Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

All Hail Passover Coke!

Offline bobofish

All Hail Passover Coke!
on: April 20, 2008, 01:32:11 AM
That's right baby, real sugar coke. Not the corn syrup stuff, not the two dollars a bottle at a Mexican cantina bottled sugar coke, this is the real sugary sweet deal.
I'm the proud owner of 26 bottles. I could've gotten more, but I felt bad that somebody might be on a quest like me, so I left 20 bottles. I don't even drink that much coke, so this will keep me for a WHILE.

For those that want to know, it's bottled in cities that have lots of Jews; LA, NY, Chicago, a few others, as well as Atlanta. The bottles have a yellow cap with some hebrew writing that says "kosher for passover."

Some Costco's have the glass bottled coke that's bottled in Mexico, it is also real sugar coke.

Yeehaaw!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: All Hail Passover Coke!
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:02:19 AM
I'm a Coke-a-holic. Does this stuff taste a lot different than the regular stuff?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 02:02:56 AM
Yeah, I have always wanted to try the sugar coke!
B

Offline bobofish

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 03:10:43 AM
Oh yes.

If you're at least 30, it tastes like Coke from when you were a kid.
They switched over to corn syrup in 1985, and then the whole brouhaha started about Coke and Coke Classic, and all that nonsense. The bottom line was that real sugar coke tasted better, but Coke didn't want to go back because corn syrup was so much cheaper. Also, I could be wrong, but I think it's slightly easier to bottle partly because it doesn't ferment as fast, or something.

It doesn't have that cloying sweetness that corn syrup has: it's a little...I don't know...sharper, cleaner and has a tiny hint of citrus. It also doesn't have that sickening aftertaste that you get when you drink a lot of corn syrup; it goes down, and then there's just a hint of coke in your mouth, and you are refreshed.

I find that after I drink one glass of the sugar coke, I'm satisfied, whereas with the regular coke I feel like I need another and another to feel like I had a nice drink.

Again, your local Costco probablly has the Mexican bottled coke with real sugar (but a lot of people swear that glass bottles taste better too), but the Passover coke is available in 2 liters once a year around passover, because Jews can't consume corn products during Passover.

Offline bobofish

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:14:10 AM
By the way, real sugar Pepsi is awesome too, but I'm not sure they offer Passover Pepsi in that many places, certainly not that I've seen in LA or in Oregon.
My wife couldn't figure out why the Pepsi tasted so awesome in Europe and so "meh" in the US, until I told her about the corn syrup.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 03:16:31 AM
This is very random, but, I remember they had this Blue Pepsi for a limited time that was SO good! It was the best soda I have ever tasted. Then, it was discontinued. I also liked the Hald 3 edition Mountain Dew. That is also discontinued now...
B

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 03:33:12 AM
Oh yes...If you're at least 30, it tastes like Coke from when you were a kid...It doesn't have that cloying sweetness that corn syrup has: it's a little...I don't know...sharper, cleaner and has a tiny hint of citrus. It also doesn't have that sickening aftertaste that you get when you drink a lot of corn syrup; it goes down, and then there's just a hint of coke in your mouth, and you are refreshed.

bobofish, it's obvious you're a true Coca Cola connoisseur.

Coca Cola the way it oughta be:

-sugar sweetened.

-in 6 ounce glass bottles (better carbonation than bigger sized servings and no aftertaste.)

-chilled to just a few degrees above freezing - no ice!

I remember as a kid getting the 6 ounce green glass bottles of Coke from vending machines for a nickle (that's $0.05 or 5 cents.)

I also remember New Coke, that hideous concoction Coca Cola tried to foist off on the public back in the 1980s.

Supposedly Coca Cola concocted New Coke to appease the Feds by leaving out the flavorings derived from coca plants, which have been an ingredient of Coca Cola since its inception at the turn of the last century.

N

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 08:02:58 AM
If I drink kosher Coke while eating a ham sandwich, will I explode like that girl who drinks Diet Coke while eating Mentos?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline bobofish

Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 09:20:58 AM
Only if you use challa bread on the sandwich, and then you'll only be struck by lightning.

Actually no, I've eaten challa bread ham sandwiches while drinking milk after a meal of oysters, and I'm still here to tell the story.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 04:01:59 PM
I buy the real sugar stuff as a treat at the local Mexican grocery, cheaply.
- Terry

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 05:34:12 PM
You Americans have way too much choice  :D

Dunc

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 08:16:16 PM
Thats why most of us are over weight!!!

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 08:29:19 PM
Sugar Coke! It is much better, it doesn't have the syrupy taste of american coke...

The best Coke I've ever had is Brazilian Coke. So I hear, when they first market Coke there, it didn't sell real well so they tweaked the recipe a bit. I think they might have added cinnamon or something? Anyway, it tastes great! (Especially when its like 105 deg.F outside...)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 10:03:15 PM
I used to be a Coca-Cola fiend and now and then I'd stop and get me a Coke at a local Mexican joint and get a "real" Coke but in the last few years my allegiance has changed to Dr. Pepper. Gotta have my Pepper.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline bobofish

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 12:13:44 AM
OOOH. I can only imagine the Dr. made with sugar. Never had it.
I think I may have tried Mr. Pibb with sugar when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago.

Some root beers are still made with sugar, but they're a little few and far between. For example, some restaurants brew their own rootbeer, and it is something you won't forget.

That's interesting about the Brazillian coke. I wish they would import it, so we could all try it!

It just boggles me why the soda companies won't sell a slightly more expensive line with real sugar. I even heard the CEO of Pepsi talking about how great real sugar Pepsi is a few weeks ago, but she said they "have no plans" to reintroduce it in the US.
Scratch that, I know why they won't sell another line with sugar; people would only buy that, and the corn syrup stuff would sit idly on the shelf.

Who knows, if the Castro's finally croak, maybe we'll be able to get cheap Cuban sugar?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 04:24:49 AM
God I am old but I allways remember the old real Coke. I thankfully live in a area that I can get teh passover Coke and lve it. Now If we could only get the real Dr. Pepper from Texas.... Now that is living.
S

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 05:08:17 AM
The best Coke I've ever had is Brazilian Coke. So I hear, when they first market Coke there, it didn't sell real well so they tweaked the recipe a bit. I think they might have added cinnamon or something? Anyway, it tastes great! (Especially when its like 105 deg.F outside...)

Funny that you mention that.  I got all tweaked out on Brazilian coke once too.

Oh wait, that was different stuff...   :D ;)
- Terry

Offline bobofish

Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 12:20:26 PM
Sure it wasn't baby powder?

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 02:14:31 AM
HAHAHAHAH!
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 04:16:25 AM
I actually dislike the slightly citrus taste of Passover/Mexican Coke. Then again I've never really been a Coke person, I prefer the Gourmet Root Beers or Euro Sodas.

Offline bobofish

Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 05:21:09 AM
Imposter! Elitist! Snob! How dare you enter my thread and spew such filth!
(I also like those)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD