Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ATOM - A Tool of Multipurpose

us Offline SAKplumber

Re: ATOM - A Tool of Multipurpose
Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 03:16:21 PM
Sure looks that way...

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Not entirely...he just went over to see us at EDCF and pulled the same stunt. 

His advertisement thread was pulled and then he found a Member who had posted a link to it, so he used her thread as a place to post more advertisement.  The he lied about "working with a Moderator to sell through the Forum Store".  Fact was that he had been PM'd but didn't follow through. 

That conversation is still ongoing, and Sean Connelly DID, eventually, ask for details about doing that. 

We'll all see later on I guess:)

us Offline cowsmilk

• I've got your milk right here!
Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 03:35:20 PM
Yes, this kickstarter situation is very interesting indeed. I echo SAKp's comments. Hopefully we don't have continued problems from future KS principles.
I'm Moobile, Baby!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 04:33:22 PM
My favorite part is how people seem to think forums spring up naturally, and that they just exist so that people can take advantage of them.  Like somewhere out there a server is just spontaneously producing forums at no cost or effort to anyone at all for the benefit of someone who may someday have an idea involving a bent piece of metal with a notch cut out of it...

Just because Starbucks is all about coffee doesn't mean you can set up a Keurig machine in the parking lot and people will applaud your genius.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 05:05:19 PM

Just because Starbucks is all about coffee doesn't mean you can set up a Keurig machine in the parking lot and people will applaud your genius.

LOL oh thats a good one!

I like how they make something that already exists in many forms and act like they are gifting us with the invention of the wheel!  IT FITS... wait for it.. ON A KEYCHAIN... AND... IT CAN OPEN BOTTLES!!!!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline cowsmilk

• I've got your milk right here!
Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 05:08:52 PM
And, its made out of metal (angels singing in background)
I'm Moobile, Baby!!!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 06:28:20 PM
just like a little Vic Manager/Rambler and they've been around for how many years?

Def: is there a little "and this is how MT.O was born" history anywhere?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 06:44:05 PM
just like a little Vic Manager/Rambler and they've been around for how many years?

There is, and it's a long one. :) I'll go find it.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 06:49:10 PM

Here you go:

The History of Multitool.org

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 07:10:58 PM

LOL oh thats a good one!

I like how they make something that already exists in many forms and act like they are gifting us with the invention of the wheel!  IT FITS... wait for it.. ON A KEYCHAIN... AND... IT CAN OPEN BOTTLES!!!!

:rofl:

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using crapatalk two point oh.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 07:15:06 PM

LOL oh thats a good one!

I just dont get it.  If he raises the 40k! hes after, there is more wrong with the world than I thought.   :rant:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 08:45:13 PM

LOL oh thats a good one!

I just dont get it.  If he raises the 40k! hes after, there is more wrong with the world than I thought.   :rant:

I agree.  Someone makes a key shaped prybar and call themselves a tool designer.  I guess that means I'm a prototype oilfield parts designer, since I've made some parts that are only slightly different than stuff that someone else thought of.  :facepalm:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 30, 2013, 12:28:21 AM

Here you go:

The History of Multitool.org

:cheers:

Very interesting.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #42 on: May 30, 2013, 12:56:44 AM
I like to call that "Chapter 1!"

:D

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline sdconnell

Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 04:13:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments. This has certainly been an entertaining experience. Nice to see that Grant has set-up a section specifically for designers interested in feedback. So, maybe my post contributed to the forum in a small way after all! ;)

Multitools are awesome products. Sure, the market has numerous variations, but there is always room for iterative design and innovation. Great to see a supportive forum that embraces new designs and encourages individuals to contribute to the industry.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:59 AM
Great to see you back!   :salute: :salute:

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 05:41:34 AM
For what its worth, I think the tool is a nice original design.  :tu: Refreshing for a change. Personally I find it to be a bit too boxy and the pry tip is too thick to be useful as a screwdriver. Don't feel bad, even the awesome Leatherman Brewzer suffers from the same problem. I profiled mine using a scotchbrite wheel on my grinder and the tool is much more suited for use as a screwdriver.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

00 Offline sdconnell

Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 01:53:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. One-piece multitool designs are always a balancing act. For instance, the tip on the Brewzer is great for opening boxes, but precludes application as a Phillips head screw driver. I appreciated the overall design of the Brewzer and carried the tool around for several months. However, I never found it to be particularly useful.

