Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ATOM - A Tool of Multipurpose

00 Offline sdconnell

ATOM - A Tool of Multipurpose
on: May 21, 2013, 11:12:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share my new key-shaped multitool idea. Check out the product on Kickstarter. Let me know your thoughts!

Profile2_Resized.jpg
* Profile2_Resized.jpg (Filesize: 16.97 KB)
Combination_Resized.jpg
* Combination_Resized.jpg (Filesize: 27.1 KB)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:16:06 PM by enki_ck »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: ATOM - A Tool of Multipurpose
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:21:07 PM
While you have an interesting tool here, it would be nice if you introduced yourself first in the new members forum before you started asking our members for advice (and funding) of your tool.

I've removed your link for now but if you wish to advertise here, please contact Grant Lamontagne, the owner of the forum, for more information.

Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:04:33 AM
Whats with this kickstarter and one piece tool craze?  It feels like everyone trying to get rich with so-so ideas and mostly going about it the wrong way.   :think:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 12:16:59 AM
Whats with this kickstarter and one piece tool craze?  It feels like everyone trying to get rich with so-so ideas and mostly going about it the wrong way.   :think:

I agree!¡! I wouldn't waste my money on things like this. I'd rather pay someone like you to get a real tool modded to my needs or do it myself.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:53:03 AM
I want to make a new rule that anyone introducing a new tool for there own profit has to donate one tool to the mto pass around.
Defend the Hive!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:06:41 AM
I want to make a new rule that anyone introducing a new tool for there own profit has to donate one tool to the mto pass around.

Killer plan JA,very good idea!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:16:14 AM

Actually, that's not a bad idea.  I was thinking that if people wanted to use MTO as a basis for crowd funding then I think MTO should be awarded a percentage of ownership for making it happen.  90% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 01:44:00 AM

Actually, that's not a bad idea.  I was thinking that if people wanted to use MTO as a basis for crowd funding then I think MTO should be awarded a percentage of ownership for making it happen.  90% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Def

Yep since this trend seems to be continuing, might as well make an official "so you want to use MTO to crowd fund" rule.

On the topic of one piece tools in general, I get why they are a target for the crowd funding as they're pretty easy to make, and dont cost alot, but for me the value proposition just isnt there.  Hands up who never carries a tool capable of opening a bottle?  Im going to go out on a limb here and say that most if not all of us already have a means to open a bottle on us, right now.

A SAK pound for pound, dollar for dollar has more function than a one piece tool in general, for less weight and probably similar cost.  The only one piece for me that I do like is the pocket wrench II since its good for nuts and bolts that a regular old SAK cant handle.  Other than that, I haven't seen much im interested in.  Also, why does a tool have to be one piece.  Its like these are contest entries for the arbitrary restriction of make a tool that has these 20 functions, but oh, it must be ONE PIECE FOR NO REASON. :D

Not trying to sound cranky, but you have to expect criticism if your first post on a forum has the sole purpose of trying to sell me something.  I have a sign on my door that says no solicitation... as do alot of people since well, people dont generally like people trying to sell them something.

:D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:46:38 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:09:22 AM

Yep since this trend seems to be continuing, might as well make an official "so you want to use MTO to crowd fund" rule.

Not trying to sound cranky, but you have to expect criticism if your first post on a forum has the sole purpose of trying to sell me something.  I have a sign on my door that says no solicitation... as do alot of people since well, people dont generally like people trying to sell them something.

:D

Sorry to cut down your comment like this, but I wants to address this specifically.  I am in total agreement with this, and even more so than you may have initially meant.

The fact is that this community supports their own like crazy.  If you are "one of us" then there are thousands of people here that will go that extra mile to help you out producing tools, helping to refine designs and so on.  If folks really want to get the most out of the forum and promote their projects, help out the forum and the community that makes it what it is.  Hang out, share some stupidity with the rest of us, tell us all a little about yourself, and when you come up with a design, we (and I mean all of us) will fight tooth and nail to help you refine the design and get it out there. 

