Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How many of you carry a folder in addition to a multi ?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
How many of you carry a folder in addition to a multi ?
on: December 08, 2006, 12:03:03 AM
Multi's are the general practitioners of the cutlery world . They aren't at their best for some knife chores . What else do you carry . For me it's usually a Spyderco , or a Strider PT ( a little knife that can play with the big dogs ) .

Chris

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: How many of you carry a folder in addition to a multi ?
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 01:02:05 AM
I carry a Buck.  Usually a Rush.  Plus I've always got the Minibuck in my cell phone holster.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 02:53:46 AM
I usually carry a Spyderco Native, an old original Spyderco Delica, or a Victorinox One Hand Trekker.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 02:58:25 AM
I gave up on single bladed folders long ago.  I do however always pair a multi with a SAK though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:12:11 AM
I'm not ready yet to take that step. My endura lives in my pocket
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 03:36:28 AM
Def. , my bitch with SAK's is zero deffensive ability , no lock , and ho hum blade performance . Offset by easy sharpening , and the ability to take a deviant edge for a short while . I love em dearly , own a bunch - particularly Alox , have em in all my kits . All that said , I dont EDC them since I discovered Multis.

Chris

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 03:51:41 AM
Actually, there are a few one handed opening models and numerous models with blade locks. 

I don't need a knife for defensive purposes, and if I ever did I'd use whatever I had handy, be it SAK, multi, flashlight, pipe, branch etc.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 05:15:00 AM
Anything from a Spyderco Native/Endura to a Kershaw Leek or Storm II

David

Offline damota

Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 01:59:00 PM
I usually EDC a Spyderco UK non locking folder but I also got a CRKT Edgie recently to try out (really just to see how it is built) so I now swap them round a bit. I always have my Cybertool with me but apart from stripping a wire or two would never use the knife blades seriously.

Dave

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 02:02:33 PM
Def. , my bitch with SAK's is zero deffensive ability

That's why they invented 9mm's - "NEVER take a knife to a gun fight" old Polish proverb.

I EDC a Spyderco Alemite R2 PE and use the pocket clip as a money clip  along with my SOG S62 ( soon to be modified with 3 blades and scissors ).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 02:06:47 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline Lion

Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 02:04:20 PM
I carry 2 or 3. Curently my two main knives are a Queen Mountain Lockback and a Queen Tear Drop Liner Lock. If I'm carrying my KF4 instead of my Charge, I add a Vic Compact for the scissors. If I'm carrying my Charge I often add a Vic Soldier for the awl.

Leo

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 07:06:57 PM
My Vic Swisstool is always paired with another Vic SAK  :)  When I go out to Sea I still have the Swisstool and SAK but also take a Spyderco Atlantic Salt . I think its important to have another SAK along with my Swisstool because I often need to hold something with pliers then use a knife / screwdriver etc. at the same time .As to which SAK ? well that can change without notice at any time  ::)  Mostly at work its a Swisschamp because I feel that with it and the Swisstool I have most things covered , but at home it maybe a Soldier a camper , climber , OHT , whatever takes my fancy really .

Dunc

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 08:53:59 PM
I carry a Kershaw Blur S30V along with my Leatherman Charge.

On occasion I'll switch out my Kershaw with a Benchmade Mini-Grip.

us Offline MrCoffee

• Coffee and Multitools - Proof there is a God.
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 09:11:32 PM
Most of the time I have a Kershaw Cyclone Mini on me, but regardless of if I have my Multi-tool or not I always have my SAK Trailmaster. Always. Locking main blade, it is a very useful defensive knive, but it has all the items I normally need during my workday.

There are times when my employeer objects to me having a sheath on my hip, and at that point the Trailmaster (it is like a Fireman or a OH Trekker without the OH) goes into my pocket.

S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 09:19:45 PM
I carry a Leatherman C305 along with my SOG Powerlock.  It's a great utility knife with Phillips and flathead drivers readily accessable.
[

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 09:22:48 PM
I usually just carry one multi, and figure that it'll cut whatever I need. Some rare days I'll just carry my Delica 4 or even my new Ladybug (heresy!  :o). The only time I really feel like I need to carry a seperate knife and tool is when I'm outdoors or something else where I could be in trouble if I lost one or the other. Also, when I'm outdoors with other folks, I've often lent out a few knives/tools, so extras is a good thing.  ;)

Offline psul71

Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 03:16:56 AM
Whenever I carry my Victorinox Spirit, I always carry a Spyderco Delica 4. The Delica is a perfect companion to the Spirit. With the two of those I have pretty much everything covered. On days that I don't carry a multi, I carry a Victorinox Farmer.

psul71

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 03:49:36 AM
I like Spydercos, but I'm at the point now where I wonder what the point is- and no smartass comments about the point being the sharp bit on the end! :P

What I mean is I am so used to carrying SAKs that tactical or utility folders just seem so... useless.  Sure it retains an edge better than a SAK and cuts smoother than most multis, but they tend to cost more and they don't usually do anything else.  Seems like an awful waste to me.

Def

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 04:25:40 AM
I like Spydercos, but I'm at the point now where I wonder what the point is- and no smartass comments about the point being the sharp bit on the end! :P

What I mean is I am so used to carrying SAKs that tactical or utility folders just seem so... useless.  Sure it retains an edge better than a SAK and cuts smoother than most multis, but they tend to cost more and they don't usually do anything else.  Seems like an awful waste to me.

