Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Interesting SAKalike

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Interesting SAKalike
on: July 24, 2013, 11:29:17 PM
I was at a friends house barbecuing a few days ago and at one point he called me into the garage opened his tackle box and pulled out a SAK clone and said: "Could you fix this?" It was rusted and gunked up shut. I needed pliers to open the tools but it looked better than the regular SAK clone so I decided to give it a shot. :shrug:

I forgot to take before pics of the whole tool but it's the same as below minus the fish scaler. (Yes, I know he uses it for fishing but who actually uses the fish scaler for it's intended purpose.)

I had a little mishap while cleaning it though. I put it in a cleaning solution to soak and after about a half an hour I went to check on it. :oops: The knife backspring broke. :doh: But as I pulled it out it looked familiar. :think: Yes, I've seen that shape before ;) I pulled a 91mm backspring from the parts box and compared. Compatible. :tu: and kind of weird. A SAK clone whose parts are compatible with the real deal. :think: I cleaned it and assembled it with the Vic backspring and it fit like a glove. I don't understand why they made a hole it it though. :shrug: There's one on the opener layer backspring too. 

Here's how the parts looked like prior to cleaning, grouped by tools/liners and backsprings for each layer.

I don't know where he got it nor how much he payed for one but I'll have to ask him for sure as some of the tools look usable/interesting for mods.

The mag glass holder is metal...

and the phillips on the opposite side of it is a bit smaller than on the 91mm Vic but the thin body could be handy for those recessed screws.

The metal file/saw compared with a Vic.

The scissors aren't close to Vics by any means but are still usable (well the spring fell out for some reason when I was taking the pictures, but that's an easy fix). The pliers are good too as is the saw.

The back layered tools though. :facepalm:

Someone placed two small flatheads, an "awl" and a corkscrew there. The corkscrew is the only remotely usable tool of the selection. I think one of the two flatheads should have been a chisel but someone placed the wrong tool in during assembly as the one backlayered to he saw is to thin for that layer.

And the "awl". ::) Well it makes the Juice awl look sharp. :D And the position of the hole is also a bit off. :P

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Interesting SAKalike
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:39:27 AM
I think looks like a Richartz 'Struktura' knife, from the design of the scales.

Very cool knife, in any case. :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:04:20 AM
Yes, I thought so too. In fact I asked him if it was a Richartz when he gave it to me. But there's no whale anywhere and the blade stamp only says Stainless Steel. Also the can opener is Victorinox style.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 01:43:16 AM
It seems very similar to this one I saw

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=45801

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30