It's that simple- after all, we helped (admittedly not much, but we did!) one of our own get a production agreement with CRKT.  We almost single handedly support a SAK dealer and his associated charity- many kitties are alive and well because of member support.  When someone comes to me for an idea about creating a coin, we all work together to toss out some ideas, and it happens.  I dare say that making some friends here is going to be a lot more valuable in the long run than spamming this community with Kickstarter attempts.  Of course, if you are only here for a quick buck then that's great- you won't find it here.  If you are serious about doing something, I and many other people here are more than happy to throw our significant amount of resources behind it.

I'm not sure why people can't see that.  It seems pretty obvious to me... but then I know that forums are created by hard working people salving away under the thumb of someone with no talent (that would be me) and a fair bit of money in operating expenses and promotion, which means, quite honestly, that if we are going to be the target audience (which we always will be for a tool, don't kid yourself) then I think we need to have some ownership.  If folks won't be our friend then they can pay for the privilege of hanging out with us.

Just like the Shark Tank or Dragon's Den I'll help out- for a percentage.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline sdconnell

Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 03:55:16 AM
Hi Everyone,

Interesting response...

First, note that I never asked for support. I asked for feedback. This is an entire forum on multi-tools.  Why wouldn't I ask for feedback from this group?

Second, apparently, everyone here is interested in an "introduction" before asking for feedback. Well, certainly not the friendliest group based on the initial responses....

Anyway, thanks at least for looking at the tool.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:40 AM
You asked for feedback with a link to your fund raising kickstarter. An hour before you another OPT maker joined who only showed his tool introduced himself and asked for feedback. Check what responces he got. ;)

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 04:15:45 AM
Hi Everyone,

Interesting response...

First, note that I never asked for support. I asked for feedback. This is an entire forum on multi-tools.  Why wouldn't I ask for feedback from this group?

Second, apparently, everyone here is interested in an "introduction" before asking for feedback. Well, certainly not the friendliest group based on the initial responses....

When attempting to apply for a job, solicit material, meeting a stranger, or making a public statement it is always best to introduce who you are before barging in like an elephant on a peanut rampage. Proper manners and courtesy seem to elude a lot of humans anymore.

You wanted feedback, and you got it. Just not what you was wanting. Care for a peanut?  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 04:15:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

Interesting response...

We are actually extremely friendly and generous, we simply get a lot of kickstarters on one piece tools that are simply spam trying to make money off us. If you want to be in the community,  it is simply done by just talking, interacting, and generally contributing. Sorry if you got the wrong impression about us we are very kind and embrace new members. If you want feedback we would be happy to give and discuss it, if you are not here just for money. Just remember to us this came across as advertising, and whether it is or isn't, try to understand why we reacted how we did. I hope if it's right for you, that you become a contributing member here.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:18:25 AM by Nhoj »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 04:23:22 AM
Well worded, John. :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 04:55:48 AM
Well said all, I agree totally. 

This forum is an extremely nurturing community especially when it comes to development and execution of ideas.  Moreover, it's a fun place to interact and make friends. 

To the OP, being that MT.o is by definition a multipurpose tool oriented website, we get more than our fair share of folks with crazy ideas(crazy being good, that's why Tim Leatherman made it!), but for the most part the ideas come from our own members, guys(and gals) that we all know well and they know they can bounce wacky stuff off us and get real feedback.   That's not to say we don't welcome strangers, if you look at the intro section you will see a ton of warm welcomes every day. 

We have quite a few thinker/do-ers here, even one who started a sheath making company.  He's a well known member, but he happens to be one of the most creative and innovative minds out there.  He asks for feedback all the time and he is successful.  He has our full support and always has, because he contributes here weekly if not daily and sometimes hourly. 

You have not been shunned.  I would look at it more like you have been set straight.  Whether or not you have the humility to see it is in your hands(remember an entrepreneur must be humble).  I, for one, would be happy to give you my thoughts on your tool once you have shown that you won't just get what you came for and bolt.  All that means is make a few posts, introduce yourself, give some feedback to others, and hang out. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 06:37:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share my new key-shaped multitool idea. Check out the product on Kickstarter. Let me know your thoughts!

you asked for thoughts and balk at their thoughts wow just wow  :facepalm:

Hi Everyone,

Interesting response...

um seriously?? c'mon these people arent idiots you link your TOOL to your funding site jeez and thus far no one has yet stated you couldnt ask nor solicit. what was said was say hi and ask permission from the boss man if you wanted to advertise.  there was also a warm welcome along with that feedback your desired but you convinently wash over that in your sarcastic response.