Def

I go through phases like this too, I spent a few months carrying only my Victorinox Soldier and a flashlight before finding my way back to the wonderful world of "tactical" knives. The thing that brought me back was that singularity that those kinds of folding knives have, you don't need to flip the knife around to find the nail nick or dig into your pocket to get to the multitool. It's kind of always there, ready to do the same one thing it always does. Another big factor was the general ergonomics of the things; when I walked around with just a SAK I was a student and didn't really do too much that required cutting things quickly or awkwardly. Then I got a job and found myself cutting items with oily hands, covered in cheese while balacing a sheet tray on my knee while someone yelled at me to hurry up over the deafening thump of Rap music.

Multis and SAKs generally don't fare well where speed and ergonomics are concerned, Multis are hard to operate when your hands are even a little slick and SAKs are a pain to open if you keep your fingernails short. This is fine because they have such a spate of other uses that they can do pretty much everything, just not as well as the dedicated instrument.

Of course you lose some of the utility that multis and SAKs have but you gain simplicity, ergonomics and generally size/weight. Then again I always carry one example of each of the above so what do I know?  ;)

To the original point: I try to pair up my Multi-tool and folding knife based on how different they can be. Example; If I carry my Leatherman Blast (straight, hollow-ground, clip-point, @3.25" blade) I would pair something like the Spyderco Dodo with it (serrated, reverse-S shaped, @2" blade) and use them accordingly (I open a box in public with the Dodo but cut my bought-from-a-guy-cooking-out-of-the-back-of-his-truck steak with the Blast because we are sitting in the back of club watching the Jazz band and no one can see us.)

I try to carry as many differently useful items as possible, although I've been slacking lately with the extreme heat here.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 04:42:32 AM
My non-tactical phase is now several years old now...

Def

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 04:58:44 AM

Def

Over the last few years I've become accustomed to having a one-hand-opening, 3-inch blade, liner-lock Gerber clipped into my right front pocket.

When I need to cut something, it's SO MUCH handier and faster to use the Gerber rather than the SAK Tinker carried inside my pocket.

Cutting with the Tinker requires reaching down into my pocket, locating and pulling out the Tinker, orienting it for the other hand to open the blade, etc.

By the time I could get the Tinker out my pocket, I could have already opened the Gerber, executed the cut, closed the Gerber, and be clipping it back into my pocket.  As a bonus, I can do all that with one hand, while the other hand holds onto whatever it is that needed cutting.

When carrying my Gerber Suspension, which I do when working out in yard, then the Gerber knife is sort of redundant because the Supension has two one-hand-opening blades.

N

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 05:02:29 AM
Modified ( since last post in 12/2006 )  SOG S62 + Spyderco R2 Alemite ( same knife )
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:21:04 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 04:14:36 AM
I'm not a die hard "tactical" guy, but sometimes I do like carrying my D4. When I add up the ease and speed of opening, strength of the blade & lock, blade steel, and ergonomics, I have to say that it is a better knife than any of my multis, in the same way that a Klien Phillips screwdriver is a better Phillips screwdriver than any of my multis. Sure I could do most jobs with my LM, but the Klien is still the better screwdriver. So if I'm in the mood for carrying a great knife, I'll probably opt for the Delica. Also, if I'm in the mood for going really light, a knife is the one tool I'll always carry.
All that being said, any of my multis (even my P4) is a much more versitle tool than the Delica, so I carry them 95% or more of the time. One thing I think is funny is that it seems to me that any decent multi with a plain edge, serreted edge, wood saw, scissors, wire cutters, and metal file will cut more things better than a $400 Sebenza (except for possibly a few instances where brute force is needed) . Although if anyone wants to trade their Sebenza for my Charge, I'd be willing. :D
Really, I like the variety of knives and tools out there, from slippies and fixed blades to Spydercos and multis, they all serve a purpose (even if some are over-hyped  :P ).

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 03:02:19 AM
I usually carry a folder in addition to a multitool.  It is usually the Case Barlow that my wife bought me for my birthday.  Although If I think that I am going to ned it I carry a Buck Strider Tariani police model. 

Offline znapschatz

Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 03:58:31 AM
Often I carry a Delica IWB when doing yard work because of the one hand opening feature, and not incidentally because it's a great knife.  I always seem to be tugging on a handful of vines or something that needs cutting right now.  It's a PIA to have to let go, open a folder two handed and gather up the material all over again. 

I tried a Charge for a while, but it didn't work out.  There were too many negatives to offset the OH feature, so I reverted to the Delica, but always paired with a multi-tool.  If I'm only carrying one, it is the m-t.  Something always comes up that needs a screwdriver, saw or something else a single bladed folder doesn't have. 

Since I much prefer multiple implements in folders, maybe I'll give the One Hand Trekker a try one day.       

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 01:19:26 AM
I am thinking of giving one of the leatherman knives a try because of the fact that it has a pocket clip and one handedness.  It also has great blade steel.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 02:28:12 AM
Yeah, they keep looking better and better to me too.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 07:49:35 PM
The one thing that will always drive me nuts about LM's knives is that they'll always be right-handed only. I know from a selling/manufacturing standpoint it makes perfect sense, but it just bugs the picky side of me to no end!  :ahhh (and I mean "picky" because I'm not left-handed  ::) ) My D4 on the other hand, a person can carry any which way they feel like.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 09:48:56 PM
That left handed thing seems to only bother us right handed people IMHO!  Lefties are so used to doing things with their off hands that I dpon't think it bothers them as much as it does us!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 09:50:05 PM
Hey, you lefties got the OHT!
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12