Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blade: Pruner vs. Electrician's utility

Poll

Which blade do you prefer, the Pruner blade or the Electrician's Utility blade?

Pruner blade
7 (33.3%)
Electrician's Utility blade
14 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: April 30, 2013, 04:33:05 PM

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Blade: Pruner vs. Electrician's utility
on: April 23, 2013, 04:33:05 PM
Hi all,
I am trying to decide between the Alox Pioneer Rancher with the Pruner blade, and the Alox Electrician with the Utility blade.  I already have both available, but must make a choice as one of them will be the property of my place of employment, and the other will be going home with me.  Both blades are excellent and I am having difficulty making up my mind :think:  Please help me :ahhh ;)

Also, this is my first poll, so if I've done anything incorrectly or there are any suggestions, please feel free to let me know :salute:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Mud Shrimp Moe

Re: Blade: Pruner vs. Electrician's utility
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:44:38 PM
Your post doesn't describe the tasks for which you expect to use the blades. Obviously enough, if you worked in landscaping or something, the pruner blade would be a no brainer. I think for a lot of general "handyman" stuff, however, the electrician's blade is just a more general use blade. Obviously, it's ideal for stripping wire, etc. But then it's well suited to opening boxes, bags and other general utility blade use. The pruner blade is nice, but perhaps not quite as general use.

I own both type of blades as well (an Alox Pruner and Alox Electrician) and like both. But if forced to choose only one for work (and assuming "work" isn't gardening) .... electrician's blade.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:54:52 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Moe :salute:

I did not mention any tasks for which I would use the blade.  I actually don't do much of what either blade's namesake suggests (not a gardener or electrician) so they actually wouldn't get much use for their "intended" purposes.  However, we all know the various blades and tools on our SAKs aren't limited to their named purpose necessarily, and are only limited by our imagination/need at the time.  The majority of my use would be more along the lines of opening mail/packages/boxes and general purpose cutting.  Another function I would like the blade to cover as best it can, is to act in place of scissors (since Alox models are apparently not allowed to have them >:().  I know it can't fully replace scissors, but I've found that a good, sharp blade will handle most scissor tasks, even cutting paper (albeit more slowly and a bit more difficult).  I appreciate the input :salute:
K-Tibbs

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:30:44 PM
I find the utility blade on the E+ to be superb in the field , blades sharpened on the inside of the curve can be a bit of a PITA to field sharpen .

Chris

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:28:10 PM
I prefer to have both (in my XLT) and use both. But when I had to choose I went for the pruner blade. It is very sharp a good substitute for V-cutters.
I've seen recently an Alox with both blades. Maybe it  was a Syph007 Mod.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:32:37 PM
Here it is!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:40:45 PM
For box opening-like duty's, I'd say pruner. Also looks like it would work excellent on those smurfed blister-packages ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 06:47:51 PM
For box opening-like duty's, I'd say pruner. Also looks like it would work excellent on those smurfed blister-packages ;)
I was thinking the same thing

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 07:12:07 PM
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 07:45:00 PM
That's one good looking SAK there but I think it missing both the owl and the can opener is too exotic for me :rofl:

I haven't tried the electrician's blade but I can share my thoughts on the pruner. After all my first Alox was the Harvester for that very blade I intended to use in the fields.

I come from a rural area and I spent a lot of time there until age 15. I remember the old timers using a scythe like little knife for almost everything even for slicing bread. I couldn't do anything with that. Now I can. Where I'm getting at is that the tip is curved and this makes the blade behave in an unusual way. I mean if one is not used to its way one could find oneself hurt by that curved, pointy end :facepalm:

I think that due to its overall size this pruner blade is more suited to cutting'n'picking fruits one-handed and peeling them and maybe some skinning (have my doubts but no experience on that) than it is for say pruning. I've done some pruning with it and while it works well I prefer the main blade for that in the end. Every time I close that blade a get a heartbeat.

