Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tell me about fly fishing

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Tell me about fly fishing
on: May 10, 2013, 09:49:32 AM
After being seized by a compulsion to catch fish for the table I've acquired a 9 foot, 6weight rod and I'm going to the local fishery next week. I've bait fished many years ago but this will be the first time I've fly fished. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Prone to daydreaming.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Re: Tell me about fly fishing
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:11:29 PM
Don't stand behind someone who is fly casting would be my #1 piece of advice. I've seen someone get a very stylish ear piercing from a fly. They're so lucky it wasn't an eye piercing.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:38:52 PM
I don't fly fish, but I do hang around with someone who does.  He swears he catches things, although I've never seen it myself, despite the two of us having been out more than a few times!

He seems to spend more time whipping the thing over his head than with the lure in the water.  Maybe I'm missing the point, but I always thought you'd have more luck with the lure in the water where the fish are than whipping through the air where fish generally don't congregate.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Likeablefish

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 01:29:50 PM
Where to start  :think:

Firstly you're going to love it, secondly good choice on the rod and it's wf rating.

Make sure that your line and reel match your rod, so you need either 5/6 or 6/7 for both.
If you've never fly fished before you're definitely going to need at least a few lessons and read a few books on flies and techniques. It takes many hours to get the hang of and a lot of patience.

What make rod do you have? And on the back of the ear piercing comment it's a good idea to debarb all your flies.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 09:57:03 PM
The rod is a Shakespeare Sigma. Thanks for the replies - I'll let you know if I catch anything :)
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 10:26:46 PM
Technique technique technique. Practice the fly rod at home using a lure without a hook. It's an art form. Getting the fly to land on the water while making it look like a real bug landing is the hard part. Practice. It's very relaxing to fly fish as you do need to be quiet while doing it :)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%