Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman wave saved my butt today

jzmtl · 11 · 2114

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Leatherman wave saved my butt today
on: April 22, 2008, 03:44:37 AM
Yeah, literally, it saved my butt today.

The weather was great today so I went out for some bike riding. On my way back about 20 km away from home I felt the seat wiggling. &%#@, the bolt holding seat onto the post is lose.  :o I didn't have any hex key with me, so I can't tighten it. Of course I had a multitool in my backpack, so I took out the wave and tightened it half assed and made it home.

Just went to walmart and picked up a bike tool made by bell. It's similar to the ones you guys posted, thou not as high quality. But for 12 bucks, I'm not complaining.  :D

One thing I'm disappointed with wave is, after the jaw slipped on the bolt, one corner of the regular plier teeth is deformed and bent over, seems the steel used for jaw is perhaps too soft. Never had this happen to my pliers made of tool steel, even in much heavier duty situations. Perhaps leatherman should think about use tool steel to make jaws and hard chrome plate it to prevent corrosion.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman wave saved my butt today
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 04:11:19 AM
You didn't have the full 42 piece bit set with you? For shame.

Ah, the compromise of the multitool rears it's ugly head again. I haven't seen or had any of the large plier teeth bend on me yet but I routinely see the smaller teeth on the flats of the pliers bent and deformed from use.

Maybe we should finagle someone to make a custom plier head out of a more commonly associated tool steel and see how it performs?

Offline bobofish

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 05:18:47 AM
I've said before that I'd love to see a tool steel plierhead....for some reason other people didn't like the idea.
I understand that the steel used is a compromise, and one that works for many people; it deforms rather than snapping, and also doesn't have as much chance of mangling something that's really stuck.
With that said, I'd like the option of a nice tool steel. I think I even mentioned D-2 since it is so borderline stainless. I wouldn't even need it chrome plated, a hard coat of any kind would be fine, maybe a tini or black oxide.

Now for a little joke:
One old priest was talking to another old priest in a field while they were having their weekly picnic. A group of nuns rode by on bicycles, and when the priests yelled "hello!" the nuns just harumphed and kept riding. The priests shrugged and went on eating their picnic.
The next week, the Priests were again eating their weekly picnic together, talking the finer points of the Trinity. Finally when they were about at the end of their meal, the same nuns rode by on bicycles. They were laughing, giggling and when the priests waved hello, the nuns giggled "h-h-hello fathers! hee hee hee..."
The first priest asked the other priest why they were so cheerful this week, and the other old priest said "when I told the Mother Superior at Mass the other day about how rude the sisters were, she made the sisters remove their bike seats as penance!"

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 05:42:50 AM
I'm glad that you made it home OK,it's better than what the Nuns got in bobofish's story!!!!!

Offline bobofish

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:03:11 AM
I didn't word it right; the Mother Superior made the nuns remove the bike seats, but not the seatposts.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 06:15:51 AM
Here's another joke. 3 nun goes to confession. first nun: Father I have sinned a saw a man's privates last night. Priest: Go wash your eyes with holy water. second nun: Father I have sinned I touched a man's privates last night. Priest: Go wash your hands with holy water. Third nun was too embarrassed to talk to the priest went straight to the holy water and drank the holy water. >:D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline bobofish

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 06:52:33 AM
Nice. >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 12:29:23 PM
This kind of application is why I voted for blunt nosed pliers in the other thread- the bike seat, not the nuns!

I think you'll really dig the bike tool and find that it isn't restricted to bikes at all.  I am really a fan of using it to back up a regular, traditional type multitool.  In the situation with your boke though, you would have also been served reasonably well with the Crunch, Guppie and SpydeRench/ByrdRench, although none of those are in the same price range as the Bell tool!

The two bike tools I have, a Schwinn and a CCM, were $10 and $15 respectively, so for the cost of a bit kit, you can have a whole new tool!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 02:44:24 PM
You didn't have the full 42 piece bit set with you? For shame.

Ah, the compromise of the multitool rears it's ugly head again. I haven't seen or had any of the large plier teeth bend on me yet but I routinely see the smaller teeth on the flats of the pliers bent and deformed from use.

Maybe we should finagle someone to make a custom plier head out of a more commonly associated tool steel and see how it performs?

I agree!!!  SHAME!! :ahhh
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 09:50:08 PM
I'm with the tool-steel folks... I think we should start a petition! :D

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:20:23 AM
I'm with the tool-steel too sign me up.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%