Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Keychain Sharpener

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
CRKT Keychain Sharpener
on: July 21, 2013, 07:38:14 PM
This one kind of flew under the radar this year, so to remedy this, I not only picked up this new Key Chain Sharpener (again- big failure in the name department at CRKT) designed by my good buddy Tom Stokes.  It's actually quite tiny but includes a lot of features.

This tool continues Tom's interesting direction of multitools that are designed to support other multitools, similar to the way the Get A Way Driver Torx is designed to maintain and enhance the Zilla and Zilla Jr, while at the same time being interesting and useful tools in their own right. 

The carbide inserts are great for quickly restoring an edge to hair popping sharp.

The Key Chain Sharpener is an excellent sharpener and has three sided carbide inserts so when one side wears out you can rotate a new side into position.

Also, there is a nice cutting hook hidden away under the rubber hat.  I like this little cutter- it has a bit wider mouth than many other cutters so it's able to cut some larger things.  I think a certain someone around here may need to replace all of the straps and handles on EDC bags with kevlar if he gets one of these....  :whistle:

On the end of the blade is a flathead screwdriver/light duty pry bar as well, so that there's as little wasted space as possible on this one.

There is also the obligatory bottle opener- no multitool should be without one these days and the Key Chain Sharpener knows that.  The bottle opener actually works quite well!

As you can see, the Key Chain Sharpener is also amazingly compact, which is cool too.  You will be amazed at how tiny it is when you hold it in what suddenly appear to be giant hands!

Here's CRKT's page on the Key Chain Sharpener so you can see Tom actually explaining it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: CRKT Keychain Sharpener
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:30:32 AM
I like it, that's something on my key chain that would be used other than keys.
CHEERS

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:54:05 AM
I find this tool so impressive. So compact and full of useful functions. Well done CRKT!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:03:02 AM
That looks cool, especially since I do a lot of traveling.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:54:34 AM
Well here I go again. Looks like another one that I must have. I am not a big fan of carbide sharpeners but this could come in handy for a emergency sharpener.

Offline Svadilfari

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:48:27 PM
Looks good - but I'm thinking that bottle opener would wind up hanging up on other things on the keychain ? If I had one, I suspect I'd remove the bottle opener (not many bottles here Down Under now have the type of tops that require that sort of opener)

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 12:42:44 AM
Looks good - but I'm thinking that bottle opener would wind up hanging up on other things on the keychain ? If I had one, I suspect I'd remove the bottle opener (not many bottles here Down Under now have the type of tops that require that sort of opener)

The good thing about the bottle opener is that it looks as if it's easily removable; I would've integrated the bottle opener with the keyring attachment, making the tool slimmer, though it'd interfere with whatever was hanging from it... hmm, maybe something closer to a belt buckle, with the opener on the closer half, and the other square for the keyring attachment?  Wouldn't add more than a quarter of an inch to the design, I'd imagine.  [|]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 12:54:21 AM
Looks good...wonder when it will reach the UK,and if it will be affordable?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 05:29:12 AM
I think a certain someone around here may need to replace all of the straps and handles on EDC bags with kevlar if he gets one of these....  :whistle:

Funny guy, eh?¿? It is pretty cool looking though.

*edit- :twak: :twak: :twak:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:53:30 AM by stealth007s »
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 07:53:15 AM
I think I would've preferred a carbide window punch over the bottle opener.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 02:11:04 PM
Rather like the look of that one :tu:

The replaceable bits are a winner I reckon.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:20:40 PM
Carbide sharpeners, bleh.  Otherwise interesting, though.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%