Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MT.O Challenge Coin

Tofty · 132 · 22391

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: MT.O Challenge Coin
Reply #120 on: April 17, 2013, 09:33:20 PM
Very late  to the party. I didn't  know about this effort, so I couldn't  express my opinion earlier. I don't know if it is finalized but I have a query: Why so many (6) MT. initials around? Is it impossible to print the Forum icon, the famous "Generic" Multitool with parallel handles?

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: April 18, 2013, 11:11:56 AM
Seems a bit wrong to me. A multitool coin that says multitool  on it but has only one function.
And at expected $15 a pop is seriously overpriced for that one function.

Not having a go, just the way I see it.

Good luck anyway.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #122 on: April 19, 2013, 07:06:17 PM
I'd get one or three :D What's the price estimate :think:

Price will be below $15, can't say for sure as it's all in Grants hands from now on.

Thats pretty cool, is that what your going with? JR

Many thanks for the 3d mockup Tofty  :tu:

So this has the same central hex driver function as the coin design we are going with, but can be attached to a keyring, and have other things attached to it. Also, the same design can be put onto it.

IMO this would have been a better choice  :think:

It's a good contender for a future run but for now it has a few draw-backs:
1. I have no idea if the design can be made for the same cost as the simpler coin or indeed at all, we've never made a tool coin before so i feel that keeping things as simple as possible is the best option for now.
2.The same design wouldn't fit as the face area is much smaller, i wanted to maximize the available design space on the coin and the keyring cut-outs would have reduced it considerably.
3. There wasn't a great amount of interest in having the coin as a keyring attachable item.

Very late  to the party. I didn't  know about this effort, so I couldn't  express my opinion earlier. I don't know if it is finalized but I have a query: Why so many (6) MT. initials around? Is it impossible to print the Forum icon, the famous "Generic" Multitool with parallel handles?

It actually says MT.O with the O being the bit driver, the 6 MT.s complement the central hex aesthetically.

It was never impossible to add the parallel handled multitool logo but it's not my design, it belongs to Travis and i wanted to try something else.
The MT.O pattern was originally a place holder but since some people said they liked it i saw little reason to change it.
Next years coin will be better i'm sure of it (because someone else will be designing it).

Seems a bit wrong to me. A multitool coin that says multitool  on it but has only one function.
And at expected $15 a pop is seriously overpriced for that one function.

Not having a go, just the way I see it.

Good luck anyway.

It's not a multitool coin it's the 2013 Multitool.org (MT.O) challenge coin.
It could have no tools on it at all and still be a legitimate forum item but i felt it could do with a little something extra.
As far as i know it's only coin made to be any kind of tool, other than a bottle opener and a coin this size can open a bottle easily anyway if you've got the knack so i suppose that is two functions not including it just being a cool collectors piece.
The EDCforums coin costs $20 as do the USN ones so i think it's a pretty good deal if you like coins, which i do.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: April 19, 2013, 07:42:56 PM
Fair enough,
Judging by your sign up thread you will have no problem shifting them.

Hope it all goes to plan.

Atb,
Chip
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: April 19, 2013, 10:29:18 PM
Tofty, I think the vast majority of us believe you have done an excellent job with this. And well done on being the designer of the very first MTO challenge coin!

And the single function being a hex driver, is a very minimalist and clever idea, only 1 function, but since it can fit any hex bit, also potentially infinite functions. Which kind of sums up what a multitool is, one tool, but many functions.

Offline pockits

Reply #125 on: April 27, 2013, 12:26:31 AM
What's it for? :ahhh

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #126 on: April 27, 2013, 12:31:21 AM
I'm glad you asked Bob, because you need to get one or you are going to owe me a lot of drinks when I see you next!  :D

In WWI pilots had Challenge Coins struck with their unit info on it.  They were required to have them on them at all times, and they would often challenge eachother to present it.  If you are challenged and cannot produce it you owe the challenger a drink.  If you do produce it, the challenger owes you a drink.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline alundra

Reply #127 on: April 27, 2013, 12:40:51 AM
I'd like:

-a second hole near the outside, I can pass a keyring and easily removable for using as a coin for the supermarket "caddie"

-Hex on the edge like a wrench

-half edge: to small to large flat screwdriving ability, ideal for keyring opening instead of nail

us Offline Pacu

Reply #128 on: April 27, 2013, 12:41:58 AM
I'm glad you asked Bob, because you need to get one or you are going to owe me a lot of drinks when I see you next!  :D

In WWI pilots had Challenge Coins struck with their unit info on it.  They were required to have them on them at all times, and they would often challenge eachother to present it.  If you are challenged and cannot produce it you owe the challenger a drink.  If you do produce it, the challenger owes you a drink.

Def

things will be interesting at the next meet up  :facepalm:    someone better bring the coin or $$$  >:D
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #129 on: April 27, 2013, 02:08:59 AM
I'd like:

-a second hole near the outside, I can pass a keyring and easily removable for using as a coin for the supermarket "caddie"

-half edge: to small to large flat screwdriving ability, ideal for keyring opening instead of nail

A little late for input now!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #130 on: April 27, 2013, 06:54:34 AM
I'd like:

A little late for input now!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

I was going to mention that earlier but passed on the comment.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline stax

Reply #131 on: April 28, 2013, 09:01:48 PM
I quite like the design.  Well done.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30