Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Green Cadet resurrection

us Offline abd1959

Re: Green Cadet resurrection
Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 09:21:31 AM
I got mine today. I didn't know it was olive green but I love it! A pleasant surprise.

us Offline buster

Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 09:06:52 PM
Got my 2 green ones yesterday and I love the color, much more than the orange ones I got from O-stock a couple of weeks ago!  Got my first SAK just a couple of months ago and I already have 10, including 5 Cadets!   :-X

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 09:19:05 PM
Got my 2 green ones yesterday and I love the color, much more than the orange ones I got from O-stock a couple of weeks ago!  Got my first SAK just a couple of months ago and I already have 10, including 5 Cadets!   :-X

:rofl: :rofl:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 09:20:31 PM
Bah Humbug!

Still waiting for my orange ones.

Are the green ones really that nice looking? They look just so-so to me.

If there are secret stashes of orange and green cadets, what are the chances of some gunmetal?

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 09:40:04 PM
The olive green ones are alright...not the hottest looking pieces I've held.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 12:11:02 AM
Although this recent splurge of olive green Cadets is awesome, I'm sort of mad because I paid 80$ for one before they went on this huge sale, which was actually a good price for one considering it was rare. Collecting is really complicated sometimes :( I'm glad everyone has a chance to buy one now and I'm really hoping I can score some others I'm missing, maybe this is just a start  :)
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

us Offline burnside

Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 12:50:52 AM
Although this recent splurge of olive green Cadets is awesome, I'm sort of mad because I paid 80$ for one before they went on this huge sale, which was actually a good price for one considering it was rare. Collecting is really complicated sometimes :( I'm glad everyone has a chance to buy one now and I'm really hoping I can score some others I'm missing, maybe this is just a start  :)

I've found the collector's market for SAKs to be very inconsistent compared to other collectible knife markets. Weather Victorinox has a direct hand in this, or if it is the dealers (or both), there seems to be a shadiness associated with the SAK collector's market. Because you paid $80.00 for the olive green Cadet when it was "rare", and now there is this big clearance sale happening, it makes me believe the collector is definitely not a priority. I'm not saying there is some elaborate conspiracy involving these practices, but perhaps a bit of dishonesty or negligence.

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 01:01:40 AM

I've found the collector's market for SAKs to be very inconsistent compared to other collectible knife markets. Weather Victorinox has a direct hand in this, or if it is the dealers (or both), there seems to be a shadiness associated with the SAK collector's market. Because you paid $80.00 for the olive green Cadet when it was "rare", and now there is this big clearance sale happening, it makes me believe the collector is definitely not a priority. I'm not saying there is some elaborate conspiracy involving these practices, but perhaps a bit of dishonesty or negligence.

I'm a Spyderco fan too and their limited sprint runs consist of only 600 pieces. No more, no less. And they oblige themselves to never make another one similar or identical to the sprint run model, simply to protect the collectors and the value of the tool... Granted, olive green was never limited but still...

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

us Offline burnside

Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 01:08:30 AM
The olive green Cadets aren't limited, but the aftermarket dictated that they were rare. Dealers/sellers know and study the market. So when CVW released these green Cadets, I think they knew that they would fly off the shelves because they knew the collectibility of them. Is what CVW did wrong? No, of course not. Is it a little bit shady? I tend to think it is. Will I buy from them again? Absolutely! They have great deals and free super fast shipping. It is what it is.

I have been into collecting GEC knives (Great Eastern Cutlery/Northfield/Tidioute), and they also put out limited runs of anywhere from 50 to 300. Even their regular production is limited to how many they make of a certain knife. Never will a regular production run, or a limited series be released for discount prices after the initial run was released and all sold out. It's like that because GEC and their dealers know and respect the collector's market (It's their customers).

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 01:12:17 AM
The olive green Cadets aren't limited, but the aftermarket dictated that they were rare. Dealers/sellers know and study the market. So when CVW released these green Cadets, I think they knew that they would fly off the shelves because they knew the collectibility of them. Is what CVW did wrong? No, of course not. Is it a little bit shady? I tend to think it is. Will I buy from them again? Absolutely! They have great deals and free super fast shipping. It is what it is.

I have been into collecting GEC knives (Great Eastern Cutlery/Northfield/Tidioute), and they also put out limited runs of anywhere from 50 to 300. Even their regular production is limited to how many they make of a certain knife. Never will a regular production run, or a limited series be released for discount prices after the initial run was released and all sold out. It's like that because GEC and their dealers know and respect the collector's market (It's their customers).

If they release a hunter green next then I will be really pissed  :twak: Hopefully they just release new stuff from now on.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 02:08:09 AM
I heard they have a tonne of purple alox they can't get rid of. Giving purple pioneers away with every bog standard Spartan, that's what I heard... >:D

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 03:16:12 AM
Are these the Target Green cadets?  If so, it would make sense that they had some in dead sak storage.  Vic probably has a something like 5-10% overrun policy, and considering that it used to have a requirement of 5000 units for a special order (IIRC), that would be quite a few in inventory to liquidate before that taxman cometh. 

In regards to NOS-first the firstmates, then the orange cadets, damascus soldiers, and now the green cadets plus other models at CVW. I like how CVW is doing it btw, not putting up 100 at a time, but in doses.  This gives the impression of rarity, but it also gives more people the opportunity to get them.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 04:38:51 AM
Wait... First Mates? When was that?
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 08:19:28 AM
+B has some new saks with old stock saking needles.  I think he had them starting in September.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 09:13:35 AM
Are these the Target Green cadets?  If so, it would make sense that they had some in dead sak storage.  Vic probably has a something like 5-10% overrun policy, and considering that it used to have a requirement of 5000 units for a special order (IIRC), that would be quite a few in inventory to liquidate before that taxman cometh. 

In regards to NOS-first the firstmates, then the orange cadets, damascus soldiers, and now the green cadets plus other models at CVW. I like how CVW is doing it btw, not putting up 100 at a time, but in doses.  This gives the impression of rarity, but it also gives more people the opportunity to get them.

I was also wondering if these where the same green as the Target green cadet run?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 08:35:45 PM
+B has some new saks with old stock saking needles.  I think he had them starting in September.

January 2009:

http://swissbianco.ca/Newsletter/SwissBianco_NL_2009_1.htm

“A great find was a number of unusual Silver Alox First Mate SAKs, Victorinox #0.8160.26.

It looks like these were the last sacking needle SAKs made, with silver alox scales instead of the usual red ones. The red-scaled First Mates are quite rare, but these silver ones ultra-rare!

The history has it that the SAKs with the sacking needle were initially designed for farmers, but later found their use in marine applications as marlin spikes.”

Listed one more time in the August 2009 newsletter:

http://swissbianco.ca/Newsletter/SwissBianco_NL_2009_3.htm

My understanding is that the ones available today are the very few last remains of that batch.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:20 AM
I received mine today. I think this shade of green is attractive. I'm not big on bright colors though.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 423.29 KB)

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 09, 2014, 02:21:57 PM
Got mine. Excellent color choice. Yes, they seem to be liquidated old stock.

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 02:28:53 PM

So this is a large old stock  :)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #52 on: January 19, 2014, 06:12:54 PM
Yup. Its NOS.
I'm the milk man!

Offline NG VI

Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 11:19:55 PM
I like mine. 

I hope more colors keep coming out here and there, but regularly.

us Offline burnside

Reply #54 on: January 20, 2014, 10:30:18 PM
The olive green is nice.  :tu:

I just picked up a lightly used hunter green Cadet on ebay..looking forward to it's arrival.   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%