoves granted  :tu: (as said by 50'-trad earlier)
in MY 'survival kit' i'd go for a couple of easy light, guaranteed fires over 10000 possible sparks any day.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 07:48:13 PM
i rarely find myself 'ice climbing' (certainly not unexpectedly) so i'd rather have a lighter in MY kit.
and when you are 'ice climbing' what do you light ?
ferros are great for lighting stoves granted  :tu: (as said by 50'-trad earlier)
in MY 'survival kit' i'd go for a couple of easy light, guaranteed fires over 10000 possible sparks any day.

I've lit an alcohol burner (ultralight trips) and a wood burning stove while out climbing.  My point is, if it's raining like stink, your lighter isn't going to be highly effective.  My ferro rod and magnesium slivers will still light.

Using the ferro rod/Mg takes maybe 3-5 minutes more time and can be done with heavy gloves on.  Not so doable with a lighter.

Not all "Survival" settings will take place on bluebird summer days...

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 07:54:03 PM
i'm not being deliberately argumental, please don't think me so even if i sound it. I AM VERY INTERESTED in your view/knowledge
my issue with ferro rods is that while they do trump lighters/matches for weather resistance, in the wet stuff what you are trying to light tends to be damp.
i have lit fires with a ferro, but i suck at it and if the tinder is moist i'm scr**ed

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 07:58:24 PM
i'm not being deliberately argumental, please don't think me so even if i sound it. I AM VERY INTERESTED in your view/knowledge
my issue with ferro rods is that while they do trump lighters/matches for weather resistance, in the wet stuff what you are trying to light tends to be damp.
i have lit fires with a ferro, but i suck at it and if the tinder is moist i'm scr**ed

So here's the deal:

The magnesium slivers ARE your tinder.  No need for moss or slivering up wood or whatever.  Shave off a little pile of magnesium into SMALL dry kindling (split open sticks if everything is really wet) and put the Mg in a pile on the small kindling and light.  It's about practice really.  Although I've never tried lighting Mg with a lighter... :think:

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03:32 PM
i have tried to light magnesium with a lighter, as i remember it's not that easy (needs to be Very hot i think  :think:)
i'd pack a mag block yes, just not a 'firesteel' thingy that all the bushcrafty types rave about.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 08:11:56 PM
i have tried to light magnesium with a lighter, as i remember it's not that easy (needs to be Very hot i think  :think:)
i'd pack a mag block yes, just not a 'firesteel' thingy that all the bushcrafty types rave about.

The sparks off the Ferro rods must be every hot because they will light the Mg very readily.  Ferro Rod/Mg is the most failsafe way to start a fire, imo (except for road flares!  >:D)

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 08:19:20 PM
sorry Lynn, i've hijacked your thread a bit here  :whistle:
thanks Mr Whippy, for your input. i do appreciate the info.
i'm putting together a 'fire starting kit' at the mo so any advice is welcome. i'm torn between the ''small and always on me'' kit and ''dear god , i don't have any eyebrows left but at least i'm warm''

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 08:22:49 PM
oh and it needs to be as fool proof as possible, there always seems to be an idiot about when i do things  :think:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 08:27:41 PM
oh and it needs to be as fool proof as possible, there always seems to be an idiot about when i do things  :think:

Pack a wrench and some steel wool.

Just snatch someone's car battery and short it across the steel wool:  You'll get a fire.  >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 08:36:02 PM
Not a hijack at all.  :salute:

I mentioned ferros in the first post, and, Mr. Whippy, take note, I didn't say they were a bad idea. They're not. They're a GREAT idea... AFTER you stick a lighter in. I have only failed getting a fire started maybe twice with a lighter, and on one of those occasions, even ferro/Magnesium AND Fire Ribbon failed. That was because any available fuel was soaked.

Taxi Dad. Mr. Whippy is right about the Ferro/Magnesium being a good (and light) option. But I feel adamant in saying it shouldn't be the first option. Lighters are cheap, incredibly reliable, and even when out of fuel will still throw sparks with one-handed operation. Magnesuim will burn crazy hot, and catch a great deal of tinder alight, but in my experience, burns FAST. I've had best luck with just a lighter and cotton balls either with a bit of petrolium jelly or some parafin wax melted in. I prefer the parafin because it's less messy. Store either variety in a film canister. Starting a fore is all about giving your tinder/kindling a chance to ignite, to build upon. The cotton fluff catches readily, and adding petrolium jelly or parafin extends burn time into the 2 to 3 minute range, which is usually PLENTY of time to get a little teepee of matchsized stick (and larger) going.

YMMV

Mr. Whippy, when I think of convenient portable fire-starting kits, a car battery is such a no-brainer that I forgot to even mention it.  :rofl:  I'm pretty sure that both Survivorman and Dual Survival have shown this method.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 08:41:58 PM
these look 'handy'  :pok:
http://www.firepuck.com/
can't find anywhere to get them here though  :(

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 08:47:29 PM
RE: wet conditions.

I'm sure I've told this before BUT:

When I was a boy scout, our troop foolishly decided to camp in the coastal mountains of Oregon in mid October.  Anybody familiar with the area knows that at that time of year, it just rains.  All.  The. Time.

We hiked in to camp around 9 pm, and it was already dark and wet, as were we.  After messing around with splitting logs to find dry wood for a while our troop leader, a retired railroad man, said, "Pile up as much wood as you can easily find. I'll be back in a bit".  He hiked back to his truck, took a few railroad flares from his toolbox and hiked back.

One strike, jammed it in the base of the pile of wood and about 10 minutes later we had a roaring bonfire.  :gimme:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%