All in all this is almost a task-specific blade IMO whereas the electrician's blade with its wharncliffe tip and that bloody chisel grind it has should be a better supplement to the main blade and the Alox awl :drool: that works wonders on smurfin' blisters. BTW does it bother you that being a chisel grind this awl isn't very helpful for left-handed folk?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:03:51 PM
@firiki

Since I am right handed, I can't speak on whether or not the grind on the awl is a problem for lefties.  I'm not sure what you mean as to what would be a problem, but since I am a righty, I wouldn't understand ;) 
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:21:31 PM
@firiki

Since I am right handed, I can't speak on whether or not the grind on the awl is a problem for lefties.  I'm not sure what you mean as to what would be a problem, but since I am a righty, I wouldn't understand ;) 
The Alox awl also doubles as a small blade. If you do some rough (not detailed) whittling with both hands you'll see that left-handed wise its function is compromised. Maybe others don't see it this way, so I thought I'd ask. Am I hogging the threads again? :ahhh Cheers

Edit: :facepalm: Now I get it: you thought I was asking you personally about the awl, right? My fault, I don't always spot all the faults in my text :ahhh :ahhh
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:27:21 PM by firiki »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 08:30:02 PM
@firiki

The Alox awl also doubles as a small blade. If you do some rough (not detailed) whittling with both hands you'll see that left-handed wise its function is compromised. Maybe others don't see it this way, so I thought I'd ask. Am I hogging the threads again? :ahhh Cheers

Edit: :facepalm: Now I get it: you thought I was asking you personally about the awl, right? My fault, I don't always spot all the faults in my text :ahhh :ahhh

Ha, I did think you asked me personally, but no biggie :D  I see what you're saying now as it would be difficult to whittle or scrape something left handed with the awl.  You're not hogging the thread, I enjoy discussing these things anyway :tu:
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 08:39:48 PM
Any thoughts on the electrician's blade? How would it be at whittling?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 09:00:56 PM

Are you asking me personally? :rofl:
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 09:21:35 PM

:doh: Indeed I was. :rofl: I don't recall any reviews on that blade and I have been wondering about it for some time so here is a good place to ask I guess :cheers: 

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 09:31:55 PM

:doh: Indeed I was. :rofl: I don't recall any reviews on that blade and I have been wondering about it for some time so here is a good place to ask I guess :cheers:

:rofl:  I can't really say when it comes to whittling as I don't whittle (although I would consider picking that hobby up considering all my Mts/SAKs).  I think it could have some kind of use for whittling though based on it's design.  The end would be good for some kind of detailing perhaps, and the wire cutting section at the base may also be handy in some way.  I know I've read somewhere that someone used that section to strip bark and form a pointed end on a stick (probably for marshmallows).  Wish I knew more so I could be more helpful :think:
K-Tibbs

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:23:35 PM
I really think the Recruit is one of the best SAKs for whittling.  The small blade is great, the keyring is on the liner, so easy to file off, and there are no backspring tools to dig into you while whittling.

I've never used the pruner blade, but I liked the electrician blade well enough.  I decided that the can opener/driver was more useful to me, though, and gave away my electrician.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 10:33:36 PM
I really think the Recruit is one of the best SAKs for whittling.  The small blade is great, the keyring is on the liner, so easy to file off, and there are no backspring tools to dig into you while whittling.

I've never used the pruner blade, but I liked the electrician blade well enough.  I decided that the can opener/driver was more useful to me, though, and gave away my electrician.

That was my thinking behind getting the Pioneer.  There is already the main blade and the awl that is sharp enough to be useful as a box/package opener, etc.  The can opener itself isn't all that useful to me (but you never know when it may be), but the tip does serve as a  decent phillips driver, therefore making it more of a necessity than a third cutting utensil in the Electrician's or pruner blade. 

K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 10:47:20 PM
That can opener is the definition of versatile I tell ya. You can even cut clean through paper/leather/plastic with it, also scrape, pry or dig into things. Funny thing is that I laughed at that can opener the first time I saw it many years ago and now here I am writting about how good it is. 

