Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got my tool today.

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Got my tool today.
on: April 19, 2008, 01:52:38 AM
I'm putting this in General discussion because I know alot of people have heard me rant and rave against this tool in the past, but I just got the Swisstool that a friend sent me, and I have to admit, I was wrong.  Like I said, it was my first multitool, and I never had anything to compare it too, but after having dabbled a bit, I now believe the hype.  This is a GREAT multitool.  Mine is well used, and it shows (the red Victorinox label is comming off, and there are scuff and scratch marks everywhere), but it's all good.  It adds to the character, you know?  Everything is still fully functional, and it is not nearly as heavy as I remember it being.  Holding them in my hand, the weight difference between my Wave and the Swisstool isn't really that great.  It's actually THINNER then my Wave and my Blast, and while a little tough, the tools aren't that bad to take out.  Granted, this is an original Swisstool, so it might be over ten years old and the springs might have given a little, but they are still plenty stiff.  One thing I noticed, though, when using the pliers.  The handles seemed a little off center.  I thought it was because alot of torque had been put on it and it bent up, but when looking at the under side of the handles, THEY were perfectly aligned.  I then measured them and one side of each handle is a little wider then the other.  Is this normal?  I thought it was a malfunction, but it appears to be by design.  I have to say, for all the times I put this tool down, and for all I may have offended with my comments, YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT!!  The Swisstool friggin rules.  Heavy, tough, pretty (even my old lady) and functional.  This just might be the KING of Multitools.
My name is Navajero316, and I am now a Swisstool addict.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:58:58 AM by Navajero316 »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Got my tool today.
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 04:36:45 AM
Took you long enough to come around Knife-User!  :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 05:40:29 AM
what a man, admit his mistakes! congrats bro :cheers:, how about some pictures!

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 06:03:34 AM
Yes, some pics if it's possible.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 08:52:24 AM
Good man, I think the Swisstool is one of those tool you need time with before it's greatness becomes really apparent :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 09:52:52 AM
Some pics would be really great . As for the handles being out of line I think I know what you mean .Let me try to explain . The side of the handle that has 1cm to 11cm measure on it is wider the the side with the red label and the same for the other handle . I took these pics in a rush coz I should be somewhere else  ::)  Hope they help

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 12:45:43 PM
SwissTool handles are not all one piece. The side panels are not all the same part as on a Leatherman for example. Notice how one side wraps under the little backspring fingers, and the other side folds on top of the first one. (if that makes sense)

So all SwissTool handles have one side that is slightly wider than the other. 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 12:50:26 PM
I'm glad you have fallen for the Swisstool in the end.  :)

And yeah, like the guys have already said, the handles are just like that.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 01:05:59 PM
The handles are however made for right handed people, the high sides are on the wrong side for lefties. Not that its uncomfortable it's just an observation.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 01:19:11 PM
That's interesting about the handles.  It's something I hadn't noticed first ime around.  Good to know.  If they are all like that, I wonder if there is a practical/functional reason behind it

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 01:42:51 PM
I dunno  ???

The Spirit is made that way too, so there is probably a reason. :think:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 02:10:34 PM
Swisstools are funny things , its easy to take them for granted but you soon miss them if you dont have one with you .

Dunc

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 12:14:39 AM
I used mine today at work a ton.  From using the pliers to take apart animal enclosures, to the knife for cutting up lunch, my Swisstool saw alot of action, and it performed like a champ.  Funny, I was worrying about scratching it up and all, but then remembered this particular tool is about ten years old, and still looks good.  I rubbed the red label off the side, as it was all chipped and faded when I got the tool, but other then those scratches that I put on the handle, it looks great.  I was definietly wrong about this tool.  After having a Wave SOG Power pliers, and Blast, it feels so thin.  A little heavy, but not the huge, obtrusive tool I remembered.  I haven't been this excited about a tool since I got my Wave and it was a novelty.I am looking forward to life with this Swiss girl.   :multi:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:16:18 AM by Navajero316 »

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 06:02:31 AM
Congrats on your first MT,but I'm sure it is not going to be your last one!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 12:04:13 PM

Actually I think he has had many tools, but he has just come to his senses with the Swisstool.  :P :D
I'm back!!