I thought the Gerber Shard was really nice. The actual Philips head screw driver is very practical. Plus, the pry bar on the Shard is perfect. The bend at the tip provides a great deal of leverage. Unfortunately, that same bend makes the screw drivers incredibly awkward. The tip is a bit fat too.

ATOM has a great set of screwdrivers. The dimensions match the actual 1/8 and 3/16 screw driver counterparts. The limiting factor is having both the screw drivers next to each other...that makes counter-sinked screws difficult to reach. However, most screws you encounter on a daily basis are raised or flush. ATOM's pry bar is not as good as the one on the Shard. The limited leverage makes pulling out larger nails a little more difficult. I found the pry bar to most useful for opening paint cans and things of that nature. However, you can pry up smaller nails in a serious situation with a bit of patience. Part of the balancing act!

Overall, my biggest complaint about commercially available one-piece multitools is the manufacturing quality. Most of the tools were simply stamped, bent and then maybe coated. The products never incorporate any features that require a higher manufacturing demand. To me, that's an obvious ploy to invest the bare minimum and seek the maximum return. That's the beauty of products created by an individual. The bottom dollar or the margin is not a big concern, which allows for a greater investment in quality.

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 10:59:56 PM
While we're talking about OPMT's can I give some feedback on your design?

I feel like the ATOM offers good functionality, though bottle openers are plentiful, a file isn't and the ripping tool looks really nicely made.

On the other hand, you put the biggest wrench in the middle which provides less leverage than when it would've been put on the outside. Also, the bottle opener is on the keyhole making it really awkward to actually open bottles when it's on your key. I'm sure you are aware of this as the ATOM is always off your keychain in your promo video. Lastly, I would never use a ruler of that size, and the markings make the tool look mass produced (cheaper).

That said, congratulations on reaching your goal. Even though I don't entirely agree with the compromises you made I think it's a very interesting OPMT.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 02:23:06 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments. This has certainly been an entertaining experience. Nice to see that Grant has set-up a section specifically for designers interested in feedback. So, maybe my post contributed to the forum in a small way after all! ;)

Multitools are awesome products. Sure, the market has numerous variations, but there is always room for iterative design and innovation. Great to see a supportive forum that embraces new designs and encourages individuals to contribute to the industry.

:cheers:

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

00 Offline sdconnell

Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 02:21:12 PM
Thanks for that feedback.

The order of the hex wrenches is common feedback. Several of the campaign backers have made similar suggestions. I agree, putting the largest wrench at the tip would provide the most leverage. I'm not sure how much leverage you would really need though on a pocket tool.

Could you elaborate on the comment about the markings? What in particular makes the markings look cheap (i.e. font, engraving method, size, etc.). That feature is incredibly easy to adjust.

The bottle opener is still functional/convenient on the keychain. The keys were removed for the promo video to draw attention to the product and remove distractions. However, I saw some pictures of keychains from the forum members....some of them look monstrous! So, yes, larger keychains would inevitably become cumbersome and reduce the convenience of the bottle opener.

The comment about the rulers was perfect. I get a lot of heat from fellow engineers about using a 1 inch ruler on my keychain.

The greatest attribute of crowdfunding is the opportunity to immediately connect with the customer. Kickstarter has been a great experience because someone can back the project and then give you direct feedback about features they would like to see in the product. Plus, everyone can make comments about additional products, like a metric version for international backers.

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 04:33:40 PM
Points taken. The bottle opener comment indeed is from a perspective of a more loaded keychain in that case the keyring hole would probably be better off at the other side, depending on whether you intend to pry more or open more bottles. I know the answer for me  :drink:

When it comes to markings and things looking cheap let me take the following example. The swissbianco keychain tool: mass produced version vs non-mass produced version.

Another example, how about the KERT: mass produced version vs non-mass produced version.

Point is really (and logically so) as soon as something gets mass produced you get these markings for things, like the ruler and the protractor on the ATOM, that for me just make it look cheaper. Now tastes differ, but for instance stamps give OPMTs so much more character and make it feel like something special: stamped Atwood. But if I had to choose, even no marks at all I would prefer. Which is really ironic because the markings give more functionality (for instance the ruler) but sometimes less is more.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%