Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bug Out Bag ideas?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Bug Out Bag ideas?
on: April 17, 2013, 09:04:15 AM
I am the typical person you would expect to have a B.O.B, but I do not.  >:( So with a backpack and what I have at the house I am going to put together the best B.O.B I can. I just picked up a pin and paper and started listing things I would need to be in the bag and I would love to hear some suggestions on what other people put in there's and why. I hope I can get some great ideas from everyone. Thank you in advance.    :tu:   
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Bug Out Bag ideas?
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 09:45:50 AM
May be the most obvious, simple  and silly thing you'd expect to hear, but you'll hear from me is:

- C.A.S.H. and lots of it. I'd opened a similar topic here almost a year ago, when there was a freakin terrible earthquake in my hometown and we had to evacuate. NO matter what I expected and what most people do, the most needed thing then was money. We ran away from home, so to say, in pyjamas, so we needed to buy even essential things like underwear and socks (so that's another thing you can put in the B.O.B).

- You might want to throw there a small radio with batteries. It turned out to be very useful, though we didn't have it. Some neighbours did and others turned on the radios in their cars so that we could hear wtf and where was going on.

- A spare phone/charger/battery. My phone's battery died exactly that smurfin night.

I thought a flashlight would be essential as it was night, but the truth is, although the electricity in our building did go out later, there were so many cars and car lights outside, that it was basically like a day.

Ok, enough for now, if I think of something else, I'll write... : ) Of course, people who've experienced other disasters will have more ideas, specifically for those occasions.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:35:08 AM
Ahh, earthquakes!! Funny lil' buggers!! :facepalm:

+ 1 on some cash. You never know what it could do for you.

You could add some interdental brushes. Very useful little things they are!

I've been trying to put a (perfected) bug out bag together for a while now. I realised it's probably better if I just covered all the needs I know of and leave the nuclear holocaust/bacteria war/zombies/extraterrestrials and other natural disasters out of the equation. Doing so helps me keep things lightweight and my mind at ease. Que sera, sera as they say.

So far mine contains a set of clothes adequate for that season of the year I am in, a hat, spare glasses, a notebook and pen+marker, a small radio, a compass, a flashlight, a lighter, first aid kit+sewing kit, emergency blanket, beauty kit (I should add a toilet roll), 12m of paracordish string, a Vic Handyman and a 2008 Soldier and a double mess tin holding some of the things in it. I should add some water purification thingy at some time.

I prefer leaving food and liquids out and just add them at the last moment if possible.

Hopefully you'll get more answers we'll all benefit from :) Thanks for starting this thread and good luck :salute:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 10:43:00 AM
+1 on the loo roll
AND don't forget any regular medication along with painkillers !!!
copies of medical history ? (might come in handy ?)

* mabe not in a 'bug out bag' as such, but copy all insurance,bank details, passports etc. (all your documents) and deposit at a safe location at a fair distance from home, maybe with a trusted friend/relative. it would help in the clean-up after an 'event'
got that from a poor friend who's house burned to the ground. The family had only their pyjamas although fully insured they had trouble proving it and who they were when trying to claim on insurance etc.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:07:12 AM by Taxi Dad »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 05:02:25 PM
Chako just started a thread where he showed the contents of HIS bug out bag, and I followed, so you can see what's in mine there.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,44422.0.html

N_N_R is 100% right. Cash is like the ultimate multitool, since it weighs almost nothing and in most cases can be converted into most anything.

I stated my reasons for it in the other thread, but again, I'm totally with the idea of a complete change of clothes (at minimum). At absolute minimum, spare underwear and socks. Also... spare eyeglasses/contacts.

And again 100% with the idea of taking TP. I'm SHOCKED how many videos I've seen on YouTube where people have all manner of gear, and no TP. I grew up on a farm, and have used leaves and corncobs and other 'fun' things. Thanks. No. I'll take TP. Basic sanitation in a disaster is VERY important.

Food/Water: Doesn't have to be MREs. it could be cheap generic granola bars. And SOME water. Doesn't have to be tons, but I'd say a liter/quart would be a good idea. I use this measurement because a lot of the water treatment options are for 1 liter/quart, so you drink the water, refill it with whatever source is available, and treat it as needed.