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 02:04:52 PM

Actually, Smitty, the Swisstool (not this one in particular) was my first multitool, many years ago, and I didn't like it at all.  I had never had one before, so I thought it was too heavy and the tools were too tough to get out, etc.  I gave it away and have had many other tools over the years, whether owned or borrowed, and now that I have returned to the Swisstool, I have a new found appreciation for it.  It is everything I have been looking for in a tool.  To go back to your post, it's not my first, but it just might be my last.  LOL.  Although there are other Swisstool models.  And the Spirit.  Hmmmmmmmmmm....................................

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:23 AM
Multiple Spirit models....   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 12:32:14 AM
Well, I've had my Swisstool for over a week now, and man has it been put to use.  We just got a wild, 10 foot crocodile at Gatorland this week, and when it had been caught, they used some steel cables to keep it's mouth shut.  No, actually it was biting it, as it was in it's mouth when it was taped up (I have no idea why they used the cable, but there it was) and when it came time for us to release the croc in our park, one of our guys was using a $10 chinese Winchester multitool to cut the cable.  It just wasn't working.  The threaded steel was warping and twisting.  He couldn;t get any purchase on it.  So out comes the Swisstool, and snip snip, I cut the cables like butter.  I had to use more cuts, since the wire cutters on the swisstool are small, but whatever, it worked like a charm.  I then used the pliers to pull the cable out of the croc's mouth (he was still taped up so we wouldn't get killed, but with the sever ends of the cable loose, it just slid out of his mouth).  I then used the tool as in impromtu hammer to stick a protruding nail on the enclosure's door back in, and the saw to cut a piece of wood to use as a bar on said door.  I later used the screw drivers (Phillip's head and large flathead) to fix our golf cart, and the knife blade to cut up some food for lunch.  I find myself using the tool everyday, and again, it feels alot lighter then i remember it.  Also, it's slim profile makes it comfortable for me to handle.  And it's such a tank, I am not afraid to lean on it a little bit.  I am so glad to have given this tool a second chance.  It is my favorite tool to date.  Surge?  Core?  Swisstool is the ultimate multitool.  It rules.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 12:47:02 AM
WRONG! The SURGE!! is the ultimate MT!
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 02:12:00 AM
Good to hear you're getting on with it so well Navajero.

How about the blades? Is it any problem to get them open in the wet environment you work in?

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 02:57:10 AM
WRONG! The SURGE!! is the ultimate MT!
Pffft.  ::)
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 03:04:04 AM
The SURGE would take on any MT in a street fight!!  :D
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 03:08:48 AM
Navajero you should have known that by badmouthing the Surge :pok: you would incur the wrath of Leatherman123. :D

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 04:16:53 AM
To finnish the debate which is the better tool, wish LM and Vic would work together to develop a multi a SWURGE!  :multi:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 01:57:06 PM
Good to hear you're getting on with it so well Navajero.

How about the blades? Is it any problem to get them open in the wet environment you work in?

A little slippery, but not really any big deal.  It jst requires a little more care, you know?  My co-worker, who OWNS a Surge, liked the Swisstool better too.  He likes the classic looks to it, and how solid it felt in his hands.  Plus it's simpler design makes it easier to keep clean.  I am in a very wet, sandy environment all day, and sand gets into EVERYTHING.  My old Wave, and the Surge get sand in places that are a bit hard to clean.  The Swisstool, just run some water on it and it flushes away.  Not only can the Swisstool do anything the Surge can do, but it looks good doing it. 
LOL. :multi:
ALL HAIL THE SWISSTOOL!!!  THE UNDISPUTED RULER OF THE MULTITOOL UNIVERSE!!!!!
Well, maybe not undisputed, but it RULES the Surge!!!   :D

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 08:29:21 PM
I would have to disagree with you. The SURGE can fix eyeglasses, cut stranded wire in ONE cut, crimp WELL, cut thick wire with the reg. wire cutters in one cut, access tools with gloves on, and I could go on and on!  :pok:  :D :D
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 08:32:44 PM
I would have to disagree with you. The SURGE can fix eyeglasses, cut stranded wire in ONE cut, crimp WELL, cut thick wire with the reg. wire cutters in one cut, access tools with gloves on, and I could go on and on!  :pok:  :D :D

Just a shame that the weight of it means the owner can't actually move ey.  :P
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 08:33:48 PM
LOL, the SwissTool isn't MUCH lighter!!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 08:40:04 PM
LOL, the SwissTool isn't MUCH lighter!!

It is 55g's heavier.  I could carry a swisstool and a Micra and still be carrying less weight than the Surge.  :P
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 08:53:09 PM
Yeah.. I don't notice the weight at all......
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD