Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Carry Combo

Joe58 · 38 · 6294

us Offline Joe58

EDC Carry Combo
on: May 23, 2013, 03:09:23 AM
Just was kind of wondering while the wife & I watched the Masterchef premier (I know, but we like the show) if people combine their SAK carry along with another brand such as a Spydie or Benchmade type of blade.

I have many pocket clip folders which I will carry from time to time, but it seems like when I do this I'm cheating on my Vic somehow.  :D Not that these other branded knives aren't fine blades in their own right. For myself however, they seem a bit like overkill for my usual daily needs when I go with these bigger knives. And I know it isn't my problem when I take out a Spyderco to break down a box or something, it's just that I hate that hairy eyeball you seem to get from those standing nearby. I think you could take out a SAK the size of a loaf of bread and not draw a second glance. Nobody thinks twice about a Swiss Army knife. Weird.

My normal most of the time EDC is my newly modded Electrician (heaven bless alox) in one front pocket, with a Minichamp in the other pocket with a Streamlight Nano clipped to it. Always have to have the Minichamp handy.

I know it's just a matter of your perceived daily needs/tasks as to what you carry, I was just curious if most people mix and match, either on a daily basis, or perhaps you rotate your EDC monthly or something like that. Maybe a Minigrip and a Classic? Dunno.

Take care!  :climber:

Joe
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:20:44 AM by Joe58 »
🇨🇭

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: EDC Carry Combo
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:04:18 AM
I almost always have a dedicated folder on me along with a SAK and usually a multi at least nearby.  It might not always be an OHO one with a clip, sometimes it's a traditional slipjoint like a mini Trapper or a Barlow.  For whatever reason, I tend to use my SAK for the tools more than the blade.  Even in that role though, it'll see a lot of use around the store and house.  :tu:  Today, for example, I carried a Kershaw Chill along with my Tinker.  The Chill saw box duty, the Tinker's drivers, awl, and can opener all saw use at some point.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:28:54 AM
This my edc today. I switch it all the time but always a folder, multi, Sak.
CHEERS

Offline Theron

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:55:03 PM
The blades on Vic's SwissTool lineup kinda sick IMO, so I always carry a Paramilitary 2 or Mini Griptilian as well.  Don't get too many looks usually, but I do get some looks when I decide to take the Manix 2 XL out to play.  :think:

I wish Victorinox would make a SwissTool entirely out of 154CM or better.   I'd be happy to pay any premium.

us Offline Joe58

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 06:09:08 PM
I'd agree with you there Theron - a SwissTool with a more premium steel would be sweet. I usually have one handy too, in the glove box, man bag, what have you. Don't usually wear it as the things weigh a ton.

I think you couldn't go too high in steel cost though without pricing out the consumer base you are aiming for.

Theron - you also mentioned the SwissTool blades aren't up to snuff for your needs. May I ask what you've found that a PM2 will handle as compared to the SwissTool or is it just a matter of staying sharp longer. The Vic blades will get wicked sharp IMHO but do not hold an edge that well if working like on cardboard, wood, something like that.

I find other users experiences interesting and a valuable knowledge base.

Thanks!

Joe
🇨🇭

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 06:17:14 PM
My EDC is stable.
I always carry the Victorinox Minichamp and Spyderco Ladybag on my  car's  keys.
When I carry a bag (most of the time) there's my Victorinox XLT and Leatherman Surge in it. Sometimes I leave the Surge behind, but then I get it again.
I  used to carry an Opinel also, but the  Surge has two 8mm blades and there'a no need for it.
Sometimes I also put another SAK in my pocket (Harvester or Mountaineer) but that is rare now.

