Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sailing trip - help me choose.

gb Online Crunchie64

Sailing trip - help me choose.
on: March 17, 2024, 04:30:31 AM
In April I’ll be spending a week sailing on a 120 year old wooden ketch, a 115 foot long tall ship.

I’ve never sailed before and I’m going as a paying passenger, not a crew member. Even so, it seems like an unmissable opportunity to put a Leatherman or two to work, but without looking like the ocean-going equivalent of Rambo.

A serrated one-hand opening blade seems obvious, but what to carry?

My favourites from my collection are pictured, with the Crunch included as a wildcard because… well, because a Crunch makes everything better.

IMG_1883.jpg
* IMG_1883.jpg (Filesize: 388.5 KB)

Pictures are the Crunch, Skeletool RX, Free P2, Free P4, and Surge, alongside my only Spyderco, a Rescue.

I’d love to hear thoughts, advice, pros and cons, and suggestions from you all.

Two last complications - while I normally live in jeans, I don’t think they’ll be suitable for a week at sea, so I don’t know if I’ll be wearing a belt, and I will be using trains in the UK to get back to my car after the trip, so carrying everything in the picture and a couple of sheath knives is probably out of the question.

Help a Leatherman user out!

us Offline FinneganMckinney4000

Re: Sailing trip - help me choose.
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 05:00:02 AM
Even though the surge is my favorite, it’s heavy.

The crunch is also cool…  but none of the tools are one hand accessible and it’s slow to open.

I have never liked the free series (until the arc) so it’s best to ask an unbiased opinion.

I think the RX is best, light weight, none Rambo-esk, easy serrated blade, and just fits the situation in my opinion. :tu:

Excited to sea (get it) how this trip goes . :woohoo:

gb Online Crunchie64

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 05:31:20 AM
Thanks, I’m pretty excited too and there will definitely be photos.

If I do take the Crunch, it will be as a backup.

At the moment I think the most likely combinations are either Spyderco and P2, Spyderco, Skeletool, and Crunch, or Spyderco and P4.
Any of those will give me two easily accessible serrated or combo blades for emergencies as well as a few other useful tools.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 09:11:54 AM
Many chandlers in the UK carry the Wave as a standard stop item, so I am thinking that is is well received amongst (at least the UK) sailing community.

Have you considered the Victorinox model with the marlin spike and large serrated blade? You would get a better and more stainless blade for your money and then buy a decent pair of pliers to compliment it.

gb Online Crunchie64

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 10:47:45 AM
I already own all the tools in the picture, so should be able to get by without spending anything.

I do wonder if the Wave+ is still so popular because of the advertising, not actually on merit. People buy it because they’re told it’s the best selling multi tool, so it continues to be the best selling tool and so on.

If the Free P4 serrated blade was positioned to open naturally right handed, I think it’d be an obvious choice. As it is, maybe the Spyderco Rescue and/or Skeletool, with the Crunch in my bag as backup.

I’ve got a month to procrastinate and decide, so all suggestions welcome. I’ll take a look at the Victorinox - is it the Skipper Pro you meant?

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 01:14:33 PM
Cut bait and go with the Victorinox skipper pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 01:25:31 PM
Raced 12m sailboats when I was in high school. Based on my limited experience I would recommend sun screen above all.

Don’t ask me how I know.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 02:00:16 PM
I already own all the tools in the picture, so should be able to get by without spending anything.

I do wonder if the Wave+ is still so popular because of the advertising, not actually on merit. People buy it because they’re told it’s the best selling multi tool, so it continues to be the best selling tool and so on.

If the Free P4 serrated blade was positioned to open naturally right handed, I think it’d be an obvious choice. As it is, maybe the Spyderco Rescue and/or Skeletool, with the Crunch in my bag as backup.

I’ve got a month to procrastinate and decide, so all suggestions welcome. I’ll take a look at the Victorinox - is it the Skipper Pro you meant?

