Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Game Over, SOG wins

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Game Over, SOG wins
on: May 21, 2013, 05:42:27 PM
In the multitool world when someone asks "Who's yer daddy?" there's really only one real answer... and no, it's not Tim Leatherman, despite him having started it all.  Let's face it, size matters, and SOG has you covered with the BlackTip.

You may have seen the comparison pics that Bob posted a while ago showing the size of this behemoth compared to other tools, and you may have seen that this very month we are giving one away, but pictures won't get you ready for the sheer size of this thing when you hold it in your hands!

This thread however isn't about either size nor monthly giveaway, and I'll bet sharp eyed members already know what makes this one of particular interest.  For the rest of you who may not be familiar with the BlackTip, this one features the replaceable cutter inserts, while current issue models have more standard SOG type fixed cutters.  Here's Bob's pic showing the current issue BlackTip head compared to a regular SOG head:

I'd have my own direct comparison photos, except members voted against it:D  And here is a closeup of the replaceable cutters on this one, which we shall begin to refer to as a Recalled BlackTip:

The "Recalled" part of the name isn't because some spy was reprogrammed to pretend he was a construction worker and developed it, it's because this particular version was recalled.  SOG never specified to me why they were recalled, but my guess is that the cutouts weakened the head enough that the compound leverage presented a significant breakage possibility. 

Now for the obligatory patented MTO crotch shot:

While I assume these are for clamping steel or lead weights on to your line I have to say they seem like they could crush a tank, so I'd have to say they are probably pretty effective for whatever they are designed for.  Being that close to the pivot and the compound leverage means you could have probably used these to crimp closed the gash in the side of the Titanic had anyone on board had a BlackTip.

The blade and strap cutter are pretty well typical SOG fare and taken from other models like the PowerAssist and S62 PowerLock, although they are not replaceable like many models.  The other handle holds mostly typical, replaceable SOG doodads like a cap lifter, can opener, file and Phillips screwdriver, but then there is also what SOG calls a Scaler/de-hooker.  I'll refrain from my usual comments about retired prostitutes and just say that it's well made, so I'd hope it would work well enough for what it's designed for.

At any rate, if you are looking for a giant multitool, the BlackTip may be for you.  If you are a collector, finding and obtaining a recalled BlackTip with the cutter insert is pretty much an absolute necessity.  Don't say I didn't warn you!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Game Over, SOG wins
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:14:46 PM
Oh that looks so cool! I really do have to get one of these badboys to do the SOG part of my tool collection justice. :D

Thanks for the pics!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:21:21 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:20:03 PM
Damn you boss man, why did you have to do such a good sales job ? this morning i'd never even heard of them  :rant: now i want one  :gimme:
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:24:51 PM
That really is the Daddy! :o
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 06:42:58 PM
Damn you boss man, why did you have to do such a good sales job ? this morning i'd never even heard of them  :rant: now i want one  :gimme:
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

You could win a normal one, but you'd need to make one heck of a donation to convince me to switch it to this one!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:49:36 PM
I assume the pliers may be big but the inside tools will be the same size as the smaller SOGs, as is usual with SOG. I wish they will deviate a bit from the interchangeable system they have and produce some larger tools for their standard, powerxxxx line.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:04:21 PM
The knife blade is bigger.  It's still not as big as it could be, but it is the bigger blade taken from the PowerAssist.  Also, the blade handle is a lot of wasted space on this one as it has the same lock mechanism as the PowerAssist, but it doesn't have the spring assisted blades, which means all the space reserved for the spring assist module is just open space on the BlackTip.

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:39:06 PM
The knife blade is bigger.  It's still not as big as it could be, but it is the bigger blade taken from the PowerAssist.  Also, the blade handle is a lot of wasted space on this one as it has the same lock mechanism as the PowerAssist, but it doesn't have the spring assisted blades, which means all the space reserved for the spring assist module is just open space on the BlackTip.

Def

Oh thats interesting, so really something could be modding in there to use up that space.... hmm.  Now I really gotta get one of these.   :think:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:46:30 PM

Def

I'd count that as a plus cause if it had the spring assist module it would be illegal to carry in most of Europe and a lot of other countries around the world too. Like this I can own one. :gimme:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 08:20:39 PM

Def

I'd count that as a plus cause if it had the spring assist module it would be illegal to carry in most of Europe and a lot of other countries around the world too. Like this I can own one. :gimme:

Also the spring assist is kind of awkward to use anyhow. Its not my fav feature of the powerassist at all, but I still had to get one to fiddle with. :D

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 08:33:05 PM
got one on the way and it's more sleepless nights because of this thread...yes SOG is truly the king! FOREVER STRONGER THAN ALL! :ahhh
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:57 PM
Dammit Def, you pushed me over the edge, so now I have to join in on this one..  :twak: :twak:
Be sure to remove that dang OH blade if I win the draw..  ;) :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 10:18:17 PM

Def

Also the spring assist is kind of awkward to use anyhow. Its not my fav feature of the powerassist at all, but I still had to get one to fiddle with. :D

Yes, I agree, the PowerAssist is a bit too complex for it's own good.  I just wish SOG had put something else in there to fill up the space.