While you have an interesting tool here, it would be nice if you introduced yourself first in the new members forum before you started asking our members for advice (and funding) of your tool.

I've removed your link for now but if you wish to advertise here, please contact Grant Lamontagne, the owner of the forum, for more information.

Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

reality check time. i have been an entrepenuer for 12 years and i will give you the advice that has come hard earned BE HUMBLE and BE FRIENDLY because at the end of the day you are a sales person plain and simple and no one wants to buy from a TOOL. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 10:05:43 PM
Hi there !

I wish you had asked for feedback before starting your project, sadly this happens a lot here. We get asked for thoughts too late. 

The best with your project  :tu:

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 01:38:46 AM
Hello there! I actually find your tool kinda interesting... well, while I will not use it, it will be nice to have as an addition to a one piece tool collection. Please do not be dissuaded when It comes to maybe contributing comments or opinions with our friendly folks at MTO, we might have gotten accross quite strongly, but we are absolutely a friendly bunch...maybe you can tell us more about yourself or maybe what MTs you use, or how you find these tools. this is a fun place and I guess the members are only after keeping this group fun for a long time to come.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 06:55:52 AM
I wish the poster knew how many ideas just like his we've seen lately.

we did come off a little rude but it getting to be a bit much.

maybe I should draw up a tool get it cnc,d out and start some smurf on kickstarter I need funding too. :)
Defend the Hive!!!

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 08:47:10 AM

We have quite a few thinker/do-ers here, even one who started a sheath making company.  He's a well known member, but he happens to be one of the most creative and innovative minds out there.  He asks for feedback all the time and he is successful.  He has our full support and always has, because he contributes here weekly if not daily and sometimes hourly. 

I do my part to contribute and be a part of a community that I loved and was a part of long before Skinth. Thanks Sean for the back up...now where us my hammer to break down this soap box.

Hope your project works out and you decide to stay, this place has opened up a lot of doors and I for one am never shy to show mistakes and process.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 09:45:25 AM

I do my part to contribute and be a part of a community that I loved and was a part of long before Skinth. Thanks Sean for the back up...now where us my hammer to break down this soap box.

Hope your project works out and you decide to stay, this place has opened up a lot of doors and I for one am never shy to show mistakes and process.

A lot of us have shown our projects (some get a bit into it), asked for suggestions & feedback, and made end notes for others that may want to try. We are always open for input & ideas, and sometimes we get feedback when we least expect it. Yet I do not recall once where any of us has asked for money or dropped URLs for a Kickstart thing. Some may have asked where to get parts specific items, and most of the trade for that is in private mails.

Some sell their wares, in the appropriate forum. Can only hope they are giving some kickback to the MTO admins that hosted their sales here in the forum. Am sure Grant takes care of that, or AHB.  :tu:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline SAKplumber

Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 10:38:21 PM
Hello all!    (subscribed:))

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 10:50:51 PM

Nice to see you again here. :)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 02:30:01 AM
Hey Mr Plumber :waving:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 03:12:50 AM
Pretty sure the OP bugged out.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using crapatalk two point oh.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 03:21:46 AM
Sure looks that way...

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 11:27:05 AM
Wow,
this thread totally exploded in a direction I wasn't anticipating :o
I do agree with what you all said. We are a friendly community (except to kirky) and we're awesome at giving feedback and suggestions in response to all kinds of new ideas.

To the original poster,
Just hang out a bit and get to know us. More importantly let us get to know you :-)
Then you can take full advantage of us. because you are no longer a "seller", but have become a friend.
That's how communities work.

Sent from my Mother Smurfing phone using TrashaTalk II

Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 12:10:20 PM
Or feel free to use the new Multitool.org R&D Section to get the same benefits even sooner!

Def

us Offline SAKplumber

Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 03:07:29 PM

I wish you had asked for feedback before starting your project, sadly this happens a lot here.

Exactly.  The fact is that he didn't really want any opinions or feedback.  He just wants your money.

us Offline SAKplumber

Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 03:09:35 PM

Nice to see you again here. :)
Hello:)  Thanks for having me. 
Hey Mr Plumber :waving:
Long time no see Nuphoria!   :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!