Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

deciding on a charge/wave: coupla questions

buck · 43 · 2640

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: deciding on a charge/wave: coupla questions
Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 06:47:48 PM
one charge on credit card?

:pok: :twak: No , 4 wave price = 1 charge  :rant:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...

us Offline Obi1shinobee

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 10:58:31 AM
An explanation of "knurled fasteners"  would be appreciated as well as what models germane to the discussion have or don't have as well as why it should matter  A search turns up many rabbit holes but no definitive thread..

The pic you posted above with the damascus scales has knurled fasteners/pivot screws. A regular Charge TTi has torx head ones that are more rounded.

Much obliged.  They appear to be a feature of the charge AL(X).  So why should that be a deal breaker?

Reasons I would rather have the torx (T10H tamper resistant torx) over knurled: I can buy the driver/bit, easier to adjust the tool's tension, or dismantle to clean or modify, rounded edges are less likely to mark surfaces like table tops or benches and it just looks better IMO. Don't get me wrong, I have MTs with the knurled screws and they are great, just think that if you're dropping good coin then you might as well benefit from doing so.

us Offline buck

Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 12:33:52 PM
Much obliged!  Thanks for helping me make a better decision.
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 01:31:08 PM
Much obliged!  Thanks for helping me make a better decision.

Consider going with the one that makes you happy. Forget the cost and the functions for a minute.
It is rare to find the perfect MT and it is easier to accept the faults in something that appeals to you.
Right, enough of my boring jibber jabber.

Welcome to the forum mate.  :cheers:  Don't forget to take pics for us when it they arrive.  :D

us Offline buck

Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 11:35:24 PM
Great advice!  Where were you when I was saying "I do" to my ex-wife?

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 11:40:26 PM
Great advice!  Where were you when I was saying "I do" to my ex-wife?

::)

ch Online Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: April 15, 2015, 02:53:22 PM
So, prices in Switzerland :facepalm:

To me, the Wave is simply an unfinished tool, has a lot of rough and sharp edges and is very uncomfortable. The Charge TTi does not only look better :D its far more comfortable to grip. Personally, I think its worth the higher price (even if its more than 5 USD).
LMprices.jpg
* LMprices.jpg (Filesize: 43.21 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline buck

Reply #39 on: April 15, 2015, 10:04:43 PM
I'm conversing with TTC about replacing the knurled fasteners for a black ironwood charge. 

The charge tti torx have a shorter screw and require recessing which the ironwoods aren't ready for but they may be able to route them.

Also discussing upgrading the pliers and keeping the scissors which requires a small grind along the edge of the new pliers to make it all fit.  And having the awl and sacrificing the dedicated flathead screwdriver (because there are bits for that anyway).

Also discussing black ceramic (shiny) vs. black oxide (flat black).  Advantage of ceramic being additional corrosion resistance instead of removing corrosion resistance.  But ceramic can chip.  But oxide can scratch.  Awaiting pictures. 

We'll see what extra they want for these mods, its already uncheap.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #40 on: April 15, 2015, 11:01:21 PM
I'm conversing with TTC about replacing the knurled fasteners for a black ironwood charge. 

(Image removed from quote.)

The charge tti torx have a shorter screw and require recessing which the ironwoods aren't ready for but they may be able to route them.

Also discussing upgrading the pliers and keeping the scissors which requires a small grind along the edge of the new pliers to make it all fit.  And having the awl and sacrificing the dedicated flathead screwdriver (because there are bits for that anyway).

Also discussing black ceramic (shiny) vs. black oxide (flat black).  Advantage of ceramic being additional corrosion resistance instead of removing corrosion resistance.  But ceramic can chip.  But oxide can scratch.  Awaiting pictures. 

Nice set up Buck  :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 12:05:23 AM

If you plan to use it... IMO... don't waste your $$$ on looks.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #42 on: April 16, 2015, 03:40:47 AM

If you plan to use it... IMO... don't waste your $$$ on looks.

words of wisdoms , listen to him  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD