Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding a Wenger Standard Issue with Scissors?

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Modding a Wenger Standard Issue with Scissors?
on: October 16, 2016, 11:22:42 AM
How straightforward would it be to mod a Wenger Standard Issue to take scissors? As I've mentioned in a few places elsewhere, I'm not a fan of the keyring on the 93mm SAKs, as find it digs into the palm of my hand (but don't find this an issue on the 91mm knives), but I do like to be able to dangle my SAKs from a Tec P7 clip - this is one of the reasons I've recently purchased a Wenger Standard issue, as it has a bail. I'd like scissors, though, so was wondering how difficult a mod it would be to add scissors to this and retain the bail?

Is it possible to replace the hollow rivet with one long enough for a 3-layer knife?

Is it possible to use the scissors and backspring from the Pionner X with a Wenger Standard Issue, would they fit without much/any modification? TBH I'd prefer the scissors from a 91mm model with the nail nick on the "correct" side, but how would you then do the back spring?
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Modding a Wenger Standard Issue with Scissors?
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 12:33:37 PM
How straightforward would it be to mod a Wenger Standard Issue to take scissors? As I've mentioned in a few places elsewhere, I'm not a fan of the keyring on the 93mm SAKs, as find it digs into the palm of my hand (but don't find this an issue on the 91mm knives), but I do like to be able to dangle my SAKs from a Tec P7 clip - this is one of the reasons I've recently purchased a Wenger Standard issue, as it has a bail. I'd like scissors, though, so was wondering how difficult a mod it would be to add scissors to this and retain the bail?

Is it possible to replace the hollow rivet with one long enough for a 3-layer knife?

Is it possible to use the scissors and backspring from the Pionner X with a Wenger Standard Issue, would they fit without much/any modification? TBH I'd prefer the scissors from a 91mm model with the nail nick on the "correct" side, but how would you then do the back spring?
I've read somewhere in this forum that the backspring from a 93mm solo would work well for scissors... just enlarge the pivot hole on the scissors.. maybe do a little mod to the backspring so that scissors would sit well...If my memory serves me right...

not to sure how to peen a hollow rivet though... adding scissors layer would make the SI thicker, a new custom bail would be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 02:40:42 PM

I've read somewhere in this forum that the backspring from a 93mm solo would work well for scissors... just enlarge the pivot hole on the scissors.. maybe do a little mod to the backspring so that scissors would sit well...If my memory serves me right...

not to sure how to peen a hollow rivet though... adding scissors layer would make the SI thicker, a new custom bail would be required.

Yes I peening the hollow rivet and creating a custom bail could be the tricky parts...
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 09:58:55 PM
The peening is quite tricky. I used a fluted driver bit to widen the rivet - very slow and painstaking process - I had 3 rivets and the first one cracked after a while, but the second one worked. I think I still have a stainless steel one if you want it (a kind member here made them up for me). I will measure it to see if it's long enough for what you want. (That's what she said).

The bail is straightforward enough. I used wire from a coat hanger - pliable but strong. I was pleased with the results and it's stood up to some proper work so far.

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 10:36:50 PM
I can't remember if yours is a Wenger or a Vic, magentus.  I have a feeling that the hollow rivet in the Wengers is larger than the pin on the Vic - something tattosteve said a while back - but I've not taken one apart to check.

Either way, it should be reasonably straightforward to do - might just need to drill out the scissors pivot to suit.  And source a hollow rivet ...

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 10:41:03 PM
The peening is quite tricky. I used a fluted driver bit to widen the rivet - very slow and painstaking process - I had 3 rivets and the first one cracked after a while, but the second one worked. I think I still have a stainless steel one if you want it (a kind member here made them up for me). I will measure it to see if it's long enough for what you want. (That's what she said).

The bail is straightforward enough. I used wire from a coat hanger - pliable but strong. I was pleased with the results and it's stood up to some proper work so far.

Thanks, sounds like the mod might be a bit advanced for me currently, but maybe for the future...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 12:22:01 AM
Yes the wenger hollow rivet is 3.5mm vs standard rivet of 3mm.   

The mod is possible for sure, but making the hollow rivet is a pain. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 02:41:03 PM

That's a shame, a Soldier/Standard Issue on a bail with scissors would be pretty much an EDC "grail" for me...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 02:48:08 PM

That's a shame, a Soldier/Standard Issue on a bail with scissors would be pretty much an EDC "grail" for me...

It could be done but I think the easiest would be to peen a rivet then machine a conical hole on each end.   Or would it need to to all the way through.  Either way that should work.  Finding a good bail material is harder as it should be made of spring steel or I guess Ti rod.  You don't want it to bend once it's installed.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:50:43 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 03:04:22 PM

It could be done but I think the easiest would be to peen a rivet then machine a conical hole on each end.   Or would it need to to all the way through.  Either way that should work.  Finding a good bail material is harder as it should be made of spring steel or I guess Ti rod.  You don't want it to bend once it's installed.

I don't think the hole would need to go all the way through as long as the machined holes would deep enough for the bail to be a secure fit. I agree you don't want the bail to bend once fitted, Titanium would be nice...

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 09:21:29 PM
Bicycle spokes work great for bail material.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,63965.0.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:23:27 PM by SteveC »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69