Sounds like a great trip :woohoo: I hope all goes well and you never need anything but if you do I think any of those combinations will work :tu:

On the topic of the Wave, it is advertised as the best because I think it is close to the top :cheers: The Wave/Charge platform is very versatile and I believe it deserves the praise  ;) but of course YMMV and that is my opinion  :D I really don't care for the tools of the Free series (the ARC is the exception of course :cheers: )

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 03:07:11 PM
Hello Awl
Sounds like a cool trip.
My suggestion would be to take an MT with a laynard ring  to attach a laynard or safety line to. LM's do not float very well. 

:cheers:
Semper Sitienti !!

gb Online Crunchie64

Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 03:19:08 PM
On the topic of the Wave, it is advertised as the best because I think it is close to the top :cheers: The Wave/Charge platform is very versatile and I believe it deserves the praise  ;) but of course YMMV and that is my opinion  :D I really don't care for the tools of the Free series (the ARC is the exception of course :cheers: )

I definitely agree that it all comes down to opinions and personal preferences, that’s why I enjoy reading about everyone’s experiences on here.

I’ve bought a lot of Leathermans over the last few years, and none of them are perfect in every situation. Some are too expensive to risk losing, some are too big or too small for certain tasks, and some have unique features that are really handy occasionally, but not the best for all round use (looking at you, Crunch!)

I’m still a month away from the trip, so really hoping to hear more pros and cons for particular models, as well as excellent tips such as the lanyard one above 👍

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 03:37:24 PM
Hello Awl
Sounds like a cool trip.
My suggestion would be to take an MT with a laynard ring  to attach a laynard or safety line to. LM's do not float very well. 

:cheers:

I definitely was thinking that as well and ultimately forgot to put it in my post :oops:

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 03:52:46 PM
I’ll take a look at the Victorinox - is it the Skipper Pro you meant?

Yes it is - it has a good solid Marlin Spike and Vic's well proven single handed opening serrated blade

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 08:20:00 PM
If a PASSENGER, what will the advantage be to have your own tools?

Do they have training?   Sailor training, rigging masts, splicing rope, knot training, meal prep, etc.

I look into sail boat excursions back a few years, they were passenger, visiting small ports on islands not visited by the cruise lines.

They restricted anything sharp and shiny, any items needed for classes or experiences would provided.

Just curious about your adventure! 

PS: Now I’m to old to enjoy that size ship and being tossed around the unforgiving North Atlantic.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

gb Online Crunchie64

Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 08:44:21 PM
If a PASSENGER, what will the advantage be to have your own tools?

Do they have training?   Sailor training, rigging masts, splicing rope, knot training, meal prep, etc.

I look into sail boat excursions back a few years, they were passenger, visiting small ports on islands not visited by the cruise lines.

They restricted anything sharp and shiny, any items needed for classes or experiences would provided.

Just curious about your adventure! 

PS: Now I’m to old to enjoy that size ship and being tossed around the unforgiving North Atlantic.

I’m going to be one of about twelve or fifteen paying passengers on board. I think it’ll be very different to a big cruise ship run by a massive corporation.

The beauty of the trip is you get to be involved as much or as little as you like. Passengers can take part in watches, learn to navigate, do rope work, haul sails, everything. They can also choose to just relax and enjoy the scenery.

Having a good sharp blade seems like a minimum in case of emergency, but I’m happy to admit none of the tools I take are likely to be needed.

gb Online Crunchie64

Reply #14 on: March 17, 2024, 08:46:57 PM
Yes it is - it has a good solid Marlin Spike and Vic's well proven single handed opening serrated blade

I didn’t realise they’d switched to liner locks for their bigger models. I’ve got a what I think is called a Rucksack, probably close to 30 years old, which has a sliding grey plastic release in the middle of the back scale to release the blade. Not serrated or one hand opening, but a well built knife.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #15 on: March 17, 2024, 08:57:43 PM
Yes, that is the same as I looked into about 10 years ago!  Hands on involvement, be part of the crew or 100% pampered passenger.

Just, Caribbean ports on smaller islands,  snorkeling and beach time without the crowds.  I was in, my wife not so much.   Iirc eight cabins for passengers, 16 total.

Have fun!

‘Adventure tours’ is group sponsoring travel n

Hope yours is as good!

gb Online Crunchie64

Reply #16 on: March 17, 2024, 09:17:06 PM
Yes, that is the same as I looked into about 10 years ago!  Hands on involvement, be part of the crew or 100% pampered passenger.

Just, Caribbean ports on smaller islands,  snorkeling and beach time without the crowds.  I was in, my wife not so much.   Iirc eight cabins for passengers, 16 total.

Have fun!

‘Adventure tours’ is group sponsoring travel n

No cabins on this one - the cargo hold has been converted into a sleeping and eating area for passengers with curtained off bunks down both sides.

IMG_1887.jpg
* IMG_1887.jpg (Filesize: 125.47 KB)

IMG_1888.jpg
* IMG_1888.jpg (Filesize: 404.93 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 17, 2024, 11:57:00 PM
I don't think I'd bring any Leatherman on a sailing trip. Out of the major manufacturers (Vic, LM, and Gerber) they're the most rust prone in my experience. I've had them rust noticeably on an afternoon plumbing job, let alone exposure to salt water. Even if you like a P4 more than a Swisstool or an MP600, I wouldn't want to worry about my tool that much. A beater MP600 would be more likely to survive, and be cheaper if it's a loss.

gb Online Crunchie64

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2024, 06:19:57 AM
I don't think I'd bring any Leatherman on a sailing trip. Out of the major manufacturers (Vic, LM, and Gerber) they're the most rust prone in my experience. I've had them rust noticeably on an afternoon plumbing job, let alone exposure to salt water. Even if you like a P4 more than a Swisstool or an MP600, I wouldn't want to worry about my tool that much. A beater MP600 would be more likely to survive, and be cheaper if it's a loss.

If it gets wet enough for long enough that it rusts, it probably won’t matter to me - I can’t swim!

I’ve got a Swisstool that I bought used and it wouldn’t solve the problem. I bite my fingernails, so the only way I can open the blades and tools is by using another tool.

Ultimately, I guess if I do need it in an emergency situation it’s best to have a tool I’m already familiar with so I don’t fumble it, so the Skeletool wins. Also easiest to open left handed if I need to (along with the Spyderco).

This would all be so much simpler if I only had one Leatherman!

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #19 on: March 18, 2024, 05:28:14 PM
Since the Surge is so big and heavy and you might be wearing shorts or trunks, I'd say the best combination would be the Spyderco and the Crunch. However, it would be a shame to lose the Crunch or have it rust.

As someone who rethinks things to death, I'm glad I don't have to make this decision.  :rofl:  Regardless of what you take I know you'll have fun. The boat looks great!

Craig
PST edc 1998-Present
PST, Crunch, Surge, Wave, Rebar, Original ST, Style PS, ST300, Free T2, Curl, Mini Tool, Kick

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #20 on: March 18, 2024, 06:33:51 PM
This question has remained on my mind since reading the first posting.

Like Craig, I do overthink scenarios  until I think I have come to a solution for me.

My knife selection, first would be a Mora HD Companion in Orange.  Stainless, big enough to handle about any task from cutting line to filleting a fish.   (I have one and used kayaking , canoe trips).
My 2nd choice would be a Spyderco Salt, full serated (yellow).   Do not have but have been wanting!
And, for a plier & tool option, ST300 or Rebar in SS. Full tool set in the handle no parts to get separated and backup blades.  Nylon Sheath, I like the flat pancake model for a Rebar, think Skeletool will fit to.
And alternate plier tool would be a Skelatool version or Style.  I have seen enough situations were a needle nose maybe needed to extract a fish hook, splinter or other object, even fish bones during a meal.   I always travel with a small plier kit like a Style model.

Mount the Mora to a fanny pak belt and other items into pouch with other first aid kit. And wear crossbody if comfortable.  Otherwise around your waist if you have hips🙄

The Salt is optional, I might substitute with a SAK OHT with combo blade (I have and used), or the suggested Blue model, ? (First Mate?)

Have fun stay safe and travel lite!  Never seen a sailor loaded down with lots of possessions 🤪😎

Hope yours is as good!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%