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 02:44:37 AM
That can opener is the definition of versatile I tell ya. You can even cut clean through paper/leather/plastic with it, also scrape, pry or dig into things. Funny thing is that I laughed at that can opener the first time I saw it many years ago and now here I am writting about how good it is.

Good to know.  Wasn't aware it can cut through so many materials. 
K-Tibbs

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:03 PM
I'm in the Pruner minority myself.

Find it to be a really great blade for all sorts of things, especially ripping in to a variety of packaging. I have used the other one, so my research is incomplete! :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 11:22:42 PM
Pruner minority here as well.

I like them both and I also like the spear point Settler's blade. In combination with the large 93 mm blade personally I find the Pruner blade being a bit more useful to me than the Electrician blade.

The Electrician Duo LE model also has both these secondary blades. I like that model a lot, despite not having the awl.
050_5911.JPG
* 050_5911.JPG (Filesize: 146.62 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 05:11:17 AM
Pruner minority here as well.

I like them both and I also like the spear point Settler's blade. In combination with the large 93 mm blade personally I find the Pruner blade being a bit more useful to me than the Electrician blade.

The Electrician Duo LE model also has both these secondary blades. I like that model a lot, despite not having the awl.

That SAK is pretty sweet, but I'd probably prefer either scissors or a file in place of the saw, and I too would like the awl. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 05:29:49 AM
Delicious SAK  8) (to me, at least) From all models done with standard 93 mm line parts this model could be my top favorite if it won't have the ring.

:climber:
050_5918.JPG
* 050_5918.JPG (Filesize: 123.86 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 03:43:22 PM
So it appears the Electrician's utility blade is the winner with double the votes over the pruner blade.  I think I agree with the results, and have since gone with the Electrician.  I think I miss the pruner blade a little, but I also think I just miss whichever one I don't have :ahhh  As I said, I don't really carry it anyway, but I keep it in our computer area so that it's there for my fiddling fun ;)

Thanks to firiki's info about the versatility of the can opener, I've found I've been messing around with it more to see what I can do with it.  It all comes down to your imagination I'd say.  I'd never really looked beyond the can opening and screwdriver functions, but it can do more.  I've used it to extend my reach a few inches and it will hook onto the edge of an item as long as there's something for it to grab onto, and I've used it to cut the plastic film housing packing slips on boxes here at work.  It can also cut through tape on the boxes. 

I think I will attempt to sharpen it a little to improve the cutting uses.  If I had the necessary equipment and skill, I would consider removing the "hook" part at the base of it, or filing it down some so it is more out of the way, and shaping the bladed part to more of a hook-like tool by shaving out a bit of the dull, inside back end of the blade (not sure if I'd want that part to be sharp, or remain dull).  I think that could be an interesting and useful tool.
K-Tibbs

Offline NG VI

Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 07:16:48 PM
I've been thinking about sharpening up the inner edge of the can opener on my SAKs as well, realized it would be an almost perfect safety-oriented package and box opener, if only the inside were sharpened.  Get it into the material and yank away without the same dangers as a regular knife blade, and better than abusing my small scissors on questionable materials.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 07:25:23 PM
I've been thinking about sharpening up the inner edge of the can opener on my SAKs as well, realized it would be an almost perfect safety-oriented package and box opener, if only the inside were sharpened.  Get it into the material and yank away without the same dangers as a regular knife blade, and better than abusing my small scissors on questionable materials.

That wouldn't be a bad idea really.  I bet that would be a good clamshell pack opener.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 08:30:59 PM
I've sharpened the inner edge of the can opener on several of my EDC SAKS. Works great as a wire stripper and for opening those d@&* plastic clam packs. The sharpened inside of the bottle opener also works as a good stripper but not as a clam pack opener.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:34:48 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 03:02:20 PM
Personal preference, I prefer the short sheepsfoot to the slightly longer curved blade . The Sheepsfoot , is a lot easier to sharpen for most people .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD