Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Ultimate Fighting Multitool

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
The Ultimate Fighting Multitool
on: April 23, 2008, 06:01:16 AM
If someone has already linked to this, then I apologize but don't recall seeing a link for this on MTO.

The Ultimate Fighting Multitool:
http://www.donrearic.com/fightingmultitool.html

The guy's main page http://www.donrearic.com/main.html has lots of self-defense-oriented articles:
-flashlights
-close quarter combatives vs. martial arts
-knives
-survival kits
-nostalgic pocket knives
-Clyde Barrow
-self defense in Britain
-and lots more.

Check it out if you're interested in this sort of thing.

I particularly enjoyed his article on the Streamlight Stylus flashlight for self defense and his articles on knife nostalgia.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 06:05:52 AM by ringzero »
N

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: The Ultimate Fighting Multitool
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:17:18 AM
Bookmarked :cheers:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:32:12 PM
This article comes up from time to time, and often with mixed results.  It's an interesting read on it's own, but I personally find it somewhat limiting.  Basically, if you are that concerned about personal defense, then there are better carry options than a multitool.  If you aren't concerned about personal defense, but find yourself knee deep in a pile of trouble, use whatever you can get your hands on, not just a multitool.

The problem with considering any one item as a potential weapon is that it can limit your imagination in times of need.  Bruce Lee often pointed out that a guy with a knife is at a disadvantage in a fight because he only wants to strike with the blade, while his opponent was free to use his hands, elbows, knees, feet etc.

Still, it's an interesting read, and I agree that everyone should take a look at it at least.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:50:08 PM
Just stick to the Russell Crowe-you tube-Leatherman ad >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

PS---Self defence is legal in Britain?? :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 04:20:35 PM
The problem with considering any one item as a potential weapon is that it can limit your imagination in times of need.
This is true. One thing I like to do, and this may be because of my military training(or it might be my paranoia too),  is to constantly look around and see what can be used as a weapon. Also, keep several things around your house. When I smoked in the house I liked those big heavy ash trays. Of course I have my cane, and as mentioned in another thread I can also use the awl on my SAK. I am also usually very close to some pepper spray. Back when I could see good I also usually had a firearm near me too. I still have my NAA 22MAG mini-revolver ready for late night rings at the door bell. Granted it's not exactly the Hammer of Thor but at a distance of 12 inches it should do the job.

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 06:16:20 PM
This article comes up from time to time, and often with mixed results.  It's an interesting read on it's own, but I personally find it somewhat limiting.  Basically, if you are that concerned about personal defense, then there are better carry options than a multitool.  If you aren't concerned about personal defense, but find yourself knee deep in a pile of trouble, use whatever you can get your hands on, not just a multitool.

The problem with considering any one item as a potential weapon is that it can limit your imagination in times of need.  Bruce Lee often pointed out that a guy with a knife is at a disadvantage in a fight because he only wants to strike with the blade, while his opponent was free to use his hands, elbows, knees, feet etc.

Still, it's an interesting read, and I agree that everyone should take a look at it at least.

Def

I found this guy's site because I was searching for info on the Kamp King knife.  He mentions the Kamp King in an article on various knives he had as a child.

He recommends a multi for self defense mainly while on the road if you have car trouble - not as something to be EDCed for self defense.

He does emphasize using whatever happens to be on hand, at least in most of the articles that I read.

He advises being prepared by getting out of the car with a big Mag in one hand and a multi in the other other hand, in the event of car trouble in a problematic area - sound advice.

After reading through a lot of his articles, I think this guy is offering generally sound advice.

He emphasizes self defense using innocuous items capable of being EDCed anywhere - for example the Streamlight Stylus and certain heavy writing pens.  He recommends always  carrying the Stylus in the left breast pocket, for familiarity to aid rapid deployment in response to an attack.

Regarding that quote from Lee - it may have been true for Bruce Lee, but he was an exceptional individual.  I don't believe that quote is particularly helpful to most of us mere mortals.