Chargers: Get a spare USB cable for your phone, along with a wall plug and adapter for a car's cigarette lighter. And maybe a spare phone battery or one of those emergency phone chargers. They don't weight much. They don't cost much, and phones can be very important in an emergency.

This might sound dumb, because it's so obvious to us here: A good multitool. I put my best, a Vic Spirit X, in my pack, but honestly, a good PST Clone would probably cover most needs, and be something you could loan/give away.

Entertainment: Seriously. There might be a LOT of sitting around with nothing to do. Deck of cards, paperback novel, something.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:08 PM
I agree with what people have said so far. Sanitation and water are very important! I would recommend a Katadyn hiker or hiker pro, or a katadyn mybottle purifier. I have both and they are great to have! Also don't get a ceramic water filter, it will clog easily. Other than that I would have my survival kit. I find first aid also very important and remember to be very thorough with it! In a disaster you may be injured with no medical help. A radio is also good to have and don't forget a multitool! I don't know how it is in the many different countries on this forum, but in the US it will take about 3 days for full disaster relief at the most. So bring necessities for a 3 day period.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:26:21 PM
Thanks everyone. A lot of very useful info from you. I am trying to put this BOB together without buying anything. Honestly I just don't have any money to spend so i'm not buying anything for it anyways. I completely agree I should have cash in there so that will come when I get some that I can put away. I put together a list of things I should have around the house that I was planning on putting in the BOB.

Full change of clothes
Medicine
MT and SAK
Simple fishing kit
Basic Hygiene  (tooth paste, floss, Soap, ect.....)
Flashlight
Batteries  (for radio, light)
Lighter, striker
Water
Canned food  (One can, to initially eat if needed and to have a metal can for boiling/cooking just in case)
Sewing kit
Folding knife
Fixed blade
First aid kit
Gloves
Ziploc bag or two
Toilet Paper (roll)
Poncho (Don't have one)
Paracord  (Don't have any)
Duct tape
Hat
Sunglasses

I would like to have a tent and a camp stove on hand just in case I had time to grab it. I am obviously not making this bag for a particular scenario, but as a general scenario bag if you will.  :) I just realized I did not add a razor or shaving cream, soap to the list, but ahhh screw it. If something terrible happens i'm growing the beard out. I might have to use it as cord one day.  :D

I'm not sure if all this will fit, but i'm going to put everything together tomorrow and find out.  :tu:

I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 10:03:16 PM
The canned food is something I went back and forth on. People complain about the weight, but the actual weight of a can isn't all that much, actually. They just seem bulky. After you've used the food, you have a billy can for cooking (as you pointed out), or if you bring multiples, you can make a wood-gas stove. If you DO intend to use one as a billycan, make sure you stick in a length of coathanger or other heavy wire to make a bail for it.

Consider foods that can be eaten right out of the can cold. I prefer Beef Ravioli and Chili, but if you're going for caloric density, you might check labels on stuff like Corned Beef Hash. Whatever you pack, make sure your guts can handle it first.

A LOT of the gear in my BOB are things I've specifically requested for Christmas or my birthday over the past 3 years. Yes, I've been working on it for 3 years! Start with what you have at hand, and replace/upgrade as time/money allows.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:08:04 PM
i love cold baked beans  :drool:
(is that so wrong? )

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 10:18:40 PM
length of Coat hanger is a good idea.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:41:43 PM
i have some cheepo stainless steel BBQ skewers (only thin)
multi use ~ intended use
                  tent pegs
                  bails
the list goes on  :tu: specially if you have a good set of pliers/cutters  ::)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:42:08 PM
i love cold baked beans  :drool:
(is that so wrong? )

Nothing wrong with cold baked beans. Unless you're trapped with someone else in an elevator.  :whistle:

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 10:45:05 PM
I think smallish amounts of gold/silver would be a good idea! if the smurf really hits the fan paper money will be useless :)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 10:55:14 PM
While I keep hearing people talk about gold/silver in a BOB, here's the thing: How many people do you think have ANY idea what the spot on precious metals are? I check Silver a few times a month, and I might be off by as much as $5, on a guess.

Secondarily, how many people do you think actually know what a silver U.S. (or other nation's) coin looks like, or what year it was made of silver, and what level of silver content?

Even solid bullion, like oz. bars. You think someone's going to know that's for real? Then add in the stupid .9999999% gold PLATED coins.

Sorry. I'll pass. As a matter of fact, I think Captain Spaulding was the recipient of my entire silver horde in an earlier trade. That's how much faith I have in precious metals. I only felt good about the trade because a lot of the coins had real numismatic value.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:26:27 PM
For a radio, you should get one with a crank that you crank up to use.  No batteries needed!

I see you have lighter, striker listed and I would have a few lighters and add some matches.  More important to have fire to cook and boil water to drink with as well as keeping warm.

The setup you have listed looks pretty good to me. :tu:

EDIT:  It wouldnt hurt to add some kind of knife sharpener/stone like a Spyderco doublestuff. :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:28:55 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 01:42:30 AM
If smurf really hits the fan, and I mean the big fan, gold and silver and other things to barter with will be a big deal. Won't matter what the silver or gold index says because there won't be one. I really hope that the smurf doesn't hit the big fan.

sent from Ducttapetech's roaming device

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:56 AM
Gold, silver? Pretty, but cash is better. A little jewlery as trade goods, a good watch, but at that point, this is you trying to get on the last plane out of dodge.

Lets look at more realistic scenarios.

Cap, what is your location (roughly) so we can get an idea about climate and threats? Develop the plan, then you go shopping.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 04:58:10 AM
Something else I didn't mention, because I carry it in my purse, is an encrypted flash drive with copies of important documents, insurance policies, etc. It's also worth making a text file with a copy of your phone's contact list, in the event your phone dies completely.

For the precious metals, meh, you wanna hedge your bets, go ahead and throw in a few ounces. Not for me, but I figure you're all adults, and can make your own decisions. My plans for MY kit are things I know I'll need, things I'm very likely to need, things that might be life-saving in the event of something critical, and commodities that are the standard at this moment. To be honest, I haven't even gotten into the last two brackets yet.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 07:09:45 AM
Put everything to do with water purification and filtering. You can live 7 days or longer without food, only 3 without clean water. If its truly a BOB bag. You also need some fire making stuffs of all kinds. A first aid kit, not a cheap one! A survival handbook with plant ID is great. If the SHTF and there's nothing left, money is useless, food and water is the most valuable thing you'll have, that and knowledge
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline wndrstrck

• Leatherman, GEC, SOG, Parker
Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 07:23:41 AM
A copy of the SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

"To be prepared is half the victory" Miguel de Cervantes

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 12:42:13 PM
Hmmm... Almost surprised no one said this yet, but if you take canned food, maybe a fork or spork wouldn't be a bad idea, either, I think  :think:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:56 PM
Hmmm... Almost surprised no one said this yet, but if you take canned food, maybe a fork or spork wouldn't be a bad idea, either, I think  :think:

Great idea actually. I really did not even think about eating utensils.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 01:02:58 AM
Glock,water tablets,ammo, jar of peanut butter, sak, space blanket, paracord, firesteel, cash, nalgene.

:like:    :MTO:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 01:06:00 AM
Another thread got me thinking that I should add about 8oz of Proper English and a good pipe to my B.O.B. to help pass time.
Nate

SEND IT!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 06:08:05 PM
just looking through the cr@p in my bag and i noticed something that i forgot, but is VERY handy !
WET WIPES !
never under estimate the humble wipe for hygiene and it's value for morale (nothing better than feeling clean  8))

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 06:13:10 PM
just looking through the cr@p in my bag and i noticed something that i forgot, but is VERY handy !
WET WIPES !
never under estimate the humble wipe for hygiene and it's value for morale (nothing better than feeling clean  8))

Wet wipes are also good for stemming blood flow!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 08:51:49 PM
WET WIPES !

I have these in my bag. I completely agree with feeling clean. It can boost morale or help you sleep. I was on a week long camping trip and the only thing that saved our ass from smelling like bigfoot himself was my (ex)Girlfriend bringing wet wipes.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 02:05:51 AM
The Go Bag is coming together nicely. Just a few more things to go in.
I'm the milk man!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 06:29:42 PM
Did the decently coloured Paracord arrive yet?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 08:33:11 PM
It has not. Hopefully soon.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85