Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hydration Packs for the Large?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Hydration Packs for the Large?
on: June 10, 2013, 09:21:47 AM
  Anyone have recommendations on a hydration pack for MTB trail biking? Was looking online at a Camelbak MULE, and one of the older versions is on sale at Big-5 Sporting Goods for $60. Rather try to get a newer one win that orange color if I get one, which is the newer redesigned version. Or is there another pack recommendation??

How much of this is hydration, and pack?

Camelbak seems to have the edge on the wider opening for a cleaning system, but have seen a lot of different versions on the 85+ folks that turned up on yesterday's trek. Think I was the only one that carried bottles & frame cages.

Figured would go with a pack to be more useful. Although am worried about fit, as I have a 54 inch chest. Could make an extension sternum strap I suppose, but would have to be comfortable in other areas too.

Do we have any larger folks here that have a hydration pack recommendation?
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Re: Hydration Packs for the Large?
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:35:48 AM

As diverse as this group is, would have thought at least someone here would of had some insight on hydration packs.
¬ Outback in Idaho

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 01:56:16 PM
I own 3 Camelbak hydration packs:

The Rocket:

The Mule (old model):

And the Transalp:

Out of these three the Mule and the Transalp see the most use while mountainbiking, I take the mule with me during the summer, when I only need to take a rainjacket with me (and my bike tool, multitool, cellphone, something to eat ...), I use the transalp when I'm going on a longer (the whole day) ride and I need to take more food with me, or when I need to take a bit of extra clothing with me on colder days.  I also use the Transalp for hiking.

The Rocket was the first one I bought, but it doesn't see much use anymore. 

I have a 40 inch chest, and the Rocket is a bit too small for me, the sternum strap is long enough, but the shoulder straps are forced to the outside because my shoulders are to wide.  The Mule is ok, the sternum strap sure is long enough but the shoulder straps also seem to be a bit too close to each other, it's not as bad as with the rocket, but when my wife is using it it just seems to fit her better than it does me.   The Transalp on the other hand fits just great for me.

Hope this makes sense, I found it pretty hard to explain in an other language than my own (dutch):shrug:.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:58:37 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:23:18 PM
  Aye, you did well.  :D

Heard some prefer an Osprey raptor something pack for the individual pockets. One unique feature is their removable roll-up tool pouch on the bottom of the pack. Quite slick.  :tu:

Osprey Raptor 14

Camelbak recommended the Lobo, though one must have a small pump to fit in there. Next was the newer Mule, followed by the Mule NV. The latter has hip-side pockets, articulating pads that keep the pack off your back, 61 more cubit foot of space, and a built-in rain cover for $35 more than the Mule.

2013 Lobo

2013 Mule

2013 Mule NV

2013 Hawg

CamelBak appears to be the more popular pack. Although they do have a lifetime warranty on normal usage, they are also quite expensive.

And here I thought picking out my first SAK was hard ... ! :think:
¬ Outback in Idaho

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 10:55:07 PM
My Transalp also has a build in raincover (which is great, in my opinion) and those "articulating pads" which don't do so much in my view.  I don't know if there the same as on the new Camelbak, but mine are made from a sort of 3D wire webbing thingy ... (see pic).

The biggest problem I have with my Mule is that I can't put my rainjacket and some kind of windstopper/fleece in it at the same time, and I need both of them on a cold day :).  I don't know if the new Mule is bigger than the old one  :-\.

I didn't know about the Osprey raptor, but it sure looks good.

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:19:03 AM
  On the way back from the bike shop, after getting the front derailleur semi-fixed from an accident, was debating that 2012 CamelBak Mule. Decided that I'd rather have something thinner on my back during the short & day trips.

Was looking for an orange colored 2012 Lobo, but could not find a one.   Did find a link at Campmor for a 2012 Lobo, decent price of $50 + free shipping in the US. Ordered that & a taste-filter too, those are $20. (2 refills are $10)  Will get a cleaning kit later on down the road.  :D

¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%