Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sog mini project

WH867 · 18 · 3984

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Sog mini project
on: April 13, 2008, 04:55:09 AM
 After spending  too much time on this forum I decided I needed to try a sog so I bought a powerlock.  I Liked it enough that a Pocket Power Pliers came next.    I liked everything on the powerlock except I decided  to replace the V cutter with scissors.   My parts order from sog came yesterday so last night was project time.
    Installing the scissors on the Powerlock was not as easy as I had hoped.  Keeping the 3 pieces of the scissor assembly lined up long enough to get the pin through is tricky. Took about 20 minutes before I finally got it done. I had ordered an extra scissors for future use  but decided last night that I wanted to see if they would work in the Pocket pliers.  The Sog website says they are not an option for the Pocket Pliers.
   Only took a few minutes to Install the scissors this time.  Main problem was the plier handles would not close fully because of the scissors hitting the knife blade in the other handle.  After removing a small amount of material from the backside of the scissors with a Dremel tool that problem was solved.     Because the scissors are wider than the normal accessory the plier head very slightly rubs against them when closing.  Not a big deal and does not bother me at all.  The scissors are much more useful to me than the file and can opener that had to be sacraficed.
   It was my first attempt at customizing an MT  and was a small but enjoyable project.

Dennis

* 112_0677 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 41.68 KB)

* 112_0683 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 17.97 KB)

* 112_0690 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 37.35 KB)
Dennis

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: Sog mini project
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:56:39 AM
Great Job Dennis, I always like to have scissors on my multi.
"

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:32:25 AM
nice job! I did the opposite with my SOG, I took out the scissors and put in a V cutter!
how are you liking the scissors?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:23:54 AM
Good job mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 01:47:51 PM
Wow, first time I've seen scissors installed on a Pocket PowerPlier :multi:

How much material needed to be removed in order for it to fit?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 03:46:57 AM
I didnt have to remove much material.  Looking at the scissors side by side you really cant tell the difference.. I did also remove a small amount of material from the end of the knife blade stem to let the knife sit down further into the handle.
    Next project is going to be customizing My PT-540.

* 112_0696 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 27.97 KB)

* 112_0707 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 20.29 KB)
Dennis

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 04:12:57 AM
Well I don't care what everyone else says about you Dennis, you do some fine work!  ;) :multi:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:48:31 PM
What do you all think about the SOG scissors? IMO, I think they are not that great... I love how on SOG's website they state that their tools have: the best scissors, best files, and best saws!  :pok:
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:06:50 AM
Thanks for the thread WH!

I recently acquired a PPP and was actually wondering if the scissors would work, thanks for paving the way so I don't have to risk my 12$ ordering scissors that may not have fit.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 10:00:13 PM
Good job,but what are you going to do to your PT 540??

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 06:37:09 PM
After trying the Sog scissors on a variety of materials I think they work very good.  Much better than the sog crosscut that I have. 

On the Paladin I'm just going to swap out some tools to replace the ones I have no use for. 
Dennis

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 04:03:27 AM
I had some time last night so I decided it was PT-540 time.  I took out the stuff I didnt need and added more usefull tools.   I have room left for one more tool and it will be either a robertson drive or another large screwdriver made into a scraper/chisel.

* 112_0753 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 35.29 KB)
Dennis

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 04:33:41 AM
Do the pliers close with that tool combo?
B

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 04:43:59 AM
Yes, they close  fine.    But it did take me   several tries to get the combination and placement of the tools right.
Dennis

Offline samson722

Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 05:50:05 PM
Does anybody know if the Paladin components are available a la carte, so to speak?  I work with quite of bit of electrical in one of my jobs, and the wire strippers would be quite useful.  If not, I'm not so sure I'd be able to find somebody willing to let go of the parts.  Let me know.  Thanks, folks!  :D
<

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 04:36:41 AM
Does anybody know if the Paladin components are available a la carte, so to speak?  I work with quite of bit of electrical in one of my jobs, and the wire strippers would be quite useful.  If not, I'm not so sure I'd be able to find somebody willing to let go of the parts.  Let me know.  Thanks, folks!  :D

Member Iconoclast posted this link recently for Paladin components: http://sacramentoelectronics.com/pal/powerplay/replacement.html

Do they have what you need?

Offline samson722

Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 04:43:33 AM
Yup, they do.  The 110 punchdown and stripper is perfect.  We have a lot of Cat5/Cat6 running around the studio, and the wire stripper looks decent, so it might be just the ticket.  Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that link.  Much appreciated!
 :cheers:
<

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 04:50:31 AM
I wonder about those wire strippers though. They don't look "sharpened" :-\

Has anyone here tried the Paladin wire stripper notches?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%