Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bear and Son Super Jaws

Offline mikekoz

Bear and Son Super Jaws
on: April 21, 2013, 11:29:47 PM
    I do not see much written about this brand on the forum, so I thought I would do a quick write up of one of B & S's multi tools I just acquired. I have three knives made by Bear and Son and they are not fancy, but of very good quality, so I was expecting about the same from this multi tool. Here are some photos of the MT:

Uploaded with

It is a large tool, comparable to a Leatherman Supertool or Supertool 300. All of the tools lock, like all good quality ones should, and the main blade came with a pretty good edge on it. It gives you a good deal of confidence when you first pick it up that it is built very solid. Time will tell as far as that goes, however. The pliers seem very strong and the tool is very comfortable in my hands at least. The tools are also accessible from the outside, which I feel is a good design.

Now, for the bad things about this multi tool. The materials used to make this tool seem first rate, but on a few things, the actual way the design of these materials is executed is not so good. First of all, the individual tools clump pretty badly and the smaller ones are hard to pull out. There are notches  on them, but the way they are put into the handle, you cannot get your fingernail in them. They way this works, actually clumping seems to be the only way to get them out of the handle to use. I have tried to loosen them using knife oil, but it did little good. The file rubs up against the lever that is used to unlock each tool also. The pliers are out of the box, very tight and the handles do not lock. Putting some WD 40 on them helped a little, but I am hoping they loosen as the tool is used.

Overall, I am glad I purchased the Super Bear Jaws. I got a good deal on it online, and ended up getting it for about $64.00 shipped. I would like to note that this Multi tool appears to be the only one out there that is 100% made in the USA. Bear and Son claim all components of their tools are made here, which is something I can appreciate, and getting to be a rarity in this day and age! I would not put it up there quality wise with the Leatherman's, however. I am glad I did not spend $100.00 plus on this because parts of it still need some tweaking! 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:29:38 AM by mikekoz »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Bear and Son Super Jaws
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:33:24 AM
Nice review. I am a fan of Bear & Son multi-tools. They are getting a bit hard to find these days. You have a great example there.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:27:51 PM
Sadly Bear & Sons just don't seem to have moved their designs on at all over the years, which is a shame as there really are some excellent features in there.  Cheers for the review mikekoz. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:50:05 PM
You have done exceedingly well if you have found a BearJaws with locks that actually lock mate  ;) :D. I think most have one or two or more  :ahhh :ahhh tools that do not lock well  :( :(.

Yep I think Bear & Son have some VERY good designs but their quality control is quite patchy  :think: :think:. The BearJaws design was so good Victorinox bought Bear & Son(they no longer own Bear & Son) so they could use the BearJaws patents to make the original SwissTool. So in some ways a SwissTool is a very well made BearJaws  :think: :D.

It is a big shame that Bear & Son have not done more development & improvements too their multitool range  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:27:52 PM
I have one of the original non-locking versions of this tool, and really like it. It's a good robust tool that you're not frightened of using, and having non-locking blades is a bonus for me too  :) Personally I have avoided the locking versions of this as they don't seem to have the same appeal to me.

As for the clumping and access of the tools, I'd agree it is somewhat of a pain but it is quite tolerable in my experience. At least on this tool they are mounted outboard, whereas with many of the older leatherman tools you had to open the handles, then have the clumping, then have to close the handles (and same again when putting the tool away again). Outboard clumping without having the handle issues is much better for me in comparison  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 08:20:29 PM
Where they ever sold in the uk? or did you have to order from the u.s??

Offline mikekoz

Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:39:40 PM
I have one of the original non-locking versions of this tool, and really like it. It's a good robust tool that you're not frightened of using, and having non-locking blades is a bonus for me too  :) Personally I have avoided the locking versions of this as they don't seem to have the same appeal to me.

As for the clumping and access of the tools, I'd agree it is somewhat of a pain but it is quite tolerable in my experience. At least on this tool they are mounted outboard, whereas with many of the older leatherman tools you had to open the handles, then have the clumping, then have to close the handles (and same again when putting the tool away again). Outboard clumping without having the handle issues is much better for me in comparison  :tu:

I was actually able to resolve a lot of the tightness in my Bear MT by adjusting it with a couple of torx drivers! The clumping is not so much of an issue now, and I am sure it will loosen more as I use it. This tool seems to have a raw quality to it! I also like the outboard tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%