Def

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 01:07:32 AM
I've never owned a SOG product but this one just looks like the business.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 01:17:30 AM
Terry buddy, this thing is so big, if you'd have had one in the Sandbox you could have hidden behind it and saved yourself the trouble of getting blowed up!  :D

Def

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 01:28:34 AM
I wouldn't doubt that :rofl:

Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 04:40:24 AM
Nice pics! :tu: (whoa, and I'd almost forgotten how enormous that thing is!) :o
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 11:54:37 AM
Yes, it amazes me how the MUT, a large, bulky tool in it's own right is somewhat dwarfed by the BlackTip.

Def

Offline mulou

Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 06:08:08 PM
the gerber groundbreaker is quite a bit  bigger :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 06:21:35 PM
It is indeed, as is the Cable Dawg, but as neither of those fold up I wasn't considering them in the same category.  :D

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Offline mulou

Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 01:23:10 AM
no, you're right, i'm just being a smartass :p
ive a blacktip and its huge for this kind of tool

the replacable cutter are neat tho... neat neat neat

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 01:47:16 AM
It is indeed, as is the Cable Dawg, but as neither of those fold up I wasn't considering them in the same category.  :D

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

not to deviate from the Almighty Blacktip Fisherman's II..but the Cable Dawg is another mean, big bulldozer of an mt too ...hehehe
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 01:48:19 AM
no, you're right, i'm just being a smartass :p
ive a blacktip and its huge for this kind of tool

the replacable cutter are neat tho... neat neat neat

No worries- we could always use another smartass around here!  :D

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 02:57:30 PM
Better to be a smartass than a dumbass.
I really like that multi. That would go great with my SOG Vulcan.

sent from Ducttapetech's mobile device

Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 04:33:15 AM
I think I have found a folding tool that out compounds SOG on the wire cutting front  :think: :D

A Aussie made ,1943 WWII army issue Sunshine wire cutter.

Good to hear the Blacktip's blades are not AO  8) ,I have been meaning to ask that, should be legal in Oz too.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 05:49:30 AM
I think I have found a folding tool that out compounds SOG on the wire cutting front  :think: :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Good to hear the Blacktip's blades are not AO  8) ,I have been meaning to ask that, should be legal in Oz too.

Now that's some leverage Mat!¡! I'm sure they would slice through barbed wire like butter :think:

Terry

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 06:02:52 AM

Now that's some leverage Mat!¡! I'm sure they would slice through barbed wire like butter :think:

Terry it is funny when I saw the auction photos there was no scale & I thought the tool was half it's actual size  :o :o.

The manufacture 'Sunshine' was once the biggest manufacturer in the southern hemisphere mainly making agricultural equipment, they closed down some time ago. During WWII they made pliers & wire cutters. I believe this is indeed the bared wire cutter  :think:. I tried it on the thickest piece of wire I had in the shed, a chunky old coat hanger, & initially I thought 'why hasn't the wire cut yet'?. I think it was just the amount of handle movement required to cut is quite large , ie the compound leverage, especially when compared to a SOG  :D :D. I must ask a friend that has a small farm if I could try it out on some spare barbed wire  :think: :think:. I think you are right , they should eat barbed wire  :think: :think: 

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 06:06:55 AM

Terry it is funny when I saw the auction photos there was no scale & I thought the tool was half it's actual size  :o :o.

The manufacture 'Sunshine' was once the biggest manufacturer in the southern hemisphere mainly making agricultural equipment, they closed down some time ago. During WWII they made pliers & wire cutters. I believe this is indeed the bared wire cutter  :think:. I tried it on the thickest piece of wire I had in the shed, a chunky old coat hanger, & initially I thought 'why hasn't the wire cut yet'?. I think it was just the amount of handle movement required to cut is quite large , ie the compound leverage, especially when compared to a SOG  :D :D. I must ask a friend that has a small farm if I could try it out on some spare barbed wire  :think: :think:. I think you are right , they should eat barbed wire  :think: :think:

Yeah, that thing is nearly 20 inches!¡! HUGE!¡!

Sent from Endor via Schlapatok

Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 05:46:23 PM
That thing is a monster Mat!

Oh and yes, you are right about the Blacktip being legal in Oz.  Even with the safety lock disengaged there is no way to flick this thing open.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%