N

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:31:56 PM
 :drool:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:53:32 PM
I don't believe that quote is particularly helpful to most of us mere mortals.

I dunno, they may not be in the best shape, but I have knees, elbows etc! 

One of the many projects I have on the go is a manual on self defense for dog attacks.  This is oversimplifying in a way, but a dog is the perfect illustration of Bruce Lee's concept, as all they have to fight with is teeth.  Sure, they are stronger (pound for pound), faster and on the whole in better shape than the rest of us, but all of that is geared towards putting the teeth on target.  Disrupt the flow of the jaws (easier said than done, I know) and the dog cannot bite you.  Take control of the teeth (squeeze the muzzle shut) and you win the fight- at least as long as you keep control.  In many cases it's the same with a knife or other weapon in a fight.  Assailants often have those instruments to intimidate and instantly dominate the opponent, and are taken unaware when the expected outcome doesn't happen.  In this manner, even though they instigate the fight, you can still work the element of surprise in your favor.

Bottom line?  Use the knife, the light, the multitool, the stick etc if it comes to that, but don't forget that you have many other options.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 08:51:31 PM
I remember this from a while back . Its difficult area this ,what with the UK laws . Yes we are allowed to defend ourselves but not allowed to carry something to defend ourselves with  ::) If we defended ourselves with a Swisstool we'd have to go through why we were carrying a locking blade as well .Most Brits dont spend anywhere near the time Americans do on this kind of thing . At the end of the day your just going to use what ever is at hand and fight like hell  :twak:
  He does have very good taste in Multitools though  :D Even if they are for very different reasons to my own .

Dunc

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 09:38:22 PM
One of the many projects I have on the go is a manual on self defense for dog attacks.  This is oversimplifying in a way, but a dog is the perfect illustration of Bruce Lee's concept, as all they have to fight with is teeth.  Sure, they are stronger (pound for pound), faster and on the whole in better shape than the rest of us, but all of that is geared towards putting the teeth on target.  Disrupt the flow of the jaws (easier said than done, I know) and the dog cannot bite you.  Take control of the teeth (squeeze the muzzle shut) and you win the fight- at least as long as you keep control.  In many cases it's the same with a knife or other weapon in a fight.  Assailants often have those instruments to intimidate and instantly dominate the opponent, and are taken unaware when the expected outcome doesn't happen.  In this manner, even though they instigate the fight, you can still work the element of surprise in your favor.

Bottom line?  Use the knife, the light, the multitool, the stick etc if it comes to that, but don't forget that you have many other options.

Def

I used to have a 120 lb. Great Dane who enjoyed wrestling and play fighting.  Once I saw that Dane take down a 200+ lb. man that he viewed as a threat - put him flat on his back on the ground in just an instant.

I was once attacked by a 90+ lb. German Shep which took me to the ground FAST - I barely saw him coming before I was on ground with his jaws around my arm.  Luckily for me, his owner was there to call him off.

I think people with limited experience of bigger dogs tend to underestimate them.  They can be astoundingly fast and powerful.

N

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 09:52:43 PM
Don also advocates ate Vic OHT as a stealth tactical , not totally wrong in my opinion . Some find him a bit abrassive , but a lot of his ideas are sound .

Chris

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 11:15:19 PM

Def

I used to have a 120 lb. Great Dane who enjoyed wrestling and play fighting.  Once I saw that Dane take down a 200+ lb. man that he viewed as a threat - put him flat on his back on the ground in just an instant.

I was once attacked by a 90+ lb. German Shep which took me to the ground FAST - I barely saw him coming before I was on ground with his jaws around my arm.  Luckily for me, his owner was there to call him off.

I think people with limited experience of bigger dogs tend to underestimate them.  They can be astoundingly fast and powerful.

I agree, they are fast and they are powerful, but if you take the teeth out of the equation, you get the upper hand.  I worked as a canine officer for many years and have fought more than my share of dogs, for play and otherwise.  The dog in my avatar was my greatest sparring partner, and I'll guarantee you they don't come any faster or smarter, and rarely any stronger than that one!

The point is still the same- the mind and body is the most effective tool or weapon, the rest is just details.

Def

* Pete.JPG (Filesize: 48.98 KB)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 11:19:18 PM
I remember this from a while back . Its difficult area this ,what with the UK laws . Yes we are allowed to defend ourselves but not allowed to carry something to defend ourselves with  ::) If we defended ourselves with a Swisstool we'd have to go through why we were carrying a locking blade as well .Most Brits dont spend anywhere near the time Americans do on this kind of thing . At the end of the day your just going to use what ever is at hand and fight like hell  :twak:
  He does have very good taste in Multitools though  :D Even if they are for very different reasons to my own .

Dunc

Dunc, for the last year I've been glancing through various British newspapers each day.

Unfortunately, they have a lot of stories like this one:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=561440&in_page_id=1770

On an average day the Daily Mail may have several stories like this - innocent people going about their normal daily business beaten to death or permanent brain damage by teen boys.  It appears that Britain is no longer the peaceful, law abiding country it once was.

N

Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 11:51:33 PM
Britain hasn't been peaceful and law abiding for at least 20 years, and is definatley getting a lot worse :(, my whole ethos on fighting and self defence is that it's better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 12:30:20 AM
I agree, they are fast and they are powerful, but if you take the teeth out of the equation, you get the upper hand.  I worked as a canine officer for many years and have fought more than my share of dogs, for play and otherwise.  The dog in my avatar was my greatest sparring partner, and I'll guarantee you they don't come any faster or smarter, and rarely any stronger than that one!

The point is still the same- the mind and body is the most effective tool or weapon, the rest is just details.

Def

I recall you telling about Pete before.  I've never seen a Dogo in the flesh, but it looks like he was a really cool dog.

Yes I agree about controlling the dog's jaws, but it may be easier said than done.

My Dane easily took people down without using his jaws.  He would slam one of his shoulders into the person's thigh or hip and knock them down.  Hard to describe exactly how he did it, but he was quite good at it.

N

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 01:47:41 AM
I remember reading that article quite a few years ago and thinking how interesting it was. We all realize how impractical most multis are for self-defense but it's nice to see the topic addressed in such a well-presented manner.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 05:52:56 AM

Dunc

It appears that Britain is no longer the peaceful, law abiding country it once was.

Now that depends on where you live .While there is a huge problem in some areas and its is increasing good old England isnt as bad as some people make out . Remember things could be worse , we could all live in Iraq . Am I the only Brit on here who has an ounce of patriotism left in them . The grass isnt always greener on the other side .
  Plus I've lived a very sheltered life and I intend for me and my family to carry on doing so  :D

Dunc

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 07:37:54 AM
In the UK and USA, I'd be considered a Patriot...

In Iraq, I'd be considered a terrorist... all because I wanted to protect my homeland from invading troops to save my country.  (Hmm... sounds like a Patriot to me?)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 10:02:05 AM
So your right Dunc some part's of the UK are still nice, unfortunatly a lot aren't, I've been unlucky enough to live in citys in all but 2 years of my life, and everyone of them has been an urban cesspit, about 200 yards north of my house (same street) a teenager was kicked and eventually stabbed to death last year, the pub down the end of my road was torched ::), and if you go round the corner there's a small stroppy army of hoodies there >:(

You cannot walk or ride more than 50 meters without there being broken glass and the pavement/cycle path, and get this I actually live in the nicer part of town!!!

So am I a patriot?...I used to be, and I am very proud of our past, but no, not anymore, this country has gone/going to the dog's and if I could I'd take my boy and leave :(

Sorry rant over :ahhh

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 06:59:23 PM
Do not apologise you are only expressing a sense of frustration that a lot of people feel with this country I retain a hope that we must bottom out soon and then the only way left to go is up

Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 07:00:28 PM
Do not apologise you are only expressing a sense of frustration that a lot of people feel with this country I retain a hope that we must bottom out soon and then the only way left to go is up
You got to hope so, haven't you :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21