Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Random thoughts about pricing...

kirk13 · 18 · 1985

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Random thoughts about pricing...
on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:33 PM
I hate myself for it,but I fancy a LM Juice XE6... I know it will be a let down.But browsing thru Amazon there's one on offer for £75or so....much cheaper than the usual £110 price tag.

On my recommend list is a BO Paratool,which I truly lust after,but its not worth the £75 they're asking for it...

Then there's a Spirit for £67...and it's fraking awesome.

Don't get this at all :think:

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Random thoughts about pricing...
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:32:15 PM
The RRP is one thing, what you find tools for in different countries is entirely out of context ::)
And I agree, out of those prices the Spirit would be an easy choice.

Why do you think the XE6 would be a let down?
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:35:46 PM
I'll leave the overpaying to you UK members. :whistle:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 11:38:09 PM
The RRP is one thing, what you find tools for in different countries is entirely out of context ::)
And I agree, out of those prices the Spirit would be an easy choice.

Why do you think the XE6 would be a let down?

I have 2 Juices.A Metro Custom,and a KF4.

The Metro SlimJim is a rebuilt S2...I could never bring myself to love the S2,especially at the price of them!I do love the KF4,but Juices just arn't really worth the money :facepalm:

If the XE6 was say....£60 :think: it would be great.If a S2 were the same kinda price as say a Delux Tinker :think: it would be...well still hard to love,just a better deal!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 11:38:45 PM

Yeh,cheers,thanks for that mate :megaslap: :whistle:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 11:43:43 PM

I guess I deserved a megaslap for that  :whistle:

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 11:45:25 PM

yes you do !  :megaslap:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 11:46:05 PM

:rofl:

england Offline hennypenny

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 11:55:57 PM
I hate myself for it,but I fancy a LM Juice XE6... I know it will be a let down.But browsing thru Amazon there's one on offer for £75or so....much cheaper than the usual £110 price tag.

On my recommend list is a BO Paratool,which I truly lust after,but its not worth the £75 they're asking for it...

The Spirit listed for £67 is the one with the horrible butter knife serrated blade. The one I have my eye on is the Spirit with the smooth blade, but that costs £80. I've been keeping my eye out for any price drop for months, but the price stayed the same.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:05:01 AM

The Spirit listed for £67 is the one with the horrible butter knife serrated blade. The one I have my eye on is the Spirit with the smooth blade, but that costs £80. I've been keeping my eye out for any price drop for months, but the price stayed the same.

TBH, I have the butter knife Spirit,I love it.While it is locking,it's about as non threatening as you can get without HelloKitty being on it,but good hunting anyway

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 12:24:10 AM
i wasn't sure about the 'funny blade' but it's not too bad !
if i had to choose between the xe6 and the spirit i'd go for the spirit 99% of the time, juice wins only on the 'non-locking' IMO and it's a tiny bit smaller (which isn't always good)
even if they were the same price !
both are, in my book, a bit like fine watches. they do the job of a cheep watch but there is something 'extra' almost jewellery feel to them.
 :b2t:
£70 is a bit steep for the spirit IMO, & £90+ for the Juice is robbery !
yet still we pay it  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:25:51 AM by Taxi Dad »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 12:26:50 AM
i wasn't sure about the 'funny blade' but it's not too bad !
if i had to choose between the xe6 and the spirit i'd go for the spirit 99% of the time, juice wins only on the 'non-locking' IMO and it's a tiny bit smaller (which isn't always good)
even if they were the same price !
both are, in my book, a bit like fine watches. they do the job of a cheep watch but there is something 'extra' almost jewelry feel to them.
 :b2t:
£70 is a bit steep for the spirit IMO, & £90+ for the Juice is robbery !
yet still we pay it  :facepalm:

Well I didn't!I got my Spirit off Al :rofl:

But I did buy the S2 and the KF4 :doh:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 01:31:06 AM

TBH, I have the butter knife Spirit,I love it.While it is locking,it's about as non threatening as you can get without HelloKitty being on it,but good hunting anyway

+1 on the butter knife.

I also had doubts about it, but then I got the chance to buy a Spirit at 50% discount and now I'm a huge fan of the butter knife, in my opinion, it loses none of its functionality but is far less threatening than for example the blade on a Wave (and even the blade on the Spirit X). 

And because it doesn't end in a point, the butter knife stays thicker at the end than the blade on the Spirit X, which gives it a "less fragile" look in my opinion.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 11:19:19 PM
Personally I don't rate the XE6, it's too thick and too heavy for it's dimunitive size - if that makes sense.

I've got a few juices and the one that would appeal to me for UK EDCing is the KF4.
I got my XE6 off amazon  several months ago for £40 new in damaged box, the week later another appeared for the same price which I posted a link on here too.
For £40?? yeah, it's a bargain, but I wouldn't pay more than £60, much rather have a PST or sideclip.

As for the Spirits  :drool: :drool: they are just exquisite, almost jewel like precision build quality. Far far better than any of the juices.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 11:23:17 PM
Personally I don't rate the XE6, it's too thick and too heavy for it's dimunitive size - if that makes sense.

I've got a few juices and the one that would appeal to me for UK EDCing is the KF4.
I got my XE6 off amazon  several months ago for £40 new in damaged box, the week later another appeared for the same price which I posted a link on here too.
For £40?? yeah, it's a bargain, but I wouldn't pay more than £60, much rather have a PST or sideclip.

As for the Spirits  :drool: :drool: they are just exquisite, almost jewel like precision build quality. Far far better than any of the juices.
+1
SAW

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 12:36:52 AM
The Spirit with both the horrible serrated and the lovely plain edge costs 135€ here. The best price you can get it for in a shop is 110€ and that´s about it AFAIK. Prices have gone slightly up lately. On the same trip this Cristmas I noticed that they were the same in Zurich´s aeroport and in souvenir stores in Cologne as they are here, fluctuating in euro cents. I actually like that ugly butter knife, surprisingly enough :ahhh  :rofl:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 02:55:42 PM
Those prices sound like highway robbery. :ahhh I would wait. IN the last few years Amazon.us has had Spirits for as low as $45 on a couple of occasions. And I got my almost new BO Paratool for $28 in August after a year or so long hunt for a bargain BO Paratool. The hunt is part of the fun. :D I think Nhoj should forward you one from the US just for teasing you about the UK prices. >:D

I would stay away from the XE6. I like the Juices, but the XE6 is a bit too much weight/thickness for what it offers.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 01:48:23 AM
It depends a lot on the company in question, some just go with the flow and charge as much as they can, some don't vary much from country to country. For example I was looking at binoculars, a Steiner safari pro 10x26 goes for $110 in US, my local store has it for $190. Both retailers import from Germany, so why the huge price difference? On the other hand, a Bushnell in similar size are quite close, $170 at the previously mentioned US store, and $180 at my local store.

Those prices sound like highway robbery. :ahhh I would wait. IN the last few years Amazon.us has had Spirits for as low as $45 on a couple of occasions.

You can blame Victorinox for that. Before they implemented MAP that's the usual price, and swiss champ, now both are in the $80 range.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%