Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is it possible to...

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Is it possible to...
on: April 17, 2008, 02:08:52 AM
...replace the bottle opener and bit holder on a SURGE!!!! with a regular Phillips head driver off something like a Blast?  Would I run into problems with the plier head hitting the Phillips driver when it's closed?

I've been wanting to get a black SURGE!!!, but I don't like the stubby driver...

EDIT:
And do I need TWO security bits to take a Surge apart, or just one?
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Is it possible to...
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 03:00:28 AM
You definitely need two torx bits. The six-pointers should be readily obtainable though.

Regarding the blade swap,

Good news:
The Surge bit holder and the Blast phillips are the same thickness.
They also have the same size pivot hole, and same size locking notch.
I think the Blast phillips would clear the Surge plier head. When folded up it slants in against the back of the handle, which seems like it gets underneath where the plier jaw folds to.

Not so good news:
The Blast phillips is a skosh too long. It will hit the little tab where the Surge pliers rest. (see red line below) This could be remedied by grinding back the rest tab halfway though.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 03:13:35 AM
Thanks for the pic!

What exactly is that little tab for?  To stop the plier head from rattling when closed?
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 03:25:15 AM
I'm pretty sure it is to keep the needlenose pliers from wedging into the blades. The Core doesn't have the little tabs, and some folks run into a wedging problem with it.

Here is a thread that explains it better:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,164.0.html
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%