us Offline Jailbird

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:02:17 PM
When I started to really think about edc I bought and carried a ton of stuff. Now, a few months later, I've reevaluated what I really need. My keys have a tiny light and a Vic Classic, my large folder usually stays home, and my multitool stays in my bag. The only thing always in my pocket is a cadet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:34:34 PM
i carried a folder (cheapo smith and wesson) and cheapo MT and not much else in the past.  I always seemed to feel like i needed more options while away from my vehicle and especially when around sheeple.  I now rotate my carry and generally have a MT (new wave or skele or PPP) paired with a SAK as my main blade and either another SAK ( scissors) or a schade oldtimer or crkt toothpick.  i have acutally found i like to carry several items paired for situational use like mentioned sheeple friendly blade. the skele and PPP are smallish with the skele just looking cool so no heads turn when ive pulled it out, i dont have a large blade other than whats on the wave or skele. ive found that between the SAK and MT blades im pretty well covered.     
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:05:50 PM
I have quite a few relatively high-end folders, but for my daily use, the blade on a SAK is usually the better choice. In other words, most of the time I only carry a SAK. I suspect it's more likely the SAK is teamed up with a fixed blade than a dedicated folder.

us Offline wave180

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:31:27 PM
Blast in my bag and SAK adventurer is always on my pocket. I really love the locking blade, philips sd and slim profile combination of the adventurer. I think it is the best SAK for my daily urban life.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 12:29:04 AM
I actually mostly carry a not-too-wide SAK (max 3 layers) besides a MT for blade, especially if the MT doesn't have outside opening blades. Just because it's easier to get to my SAK blade, than to get my Rebar (or MP400, or anything like it) and have to fold it open to get the blade.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Offline TSabatine

Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 02:48:53 AM
I've experimented with a few combos in the past. Usually a leatherman wave/charge, or just a liner lock folder along with a swisschamp. After a while though i pretty much just go with the swisschamp. Usually in the black clip case. As a few others have said a full sized multi is usually near by anyhow. The swisschamp is a bit big for pocket carry but i just cant seem to leave the thing alone. It really handles almost anything i run into on a daily basis, from personal grooming to fixing a tv wall mount or more recently assembling a new filter/pump and opening the pool for the summer!  :climber:

Offline Theron

Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 02:55:38 AM
Theron - you also mentioned the SwissTool blades aren't up to snuff for your needs. May I ask what you've found that a PM2 will handle as compared to the SwissTool or is it just a matter of staying sharp longer. The Vic blades will get wicked sharp IMHO but do not hold an edge that well if working like on cardboard, wood, something like that.

I find other users experiences interesting and a valuable knowledge base.

Thanks!

Joe

Edge retention like you said.  I cut a lot of taped up cardboard and plastic, so the upkeep on the softer steel gets tedious.  Plus like some others have said, a better steel would help prevent the drivers from torqueing so easily. 

us Offline getahl

Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 06:53:13 AM
I always have my banged up sapphire Classic with me, currently on my keys with a lobster clasp. But I love my slipjoints too. Currently rotating a Carbon No, 8 Opinel, a yellow PE Pacific Salt, a Svord Peasant knife, and a Case yellow Trapper.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 12:52:55 PM
Combos are great! Here's an example of a typical combo for me and why I might carry it:

Wenger Traveller: Perfect sized pocket SAK, and doesn't upset folks who might otherwise be startled by a knife, plus locking screwdriver and serrated scissors can be less frustragint in some circumstances
Byrd Tern/Wings Slipit:Dedicated clipped OHO folder for when needing a knife when one hand is busy
Modded Gerber MP426: Knifeless multitool which supplements the SAK with OHO pliers, a file, and a 3d Phillips driver

There's other combos I've had a lot of use with in this thread ---> http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,38193.msg613786.html#msg613786

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 04:09:10 PM

Do you guys find yourself sharpening more since the steel seems to be on the softer side if you deal with cutting tape and cardboard quite a bit?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 04:40:05 PM
If I find myself doing any prolongued cutting, I'll just give it a light swipe each side occasionally just to keep it maintained and keep the edge straight. I generally prefer ease of sharpening over "super" (annoying) steels.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 04:52:10 PM
a multi tool and a single blade i prefer;

-solo & skeletool cx
-solo & swisschamp
-bear grylls scout & swisschamp

etc etc etc

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 05:00:29 PM
CHEERS

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 09:16:22 PM

I have been considering a Recruit but I am curious about the sharpness of the blade due to working in a warehouse from time to time and I do deal with cutting tape and boxes. It isn't an all the time thing but it does happen from time to time. It's either going with the Recruit or a Craftsman utility knife.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 09:27:28 PM
If you do a search on here, you'll find a video of a guy doing a cutting test with a Spartan. He starts off doing it as a joke until he discovers it out performs a super steel knife that chipped out on him ... well worth tracking down the vid ;)

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 12:13:05 AM
While mainly sticking with LM products in my EDC (Rebar & Squirt S4; KF4 & S4 or Micra etc), I've been known to change it up and swap the S4 for a Climber (one of the two SAKs that I own) occasionally. I really use scissors a lot daily.

If doing a lot of cardboard cutting, I sometimes sharpen a couple times a day. I carry a Smith's Pocket Pal in my pack.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:16:57 AM by stealth007s »
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

Offline hiljentaa

Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 01:55:07 AM
I no longer have a dedicated OHO folder, but I am thinking about remedying that situation soon.

I do have a small CRKT fixed blade that I have been throwing in my back pocket lately. It's super thin so it is not even detectable when sat upon.

Supposed to be a knife for a survival kit or something, but I've found it to be a great 'utility blade' for stuff that would bang up the edge on my typical SAK. Bought it for $5, so I don't care what happens to it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 02:13:07 AM

I have been considering a Recruit but I am curious about the sharpness of the blade due to working in a warehouse from time to time and I do deal with cutting tape and boxes. It isn't an all the time thing but it does happen from time to time. It's either going with the Recruit or a Craftsman utility knife.

i bring a recruit with me from time to time and use it for cutting plastic ( like water bottles), zip ties, vinyl screen material, and a few other things i need cut quickly.  i am no knife sharpening expert by any stretch of the imagination but if its had a long day of cutting i run across ceramic rods or a quick lap on a diamond sharpener before its next duty call.  this has kept it razor sharp and i have found that i really dont need to do it all that often either.  there are times where i do ask the little guy to cut 1/4 air hose and in that case ill do as mentioned. i love mine and it hasnt let me down so far. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline k12cop

Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 02:09:17 AM
I always have a sak and oho folder...today is an old cellidor lumberjack and Ontario rat 2...consider sak blade more as back up or for the sheeple...otherwise, most if my cutting is out, open, cut, put away...sak comes in handy mostly for the other tools because I only carry a MT on my duty belt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

us Online powernoodle

Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 03:08:03 AM
My EDC varies daily, but I always have an MT (PS4, Dime, Explorer Plus, Classic SD, etc.), and a Spyderco or similar locking folder.  I could get by just fine with something like the Explorer Plus only, but you never know when you will "need" a locking folder.  There was a thread on Bladeforums a while back where a mountain lion chomped on someone's son.  He pulled out his Spyderco Caly 3.5 (like the one in my pocket), and stabbed the animal.  I will probably never need a locking folder like that, but I would rather carry it and not need it than vice verse.

Typical knife combo:  Spyderco Military and Victorinox Manager.

Offline kamm

Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 07:22:30 PM

Had to sell that ALOX but I plan to get another when I get a chance. :)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 07:33:04 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Hey!

Welcome Kamm.

That light looks like a McGizmo.  Is the Wave Cerakote?

Offline kamm

Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 07:34:07 PM

Hey!

Welcome Kamm.

That is a Mcgizmo haiku and yes my Wave is cerakoted! She's is known by the name "Purple Rain" :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 07:36:03 PM

Hey!

Welcome Kamm.

That is a Mcgizmo haiku and yes my Wave is cerakoted! She's is known by the name "Purple Rain" :D

Nice!  That's a great light.  I have a Prometheus Alpha.  I really like it, but I've been tempted many times by the McGizmo lights.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%